corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spooky, Rovers longbridge plant as it is today (pics)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spooky, Rovers longbridge plant as it is today (pics)
SVM 286

User status: Offline
11th Mar 06 at 03:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Theres loads down there dude, couple of those mad things the made, the SVT?

No, sadly they only made a small number of them Rob, and they were sold off quick smart, same as any remaining 260s to recoup some losses.

All the sellable stock was farmed out to suitable dealers, Royal Bank of Scotland had a controlling share in a lot of the useable stock.
SVM 286

11th Mar 06 at 03:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

UB40!

(wonders who will get why I find this amusing)

Fairly self explanatory I would have thought Sammo.

Took me a while to spot it on the brickwork though.
SVM 286

11th Mar 06 at 04:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jimbo, thanks for posting this mate.

Been intrigued and trying to find these images (if they are the ones you referred to originally) without any luck, ever since you mentioned them to me some time last summer, shortly after the Longbridge plant stopped prouction.

Sad isn't it.

Could you see the Americans letting this happen to Ford or GM, or the Germans allowing it to happen to Mercedes or BMW, or the French tolerating the same with regards to Peugeot, Renault or Citroen?

No, definitely not.

And they all have a surplus of car manufacturers to the tune of at least one compared to us.

We had ONE established British, large volume, mass production, affordable car manufacturer left.

It was all we had, and had been building cars for a century under one guise or another.

The greed of a few men combined with appaling mismanagement and a lacklustre, amateurish and distracted government has left us with nothing.

We can't even build our own cars anymore.

It's a f*cking discrace.

We might aswell pull down the shutters and close the UK.

MatG

11th Mar 06 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those pics certainly are old now! The Chinese company have been stripping the place litteraly for months now and container lorry after container lorry have been leaving longbridge ever since they brought it! They are taking a couple of the old tracks back to China to build a car for themselves, and apparently they are taking everything, not just the parts that make the cars, the walkway tracks, pipes, electrics everything! They are shockingly efficient and reilly clearing a lot of the site.

Which makes you wonder what track they are leaving in to produce a car that they have promised they will do? TO be fair a lot of longbridge is useless and very old. The site is so out of date the fact it can produce a car on a profit is a joke. You only have to look at the pics to see what a terrible place it is to work in. I have worked there twice on work experience (ok it was about 10 years ago) in the design department and walking around that place is soul destroying. Im not surprised they went under especially when no one wants to be there.

Its a shame to see longbridge suffer and the knock on effect around it is very apparent with lots of houses on the market and lots of people unemployed. However you have to think that it maybe for the best in the end The land is worth a fortune, the government let BMW and the phoenix 4 rape and pillage rover its now time for it to disappear in to the history books.
Rob_Lee
Banned

11th Mar 06 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i went round Longbridge few years back when i worked for Rover/MG.

Was amazing!

Saw lord Austins office still preserved how it was years and years ago, still with the legendary coin in the wall!!

Sad seeing how it is now.

I wouldnt mind the TF coupe! 220bhp turbo engine was planned for them... dont know whats in that one but still have it like!

flash22

11th Mar 06 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for all you who like this sort of thing on my travels looking for more pic's i found this forum http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/index.php
TNM

11th Mar 06 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the hardtop TF looks intresting!

Quite sad to see it in that state tho
ed

11th Mar 06 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Jimbo, thanks for posting this mate.

Been intrigued and trying to find these images (if they are the ones you referred to originally) without any luck, ever since you mentioned them to me some time last summer, shortly after the Longbridge plant stopped prouction.

Sad isn't it.

Could you see the Americans letting this happen to Ford or GM, or the Germans allowing it to happen to Mercedes or BMW, or the French tolerating the same with regards to Peugeot, Renault or Citroen?

No, definitely not.

And they all have a surplus of car manufacturers to the tune of at least one compared to us.

We had ONE established British, large volume, mass production, affordable car manufacturer left.

It was all we had, and had been building cars for a century under one guise or another.

The greed of a few men combined with appaling mismanagement and a lacklustre, amateurish and distracted government has left us with nothing.

We can't even build our own cars anymore.

It's a f*cking discrace.

We might aswell pull down the shutters and close the UK.

Point is, British people can't do anything anymore. The whole British manufacturing industry is down the pan for this exact reason. I don't know why it's happened, but money is definately something to do with it. Attitude to work is another.
Dav

11th Mar 06 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange pics. As said, like a scene from 28 Days Later or something!
What's with all the Oriental looking script on everything? (witten on car, the wall signs, the light signs etc.)
langey

11th Mar 06 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Point is, British people can't do anything anymore. The whole British manufacturing industry is down the pan for this exact reason. I don't know why it's happened, but money is definately something to do with it. Attitude to work is another.

its not that the british people cant do the work, its just the men at the top want more money for themselfs, the best way to do that is move factorys abroad to countrys where workers get paid in pennys over here we cant live off pennys becuase everything is soooo expensive.
Tom

11th Mar 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

UB40!

Fairly self explanatory I would have thought Sammo.

Took me a while to spot it on the brickwork though.

My dads old cavalier 130 jobby years ago had ub40 in reg quality music

This is very sad btw totally agree with svm
Sam
Premium Member

11th Mar 06 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes - amusing that it was written there, yet because of all the redundant personnel.

Scott F

11th Mar 06 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Developing countries producing goods at half the price we can hasnt helped either! makes me sick to think of how good our manufacturing industry once was and what it is now! you look at anything you buy now and it will have been made in some foreign country! its a fucking joke!
mwg

11th Mar 06 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame it went tits up but I'm not gonna miss Rovers/MGs
RS6

27th Feb 07 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres the org link to this on the website that goes in, i remember seeing another link to all these pics?

Robin
Premium Member

27th Feb 07 at 23:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

28dayslater.co.uk
RS6

27th Feb 07 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah cheers! you don't have the thread link by any chance (help a 56k out)
Hoddo

27th Feb 07 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam

UB40!

UB40 = Unemployment Benefits, Form 40 shouldnt laugh really but meh
Robin
Premium Member

27th Feb 07 at 23:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There you go

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9321
Rachel H

27th Feb 07 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed

Give us a reason to fight a war and we will win it.
X 60RSA

27th Feb 07 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its mad, should be going for a look around myself soon!
X 60RSA

27th Feb 07 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

British engineering is going down the pan due to cheap foreign labour, stuff being subbed abroad for people to slave away for a quid an hour!
j10E W

28th Feb 07 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i want to go in there so bad
Mark330d

28th Feb 07 at 00:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder where the warehouse full of k series head gaskets are
Robin
Premium Member

28th Feb 07 at 00:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll be at Powertrain's abandoned premises.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spooky, Rovers longbridge plant as it is today (pics) 22 database queries in 0.0157900 seconds