corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Heat Problem *UPDATE*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Heat Problem *UPDATE*
Cybermonkey

User status: Offline
18th Jun 06 at 06:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

saying that, a computer using 100% of the CPU over a long period of time should not heat to such extremes
Cybermonkey

18th Jun 06 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah, also just check what is taking 100% of the cpu time, the process should be listed in the task manager...

ps, do you watch large AVI files?
Russ

18th Jun 06 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you only have 2 fans, and its a cheap shit case im not surprised, i have 4 case fanfs, cpu and gpu hsf's and a fan to cool hdd's and mine still gets toasty, if it an amd xp cpu i shouldnt worry to much though.
Cybermonkey

18th Jun 06 at 06:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

87 degrees on an AMD is still waaaay too hot, enough to damage it. my computer actually shuts down at 80 to prevent damage. i get alarms at 65 and 75... i have a shit case, fan at the front, fan at the back, decent hsf on CPU and fan on GPU
WATSON

18th Jun 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With the case off i have noticed a big diff heat wise But still running around the 701/80temp wise some times

Have been on ebay ect looking at heatsinks will get a new one of them and get new fans to replace old ones and get some extra then see how it goes from there

going to do fresh install of windows XP when i can find my internet disk cant find it anywhere

Is it safe to run with the case off?
Bart

18th Jun 06 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
87 degrees on an AMD is still waaaay too hot, enough to damage it. my computer actually shuts down at 80 to prevent damage. i get alarms at 65 and 75... i have a shit case, fan at the front, fan at the back, decent hsf on CPU and fan on GPU

not if its two years old.. older CPUs ran closer to 100C.

you definatly shouldnt have 100% CPU usage going on.

download Hijack This which details what processes are running.
run the file, and save it to a log file on your desktop.
then go to This website upload your log file and it will tell you if anything bad is running, which you can unload using the hijack program.

its a very handy little program. if you also wanted me to take a look at the log file email me it barteh@gmail.com
Dom

18th Jun 06 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like said, look in your processes and see whats causing the cpu to max out - then uninstall it or run a reg cleaner to disable it etc Though it sounds like spyware or a dodgy piece of software!

As for heatsinks, if you have an AMD XP processor then i would recommend the thermalright SI-97 and a Y-tech 90mm fan - processor only ever gets to 50c on extremly hot days

p.s - also there is the si-120 (which i believe fits amd XP/socket A) systems but requires you to buy a 120mm fan!

[Edited on 18-06-2006 by Dom]
Cybermonkey

19th Jun 06 at 06:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey

not if its two years old.. older CPUs ran closer to 100C.

you definatly shouldnt have 100% CPU usage going on.

download Hijack This which details what processes are running.
run the file, and save it to a log file on your desktop.
then go to This website upload your log file and it will tell you if anything bad is running, which you can unload using the hijack program.

its a very handy little program. if you also wanted me to take a look at the log file email me it barteh@gmail.com

mine is 4 years old and runs around the 40degree mark, 50 in australian hot temps

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll