corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clever car people - broster / rob / etc

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clever car people - broster / rob / etc
Paul_J

User status: Offline
30th Apr 06 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but wouldn't the pulleys have been locked - then the new cams just slid in? so its the same timing it was before - but not necisarily the best timing for the new cams?
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to set the timing properly on your new cams you'll need a set of verniers. if the cams slipped at any point then itll be noitced now the cams are wilder etc... what duration are they?
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing may not have been spot on before, bt the standard cams might not have shown up the problem
jr

30th Apr 06 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant see how they would have locked the timing paul when the pullies are attached to the cam's, sounds like its a tooth or 2 out max, as any more youd be gettign piston/vlve contact, and woudlnt run, is perfectley concivable that they have just misjudged the timing
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

turn the engine over by hand and see if the timing marks all line up.
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only 264 duration. 10.50 lift on inlet and 9.65 on exhaust or something.

I wasn't there jr - just assumed that's how they'd have done it.

could it not just be pinking because the map is all wrong at the moment?

By the look of it (stereo stations gone) I think maybe he removed the battery or something?

so when he started it - maybe it was trying to calibrate itself, which was the point he held it at 2.5k rpm ish for 20 mins (to run in the cams)

- thus maybe its just kinda pre-mapped itself a shit map due to that?

so any valve to valve or piston to valve contact would = engine already blown up yeh?

That was one of my main concerns.
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine wont "map itself" dude. if valves and pistons had met youd know about it. they would be funny noises comming at all revs!

264 is pretty mild really so id not say its the map, id say its the cam timing being out
jr

30th Apr 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes id imagine if the timing was that fucked you would have started it, and it would have died then and there
Jake

30th Apr 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with steve, broster, rob and jr - definately timing.
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"hello mr piston"
"hello mr valve"
"lets make love mr piston"
"but i have no hole for you to enter"
"now your do mr piston mwahahahahaah"

BEND MASH GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR burrrrrrrrrr
jr

30th Apr 06 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also cant see the ECU pre mapping itslef as such, as theres nothing it can really change, as the cams arent sensor realted like a AFM or TPS would be
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i once dropped a washer down the plug hole on my 106 gti i couldnt get it out so thought fuck it and started it, it was running like a dog, wouldnt rev properly thought id proper fucked it, i revved the crap out of it then it was alright ever since, i gess it had melted into the top of the piston or sumthing
jr

30th Apr 06 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL steve
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow, people like you are hard to come by.
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not Mine but this is what 106 gti pulleys look like

is there any adjustment on that? as my mate nick S got his car done at jamsport and said they adjusted his cams.
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lucky there steve
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, they are vernier pullies

but, from the sounds of it, the timing is out further than the adjustment on there would allow
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we did adjust his cam timing..... didnt realise they were sandard pullies!
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
yes, they are vernier pullies

but, from the sounds of it, the timing is out further than the adjustment on there would allow

I don't know, it only affects a small area of the power band.

from 1000-2500 rpm it sounds find, from 2500 - 3000 is sounds shit, from 3000-7200 rpm it sounds sweet as a nut. To me that doesn't sound like its too far out? surely if it was that far out it'd sound shit throughout the revs.

nick s also said his sounded absolutely dire, like a tractor, also stalling etc, then he got it to jamsport they tweaked it and mapped it and its sweet as a nut.
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but its idling like a bag of nails yes? and stalling unless you keep the revs up? (or maybe i just got the wrong idea from the video?)

still reckon youd be best getting it to somewhere who can tell you if its out, and then to somewhere who will set it up nicely
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
but its idling like a bag of nails yes? and stalling unless you keep the revs up? (or maybe i just got the wrong idea from the video?)

still reckon youd be best getting it to somewhere who can tell you if its out, and then to somewhere who will set it up nicely

yeh - but I've heard that the idle goes out the window and it stalls as soon as you whack cams in without remap. So that didn't bother me too much. just the weird noise scared me inbetween 2500-3000 rpm.

gti's don't idle that well in the first place, so with the cams and no map it's common knowledge on pgac that'll it be a bitch to drive.

nick also said his was stalling every time he clutched down etc too.

I don't really know where I could take it to get timing checked / sorted etc - neither do I really want to drive it much how it is.

I'll be driving it on friday to come back from uni. then on the monday to go to jamsport. If it survives that it should be cool.
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah his was running really lame when it arrived from what i remember!

just try not to make it make a funny noise for too long lol! get it up and itll be sorted on monday, your comming down early? so if need be we can get some bits to fix it for you!?
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm - guess so. broster you got my number?

I know it's a week away, but jamie originally said come down at 10:30am - but I could be there till 10:30am the next day.

what time do you think I should arrive? can't wait! I wish it was getting done tommorrow haha.
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, were not open tomorrow, well ill be there working on my car but thats it lol, then its catch up time, as when the rollers are in use not much gets done during hte day as the rollers block the neterance to the workshop lol!

i have your number yeah, if you need parts then we can find somewhere to get them the same day, but i doubt youll need to get any, come down before 10am if you wish, get some food etc. i wont be down there till 4ish really.....
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so on monday the 8th (not tomorrow) - you think I should still come up about 10:30 am?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clever car people - broster / rob / etc 22 database queries in 0.1085801 seconds