corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question for everybody
Paul_J

User status: Offline
23rd May 06 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was steves example that made me get my head around it.

as I pictured myself at the gym, with the treadmill running putting a car on and it making a racket with the wheels wizzing underneathe - and realised I could probably just hold it there with like 1 finger and then push it lightly forward and it would go. Just would make a racket with the toy cars wheels wizzing underneath weird image in my head - all these people thinking wtf is he doing?
bradfincham

23rd May 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
exactly the same principle though

Yeh i know mate

Thankyou for making it so easy for myself and Paul to grasp!

Untill your example i had 2 minds about the whole situation?

Wheres Cyber gone? Back to flight simulator??
Steve
Premium Member

23rd May 06 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HERES THE PERFECT FUCKING EXAMPLE IV THOUGHT TO GET PEOPLES HEADS ROUND IT

Ok when your running on a tread mill the only reason you go nowhere is becuase your legs are pushing against amn equal momentum in the opposite direction.

Right, if you put some rollerskates on, on the treadmill, you would still be able to pull yourself to the end using your arms and a rope as easy as if you were on a fixed surface
Paul_J

23rd May 06 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ I'm picturing OJC on his skates falling all over the place on a treadmill
Cybermonkey

24th May 06 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
quote:

Yeh i know mate

get a grip, im still standing by my own conclusion of what happens. your wording was totally poor to begin with, and even after reading the question from a credible source could i understand precisely what it was saying, and i still believe an aircraft WILL NOT take off, no forward movement, no lift
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

david you tw@ i cant believe you are still arguing this, there WILL be forward movement read, my examples and realise you are wrong
3CorsaMeal

24th May 06 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as long as the plane is moving it will take off
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

READ MY TWO EXAMPLES TO SHOW HOW THE PLANE WOULD MOVE ON THE CONVEYOR BELT

Think of it this way, push a toy car along a treadmill your arm will still move at the same rate and use the same amount of force to get it to the end as it would if the car were on a solid surface

AND

Ok when your running on a tread mill the only reason you go nowhere is becuase your legs are pushing against amn equal momentum in the opposite direction.

Right, if you put some rollerskates on, on the treadmill, you would still be able to pull yourself to the end using your arms and a rope as easy as if you were on a fixed surface. To compare, the tread mill is the conveyor belt, the rollerskates and you are the plane and its wheels, the rope is the air, and your arms are the jets pushing against the air

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by Steve]
3CorsaMeal

24th May 06 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon so.

Brett
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still agree with Monkey, it won't take off.

In effect the plane will be stood still

quote:

conveyor belt that is moving at the same speed as the plane

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by loafofbrett]
Cosmo

24th May 06 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
READ THESE TWO EXAMPLES TO SHOW HOW THE PLANE WOULD MOVE ON THE CONVEYOR BELT

Think of it this way, push a toy car along a treadmill your arm will still move at the same rate and use the same amount of force to get it to the end as it would if the car were on a solid surface

AND

Right, if you put some rollerskates on, on the treadmill, you would still be able to pull yourself to the end using your arms and a rope as easy as if you were on a fixed surface. To compare, the tread mill is the conveyor belt, the rollerskates and you are the plane and its wheels, the rope is the air, and your arms are the jets pushing against the air

I understand both of these...but where is the forward momentum coming from for the plane? As the question says, the converyor belt speeds up as the plane does, so technically there would be zero airflow over the wings and therefore no lift.
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FFS my examples make it so clear, go back to school :@mad:
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
READ THESE TWO EXAMPLES TO SHOW HOW THE PLANE WOULD MOVE ON THE CONVEYOR BELT

AND

I understand both of these...but where is the forward momentum coming from for the plane? As the question says, the converyor belt speeds up as the plane does, so technically there would be zero airflow over the wings and therefore no lift.

the forward momentum is coming from the jet engines just as it would normally.

the speed of the conveyor belt is irrelevant as the wheels will just spin faster, the jet engines pushing against the air is fixed and not effected in anyway by the conveyor belt
bradfincham

24th May 06 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
quote:

Yeh i know mate

get a grip, im still standing by my own conclusion of what happens. your wording was totally poor to begin with, and even after reading the question from a credible source could i understand precisely what it was saying, and i still believe an aircraft WILL NOT take off, no forward movement, no lift

Calm down, or did you loose your sense of humour

The question is worded like that on purpose, its been posted on thousands of forums!

Ive read hundreds of replies, from RAF pilots and they all agree that the wheels have absoultely nothing to do with it, as the thrust will propell the plane down the conveyor belt as normal just the wheels will have to spin twice as fast due to the conveyor going the other way
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, its blatantly obvious when you think about smaller world examples
Cosmo

24th May 06 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the forward momentum is coming from the jet engines just as it would normally.

the speed of the conveyor belt is irrelevant as the wheels will just spin faster, the jet engines pushing against the air is fixed and not effected in anyway by the conveyor belt

so the plane would still move along the converyor belt, which would have to be as long as (if not longer) than a normal run way?
Steve
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes the conveyor belt would still need to be the length of the runway
Cosmo

24th May 06 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yes the conveyor belt would still need to be the length of the runway

stupid fucking question, got my head round it now though. I was imagining just a short converyor belt and it trying to take of on that

Landing would be interesting though
stuartmitchell

24th May 06 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will take off, read this on Integra forum

Brett
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

THe question is worded so that the conveyor belt equals the speed opposite to that of the plane.

The way the question is put, the plane wouldn't move at all.
Cybermonkey

24th May 06 at 11:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont work, the tyres wont be able to handle the speed, they will burst and the aircraft will skid uncontrollably off the conveyor
Cosmo

24th May 06 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
wont work, the tyres wont be able to handle the speed, they will burst and the aircraft will skid uncontrollably off the conveyor

but atleast the passengers would get to use those blow up slide thingys!!
RichR
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even though the wheels arnt driven per se - when the aircraft is on the runway/conveyor belt - it is through these wheels that forward propulsion is achieved surely!

If the wheels and hence ground speed is set to zero - as the conveyor belt moves at the same rate as the wheels, the aircraft essentially would be stationary with NO forward propulsion!

When on the conveyor belt, with no coherent wind conditions - there would be no difference between the relative air speed and ground speed, as the two are in contact - the two can only change once the aircraft has taken off

as these two are the same, I dont see that forward propulsion would be gained

Steve using your analogy; the toy car on the tread mill - in order to remain in equilibrium ( ie not move forwards or backwards) the force from your finger and gravity must be equal and opposite to the force generated between the tread mill and wheels - in order to move the car out of a state of equilibrium you will have to overcome the force of the treadmill - by applying an accelerant! this force would in no way be equal to the force required to move the toy car whilst not on the treadmill; it would be equal to the required acceration + the force required to keep the car in equilibrium

as such, if no forward motion (thrust force) is made by the aircraft, no lift will be generated by the wings; the plane wont take off!

thats in my opinion and I've been accepted to read a Masters of Aerodynamics at Southampton University starting September 2007 - although what do I know!

[Edited on 24-05-2006 by LiVe LeE]
gianluigi

24th May 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee
Cybermonkey

24th May 06 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee, we are arguing with idiots here.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Question for everybody 22 database queries in 0.1055360 seconds