corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » losing friends over a copyright issue

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author losing friends over a copyright issue
Nismo

User status: Offline
7th Feb 06 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Like the guy said did you ask to take a photo of the car?

Ian does not need permision Nis

Why not? Maybe that guy didnt want any pictures of his car taken? and now his car is part of the dispute , he could turn around t part patys and say remove or destroy the images.
rustyarchs

7th Feb 06 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this true??

''ok, there are a number of factors to consider here.

a. a photographer who takes a photo, owns that photo.
b. a photo of a car owned by somebody has logical rights to the use of that photo.

tom / lowlife / 4low should have asked if it was ok to use your photo to advertise, correct....

BUT...

if you make profit from that photo, you will have lowlife to answer to.

if someone wants to use a photo of yours for advertising purposes, you are entitled to compensation. lowlife is then entitled to claim compensation from you, for making profit from a photo of his car (without his prior permission).

lets be illustrative for a moment.
for example, if someone wanted to use a photo that id taken of my brothers car for an advert, i would expect to be asked, as its my photo.

i decide, without asking simon, that yes, use the photo, and ill have some royalties, thankyou.

simon would be entitled to claim from me, at least a percentage of the value gained from the photo iv taken.

internet intellectual rights and advertising is funny business but the basics are thus.

1. a photographer has rights to a photo he takes.
2. a person has rights if their person is contained in any photo, or a distinctive item (such as a custom vehicle) owned by them in a photo, or if they have not previously agreed to waive their rights.''

could the guy counter claim and get money of him if icy is succesful??

and like nis says could teh owner do anything if he didnt want the pics used?

icy you bad man for starting a war
Nismo

7th Feb 06 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im afraid after reading the thread through i 90% agree with them on there,

Ian isnt a professional photgrapher nd even though thats not the point, i agree about the part where he was offering Sigs for £2 each on here.

He was going against the coupyright of the car picture companys and its the same thing , he was using there images to make a profit!!!

untill he becomes a pro he cant do anything about it imo.

Otherwise i could right to Bansai now and demand £200 for the picture i took of my car that they featured in Banzai 2 months ago, i did not send it to them they picked it up after it was posted on the net , but if i do write to them they are simply going to laugh and tell me to do 1.

I suggest Ian if you dont want this to happen again then you watermark the centre of the image or do not post them on the net at all. Once you host them you are offering them to an open community to do what they want with them , i know this because the abuse department for the ISP i work for has claims like this allot that people have copied site layouts and stuff but once its on the net its public content.
Adam_B

7th Feb 06 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the image had icys logo in the bottom corner, they cut it off.
Adam_B

7th Feb 06 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes a member of the NJU, as far as im aware thats close enough to being a pro.
ssj_kakarot

7th Feb 06 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its obviously his photo so hes in the right, in terms of the law i think lol.

but to be fair you did sort of go about it the wrong way, obviously i dont know the full story but the first page were you posted you want £200 quid or a free bra was sort of an invitation for people to have a go at you.

i think most people will have been commenting on that rather than the bigger picture ( no pun intended ).

im sure if you just said to the owner of the site or whatever will you please take it down or put my name back and and offer me a small bit of money for it ill be happy, it would have been fine.

i'm no photographer or what have you no intrest in it at all really, but i cant see some one stumping up £200 for that picture, regardless if its worth it or not, or if your a professional or not.

but short of it they shouldnt steal, so they should at least appologise rather than threating that they will see you in court.
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rustyarchs
is this true??

''ok, there are a number of factors to consider here.

a. a photographer who takes a photo, owns that photo.
b. a photo of a car owned by somebody has logical rights to the use of that photo.

tom / lowlife / 4low should have asked if it was ok to use your photo to advertise, correct....

BUT...

if you make profit from that photo, you will have lowlife to answer to. not in this case. Ian never sold the picture, he is claiming for breach of copyright

if someone wants to use a photo of yours for advertising purposes, you are entitled to compensation. lowlife is then entitled to claim compensation from you, for making profit from a photo of his car (without his prior permission). owner of the car is no entitled to anything in this case.

lets be illustrative for a moment.
for example, if someone wanted to use a photo that id taken of my brothers car for an advert, i would expect to be asked, as its my photo.

i decide, without asking simon, that yes, use the photo, and ill have some royalties, thankyou.

simon would be entitled to claim from me, at least a percentage of the value gained from the photo iv taken.

internet intellectual rights and advertising is funny business but the basics are thus.

1. a photographer has rights to a photo he takes.
2. a person has rights if their person is contained in any photo, or a distinctive item (such as a custom vehicle) owned by them in a photo, or if they have not previously agreed to waive their rights.''

could the guy counter claim and get money of him if icy is succesful?? no see above

as above
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Im afraid after reading the thread through i 90% agree with them on there,

Ian isnt a professional photgrapher nd even though thats not the point, i agree about the part where he was offering Sigs for £2 each on here.

He was going against the coupyright of the car picture companys and its the same thing , he was using there images to make a profit!!!

untill he becomes a pro he cant do anything about it imo.

Otherwise i could right to Bansai now and demand £200 for the picture i took of my car that they featured in Banzai 2 months ago, i did not send it to them they picked it up after it was posted on the net , but if i do write to them they are simply going to laugh and tell me to do 1.

I suggest Ian if you dont want this to happen again then you watermark the centre of the image or do not post them on the net at all. Once you host them you are offering them to an open community to do what they want with them , i know this because the abuse department for the ISP i work for has claims like this allot that people have copied site layouts and stuff but once its on the net its public content.

do you know what proffessional means??? to be a professional you need to earn 75% or more of your income from photography. thats it. you can be crap and still be a professional. being a pro does not make you any different to me or ICY. once you take a picture you have copyright and no one can publish/use it without your say so.

as for banzi yes you are correct you can sue them because they have breached your copyright
Icy

7th Feb 06 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot
but to be fair you did sort of go about it the wrong way, obviously i dont know the full story but the first page were you posted you want £200 quid or a free bra was sort of an invitation for people to have a go at you.

i think most people will have been commenting on that rather than the bigger picture ( no pun intended ).

im sure if you just said to the owner of the site or whatever will you please take it down or put my name back and and offer me a small bit of money for it ill be happy, it would have been fine.

i'm no photographer or what have you no intrest in it at all really, but i cant see some one stumping up £200 for that picture, regardless if its worth it or not, or if your a professional or not.

but short of it they shouldnt steal, so they should at least appologise rather than threating that they will see you in court.

thats roughy from this guide
http://media.gn.apc.org/feesguide/photo.html#Internet
should be more as its used 5x

i didnt knw there were folk on the site that knew the guy that runs the site/store
ssj_kakarot

7th Feb 06 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not saying the price you quoted isnt worth it ect, i just meant i really cant see the chump that stole it wanting to pay £200 for it.
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im not saying the price you quoted isnt worth it ect, i just meant i really cant see the chump that stole it wanting to pay £200 for it.

of course he is not wanting to pay it however he is unlikely to have a choice lol
ed

7th Feb 06 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of the comments on that site are rediculous. They are saying that because Icy is an enthusiast it's ok for other enthusiats to steal his pictures. It's exactly the same as another designer coming over to my flat, studio or whatever, looking through my sketch books, portfolios, websites hard drive or whatever and nicking my designs and inventions. I would be very pissed off in this situation, especailly as the person could have just asked. It's not difficult.
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no one would steal your designs to be fair
Chris Bingham

7th Feb 06 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What a load of fuds on that site.

I always knew the VAG scene to be narrow minded but they are giving it "if you are a real enthusiast then you wouldn't mind" and all that nonsense.

If you are entitled to it, go for it. Sell you VAG and get a Vaux. Not nearly as many Fuds on this site.
ed

7th Feb 06 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You big gay
ainsley_brader

7th Feb 06 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only thing i can see that icy has done wrong is to ask for a free car bra. Just the thought of fitting a car bra should be a criminal offence.

On a more serious note icy you say about losing friends but looking at that thread are they really friends? Doesnt look like they have ,uch respect for you from this angle.

I would pursue it al the way.
ssj_kakarot

7th Feb 06 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

of course he is not wanting to pay it however he is unlikely to have a choice lol

----------------------------------------------------------

you missed my point, legally he might indeed have to pay for it, but if he didnt mention £200 to begin with it might have went down a more understanding way, and could have been sorted out with out the use of lawyers.
ssj_kakarot

7th Feb 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fucks a car bra by the way?
Chris Bingham

7th Feb 06 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
fucks a car bra by the way?

Stops tits falling out your motor
ssj_kakarot

7th Feb 06 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol thought thats what seat belts were for.
Icy

7th Feb 06 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why i was sayin i could try get discount on one or a free one, cheaper than what its gona cost him now.
i dont see them as friends, just associates on a forum
thought about it before posting but i just cant sit back and let them take me as a mug.
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
You big gay

yes
vibrio
Banned

7th Feb 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

----------------------------------------------------------

you missed my point, legally he might indeed have to pay for it, but if he didnt mention £200 to begin with it might have went down a more understanding way, and could have been sorted out with out the use of lawyers.

it should be sorted without lawyers thought.
Icy

7th Feb 06 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i never mentoned £200
the guy did that knows the guy i sent email to
jr

7th Feb 06 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it very gay

ross puts his argument across well though

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » losing friends over a copyright issue 22 database queries in 0.1081810 seconds