corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Which engine route??

Poll: Which engine route??
  X16XE on TB's
  C16XE on TB's
  C20XE
  C20LET

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which engine route??
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
14th Dec 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it will make up for it on the straights though, if, and only if you havent crashed and burnt to your death on the previous corner
mwg

14th Dec 05 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if it were to more than make up for it on the straights then a 2.0 would put in better lap times even if it went round the corners not quite as quick! would have to a very very tight and twisty almost go kart like track for it not to be able to I would imagine
Nic Barnes

14th Dec 05 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i give up. its not like ive experienced drivng xe's and let's for years, lol.
Jambo

14th Dec 05 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no replacement for displacement

An X16 would handle better yes as theres less weight, but TBH i wouldnt say the difference is *THAT* noticable as having drivien an x14xe for 4 years and an LET in the same car for a year the difference is neglegable. Having said that i have not "tracked" it.

On a warm day with good tyres there is no such thing as traction loss in an LET (std power). So long as your not a big girl and can handle holding the steering wheel with one hand theres no problem with that power at all. (a clio 182 comes with only 22bhp less..)

In short this is an "argument/compettion" that will never have a clear "winner" or "whos best" as its just a my dad is harder than your dad situation.

They all have there advantages, and disadvantages. Individuals prefer different styles in their driving and not everyone is on the same budget. Reliability should be no better or worse on any of the enbgines, most XE/LETs are at least 10years old, pipes perish, wires/connections rust/wear out. So reliablilty would suffer.

In short. Shut up u bunch of gaylords

mwg

14th Dec 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know you have. I'm just trying to understand how a 2.0 goes round the corners slightly worse than a 1.6 but then goes alot faster down the straights to make up for it but would still lose?
Nic Barnes

14th Dec 05 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it depends as obviously if the 20xe was 50bhp more it would be quicker

so right then, both 180bhp, 1600 16v will kill the 20xe
Nic Barnes

14th Dec 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i should add quicker on the straights btw
Siberia

14th Dec 05 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by muppetsport

i reckon the 1.6 would break before the 2.0 though.....
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo

An X16 would handle better yes as theres less weight, but TBH i wouldnt say the difference is *THAT* noticable as having drivien an x14xe for 4 years and an LET in the same car for a year the difference is neglegable. Having said that i have not "tracked" it.

On a warm day with good tyres there is no such thing as traction loss in an LET (std power). So long as your not a big girl and can handle holding the steering wheel with one hand theres no problem with that power at all. (a clio 182 comes with only 22bhp less..)

In short. Shut up u bunch of gaylords

get on a track and you will see its a different world to a road dude

also a clio 182 has 22bhp less! what the fuck, dont you understand torque or power delivery of a turbo engine compared to a NASP engine! oh my! also the fact a clio as designed with that engine in mind etc!

i hope that was a joke!
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
quote:

i reckon the 1.6 would break before the 2.0 though.....

i dunno mine is going fine now, had problems with parts that were old, i know of many a c20xe that has bust its guts before now! veen a fresly rebuild one!
mwg

14th Dec 05 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yes but the point I'm making is do the same mods to each engine and then see what happens
Siberia

14th Dec 05 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many starters have you used mark? nah my point is that a 2.0 would be mildly tuned to reach the 180bhp point were as the 1.6 would be heavly modded/rpm limits through the roof...

dont get me wrong i love my c16xe... but i just think the 2.0 with sorted suspension would be better(do a faster lap or laps) than a 1.6
Nic Barnes

14th Dec 05 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then the 1600 16v would still win
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
how many starters have you used mark? nah my point is that a 2.0 would be mildly tuned to reach the 180bhp point were as the 1.6 would be heavly modded/rpm limits through the roof...

dont get me wrong i love my c16xe... but i just think the 2.0 with sorted suspension would be better(do a faster lap or laps) than a 1.6

you run a 11.5:1 compression ratio and a brand new engine built with high tollerences and you will suffer. i put a brand new one on and all is going well so far. lasted a while, my engine could have been build with a lower compression and it would have made a little less power but would start smack on.... depends how far you want to go.
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i reitterate the point, ITS A TRACK CAR HES TALKING ABOUT SO LETS HAVE LESS OF THE RELIABILTY SHITE! how many proper rae cars are build to last more than a year lol!
Siberia

14th Dec 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster

you run a 11.5:1 compression ratio and a brand new engine built with high tollerences and you will suffer. i put a brand new one on and all is going well so far. lasted a while, my engine could have been build with a lower compression and it would have made a little less power but would start smack on.... depends how far you want to go.

ok ok keep your panties on...
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by broster

ok ok keep your panties on...

its a sensitive topic, im happy it works at the moment lol
Teddy

14th Dec 05 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can honestly say i have driven brosters car and i have driven a c20xe corsa.

The main thing is torque - what the 16 lacks in torque it makes up for in driveability.

I felt perfectly happy nailing brosters car round corners twisty roads, and it felt similar to mine hadling wise.

The 20xe felt a bit more twichy no where near as stable.

For me to choices come out of this.........

16xe
20let

Depends what your trying to achieve however.

Muppet has it spot on - the let wil be uber fast but corners compaired to the 1.6 wont happen as well - you would need to spend a vast amount of cash to even get remotely close on the track or on a tight b road.

Brosters car (sorry this is just a good example) is a hoot to drive it gives good feedback and goes like stink - would show a clean set of heals to more powerful motors.
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers ted!

i think the fact muppet (who has one of the fastest corsas) has said that a 1.6 16v tuned will be better on a track should sum it up for people. but no... never mind
Teddy

14th Dec 05 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its always going to hold different things for people Mark.

Thing is half the people that comment on the matter use "hearsay" anyway and devise opinions on what they are told and read on the internet.

Its garbage.

I have driven both and i have my opinion - thats it. If someone has a different opinion then thats fine not a problem.

but some people should think about what they are typing before they hit the submit button,

The 20xe is an amasing engine miles ahead of its time and was the first time Vauxhall had mass produced such a good engine - the engine was discontinued in 1993 yet still is the weapon of choice today says something - but there was a reason why it never was put in a Corsa, dont get me wron a c20xe corsa is a quick route to power - but in compairsion to the 1.6 on the track there is no contest. The 16 would chew it every time (if we talk about your car in particular) I know i have seen it many times!!!

the fact is the engines we are talking about are useful for totally different purposes and i think this is what people dont get.

[Edited on 14-12-2005 by Teddy]
Nic Barnes

14th Dec 05 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i drove the greyskull bus as a 1600 16v and without a doubt it was a go kart. now its a go (on the straights ) kart
mwg

14th Dec 05 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see both sides of the argument and come from people with experience etc. but I'd still like to know what would actually happen as in put a 1600 on tbs against a 20xe on tbs and see what happens on the track. then I would take that as the answer
broster
Premium Member

14th Dec 05 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Teddy
Its always going to hold different things for people Mark.

Thing is half the people that comment on the matter use "hearsay" anyway and devise opinions on what they are told and read on the internet.

Its garbage.

I have driven both and i have my opinion - thats it. If someone has a different opinion then thats fine not a problem.

but some people should think about what they are typing before they hit the submit button.

this is true but alot of people havent driven a throttle bodies 1.6 16v, i can put money on that. and alot of people have commented in this thread..... so how can they compare.
Teddy

14th Dec 05 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i drove the greyskull bus as a 1600 16v and without a doubt it was a go kart. now its a go (on the straights ) kart

On the coilovers with a stock engine i think you will agree the car was a hoot.
I could literally throw and abuse it totally into the corners and it loved it.
Wasnt the quickest but my it was fun
mwg

14th Dec 05 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I admit I havent driven either I just wanna know what would happen if they were put head to head but no one seems to have actually done that to prove that one is quicker than the other... they just say on here that the 1600 would win or like I say I think the 2.0 would win

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Which engine route?? 22 database queries in 0.1044450 seconds