corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » LOL - Apple Technical Support

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LOL - Apple Technical Support
dave17

User status: Offline
1st Feb 06 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ipod has been broken for ages - doesnt turn on, makes clonking noise, pc doesnt recognise it.

So finally got round to calling Apple to see what i can do. Got through to technical support.

they checked my serial number, and said that its out of warranty - fair enough.

but then they also said they cannot offer me techinal support because iv had it so long (is only the last clickwheel model, 40gb)

so i jus said.....

Me - 'it makes a clonking noise and doesnt turn on, what shall i do?'

Apple - 'buy a new one'

Me - 'lol, nice one' *hangs up*

idiots
VegasPhil
Premium Member

1st Feb 06 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How helpful

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ojc

1st Feb 06 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scandlous, don't buy another one just buy a Creative Zen Micro and tell Apple to fcuk off.
dave17

1st Feb 06 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like Ipod though, by far the better.

Did make me laugh tho
SXi_Tim

1st Feb 06 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got the creative one, can't fault it, lasted longer than the g/f's ipod.
Ojc

1st Feb 06 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, people only own Ipods so they can say to their friends "I've got a Ipod" if you say to them "I've got a Creative Zen" they are like "WTF?" even though the latter is much better.

Anal.
Ally

1st Feb 06 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother asked for an Ipod, ollie do u have a creative zen?

Stuck on which to buy him as i wont buy him the ipod if i can get somthing more reliable that holds more music cheaper
Gg_mf

1st Feb 06 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave17 do u have the number for Apple Technical support? My ipod battery is playing up, i should have about a month left on warrant, dont know whats wrong with it but i charge it up all day but it saus the battrey is dead. Thanx
SXi_Tim

1st Feb 06 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gg_mf
Dave17 do u have the number for Apple Technical support? My ipod battery is playing up, i should have about a month left on warrant, dont know whats wrong with it but i charge it up all day but it saus the battrey is dead. Thanx
this is exactly what my g/f's ipod did, phoned apple and got the same sort of response as above
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you didnt follow the instructions with the battery did you?

Your meant to let it charge fully, then use ALL the power before you recharge for the first 10 or so times charging it. Otherwise the battery has a kinda memory type thing that shortens the amount it will charge!
Gg_mf

1st Feb 06 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive heard its happend to a couple of people, its sill really as they are quite expensive and its more or less the same common problem that people are having with them and they dont wont to know.
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ive heard its happend to a couple of people, its sill really as they are quite expensive and its more or less the same common problem that people are having with them and they dont wont to know.

It's most likely due to the fact that they use a rechargeable NiCad battery, and many people do not fully understand the concept of Nickel Cadium. If you do not follow the proper charge/discharge procedures, a nickel cadium battery will create a "memory" and shorten it's life, both the life span of the battery, as well as how long it can hold a charge.
SXi_Tim

1st Feb 06 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

It's most likely due to the fact that they use a rechargeable NiCad battery, and many people do not fully understand the concept of Nickel Cadium. If you do not follow the proper charge/discharge procedures, a nickel cadium battery will create a "memory" and shorten it's life, both the life span of the battery, as well as how long it can hold a charge.
if you put it in charge all night though, it doesn't even turn on...even if the battery was shit it should stay on for a few mins after been on charge all night??
Gg_mf

1st Feb 06 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I charge mine all day at work and i use it too and from work and it used to last about 5 days as i only used it for half an hour each day. When i switch if off i make sure i have the lock on aswell so i cant press the buttons. Now i charge it and half way down the steps from work it beeps and aparantly its dead.
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXi_Tim
quote:
quote:

if you put it in charge all night though, it doesn't even turn on...even if the battery was shit it should stay on for a few mins after been on charge all night??

thats more than likely not a battery problem, unless you never allowed it to loose its charge at all and maybe it just got fucked up!
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well I charge mine all day at work and i use it too and from work and it used to last about 5 days as i only used it for half an hour each day. When i switch if off i make sure i have the lock on aswell so i cant press the buttons. Now i charge it and half way down the steps from work it beeps and aparantly its dead.

you not meant to charge it that much, thats why yours is fucked. If you had allowed it to fully run out before you charged it the first few times it wouldnt have this problem.
dave17

1st Feb 06 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ipod warranty returns / techical support - 0870 876 0753

prepare yourself for a conversation with an american
Gg_mf

1st Feb 06 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks dave. Did they not give u a price for repair even when not under warranty.
dave17

1st Feb 06 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nop
Cybermonkey

1st Feb 06 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you didnt follow the instructions with the battery did you?

Your meant to let it charge fully, then use ALL the power before you recharge for the first 10 or so times charging it. Otherwise the battery has a kinda memory type thing that shortens the amount it will charge!

thats not true, even older iPod batteries can hold their charge even with daily use for 2 years plus. my 3rd gen is almost 2 years old now, and i manage to get 10 hours playback time out of it before the battery runs flat, and i run it down sometimes, sometimes charge it when its 3/4 full etc etc and it hasnt broken on me once. there is nothing better on the market yet IMO. the whole battery fiasco was just another media hyper-over-exageration. i know someone with a 1st gen ( 4 years old) still running sweet as a nut
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey

thats not true, even older iPod batteries can hold their charge even with daily use for 2 years plus. my 3rd gen is almost 2 years old now, and i manage to get 10 hours playback time out of it before the battery runs flat, and i run it down sometimes, sometimes charge it when its 3/4 full etc etc and it hasnt broken on me once. there is nothing better on the market yet IMO. the whole battery fiasco was just another media hyper-over-exageration. i know someone with a 1st gen ( 4 years old) still running sweet as a nut

It is true! Read up on rechargeable NiCad batteries, or even look in your Ipod manual thing that came with it. You must of let it run down enough the first few times you charged it, after that you can charge it whenever, but the first few are the most important.

Same goes for mobiles and other stuff that uses NiCad batteries, they'll all say to do the same.
Cybermonkey

1st Feb 06 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, a conditioning charge of 16 hours is required for the FIRST charge, not the first 10 charges FFS
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yes, a conditioning charge of 16 hours is required for the FIRST charge, not the first 10 charges FFS

actually it goes for anytime you charge it, but the first few are most important to get the battery to charge as much as possible from the beginning.

If you keep refreshing the battery (charging before its fully discharged or down to last 5% or so) then the battery will gradually charge less and less until its pretty much nothing.

So yeah you can just do it the first time, but if you dont do it for a while after then it'll of been pointless.
Cybermonkey

1st Feb 06 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you explain the battery life on my ipod then?
Cosmo

1st Feb 06 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
how do you explain the battery life on my ipod then?

I dont know, Im guessing you have managed to let it run down enough some of the times you've charged it, probably without realising.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll