corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » driveshaft issues - xe conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author driveshaft issues - xe conversion
alistairolsen

User status: Offline
19th May 06 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, trying to get the front end of my corsa together for the mot, bolted up the drivers side with no issues, all fitted fine. Cav equal length and a midified knuckle. When I came to do the passenger side the shaft is too long by about 5-10mm. You can get the balljoint on, and the bottom bolt in the strut, but you cant get the knuckle back to put in th top bolt.

I was told on mig and here that mk2 astra shafts fit? I compared the equal length and corsa long shafts and they were the same, and the cav short shaft was a few mm longer then the corsa short shaft.

I got an astra short shaft measured and it was the same as the cav one.

What can I do? Theres no point in fitting astra shafts if they are the same length?
lee mitchell

19th May 06 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u running a gearbox spacer
alistairolsen

19th May 06 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, 12mm. I bolted the box in place on the std mount at the front, then bolted in the new engine mount on the drivers side, and jacked the whole thing up till it was evel and there was a clear gap. without the spacer the bolts wouldnt pull up.
Scottish

19th May 06 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u should get corsa gsi drive shafts
then mk2 cavy inner cv joints (1989 they have 22 splines as does the corsa gsi has 22 splines i mean 22 splines on the driveshaft and inside the cv joints)
no need to change the outer cv joints.
alistairolsen

19th May 06 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes mate, yes thats the best idea.

I did this deliberatley as I wanted decent sized outer cvs and to use my equal length shaft. Im not chaing back to pissy bodgit shafts now.

What I want ton know is how people get driveshafts to fit and mine dont. Im beginning to think the astra shafts are shorter and my mates mismeasured, Ill check tomorrow.
lee mitchell

19th May 06 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id hardly say they are pissy bodgit shafts. when u start fucking bearings on the passenger side and taking the hubs with them u will see why people dont run them. and other peoples usually fit as they spend the money on getting the proper m tech ones instead of pissy bodgit astra /cav ones etc

[Edited on 19-05-2006 by lee mitchell]
alistairolsen

19th May 06 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres nothing wrong with cav/astra shafts bar the length. If the mk2 astra short shaft is even 10mm smaller then the cav one Itll fit fine. On the ground, the driveshafts sit flat, aos they are at their shortest point already. Provided I have a couple of mm of plung in them ay that point they will be fine.

I just need to know if the stra shafts are smaller, but seeing as no one can tell me Ill get hold of some tomorrow and compare them.

I am not up for spending every weekend changing outer cvs, so I decided to do the job properly, it just where I live I tend to have to rely on the net for info as any parts buying or machining is a 200 mile round trip.
lee mitchell

19th May 06 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done around 40 conversions using everything from astra shafts, cav shafts, m tech cossvaux, corsa gsi etc. u are saying theres nothing wrong with them bar the length. i understand this and this is what im trying to say. becasue they are slightly longer this is what causes the passenger side bearings to go and take the hub with it sometimes. not all people have this problem but some do. ive lost count of the people that have said theyre bearings have gone and need a new hub. i say "is it passenger side" and they say yea how did u know.and theres no need to change outer cvs often with corsa shafts. ask on here how many people have snapped them. i doubt the figure is even in double figures
alistairolsen

19th May 06 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand all that, but I had the equal length shaft and wanted to use it, and I would have had to buy the corsa gsi shafts and inner cvs, so I went this route. It will be fine if I can source a shorter passenger side shaft.

I was told the cav one wa the same length as the astra one by a guy on astra mk2.com, but perhaps he mismeasured. The cav shaft certainly doesnt fit, perhaps the astra one might?

I have a mate who put astra shafts into his corsa, so they obviously fit, just a case of why mine dont!

Ill get an astra shaft tomorrow and compare them. I really dont want to have to go and spend 100 quid on some smallblock shafts etc at this point!
GED2.0CORSA

20th May 06 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well my 2.0 has got f20 gearbox and cavi mk inners and sport/gsi shafts and 1600 hubs they have worded fine but im thinking that the passenger side bearing is going i dunno if this is what u mean lee mitchell but if it is i have learned my lesson ???

the passenger side front wheel has always been off camber a little any advice lee ???

[Edited on 20-05-2006 by GED2.0CORSA]
alistairolsen

20th May 06 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

naa, the smallblock shafts wnt kill bearngs, the cvs will be the only issue with those if you abuse them.

If you use big block hubs and end up with shafts that are too long, you will put a continuous side loading on the bearings which they were never designed for and this will kill them. Ive heard of folk levering the engine and box across the bay to get the shaft in!!
lee mitchell

20th May 06 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GED2.0CORSA
well my 2.0 has got f20 gearbox and cavi mk inners and sport/gsi shafts and 1600 hubs they have worded fine but im thinking that the passenger side bearing is going i dunno if this is what u mean lee mitchell but if it is i have learned my lesson ???

the passenger side front wheel has always been off camber a little any advice lee ???

corsa gsi shafts are more likely to snap than take bearings out. jack the car up and c if the wheel has any play in it at all. as for the camber issue. are u running coilovers like fk etc?
scriv

20th May 06 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had corsa gsi driveshafts with mk2 cav inner c,vs on my nova never had a problem with them snapping even with launching at 6k at the pod all day long and it was no standard xe either i used to run a 13.4 and other mates have also got the small block shafts they work fine
lee mitchell

20th May 06 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea tell me about it. people think theyre shit and always gna snap for some reason. theres alot of high powered 1.6's out there running standard shafts. plus alot cheaper than m tech etc
GED2.0CORSA

20th May 06 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee mitchell
quote:
Originally posted by GED2.0CORSA

corsa gsi shafts are more likely to snap than take bearings out. jack the car up and c if the wheel has any play in it at all. as for the camber issue. are u running coilovers like fk etc?

yep lee fk coilovers ??

its only passenger side tho thats the weird thing ??

thought i bent something but when i had my mot got the guy to check out the passenger side and seen nothin wrong underneath like ?
lee mitchell

20th May 06 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on fk's u can alter the camber by the 2 holes in the strut
ed

20th May 06 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wish I knew about the Corsa shaft mod when I fitted my engine Though, my Cossvaux shafts are proper bling, even though you can't see them
and-m

20th May 06 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FWIW Ive had the Astra shafts on for 2 years/10k or so and have had no problems. Everything was new at the time of conversion (cv's/hubs/bearings).
alistairolsen

20th May 06 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

astra mk2 gte? Are you running a gearbox spacer?
alistairolsen

21st May 06 at 07:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lee, have you ever compared the astra and cav shafts?
lee mitchell

21st May 06 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
ainsley_brader

21st May 06 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up
alistairolsen

22nd May 06 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the astra and cav/cally short shaft are the same length and wont fit with a gearbox spacer.

Im going to cut 5mm off the ends of the cav one and re machined the circlip groove in the lathe at work and see i thats enough. if not then ill need to ditch the sacer and wind the whole engine across the bay, prolly put a 6mm spacer behind the front gearbox mount and then wind the rear one up tight.

i will get them in, with a small amount of plunge left!
ainsley_brader

22nd May 06 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok keep us posted
and-m

22nd May 06 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
astra mk2 gte? Are you running a gearbox spacer?

yes and no

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll