corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » National Vehicle Surveilance System :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author National Vehicle Surveilance System :(
Paul_J

User status: Offline
16th Nov 05 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out story over at this story over at pistonheads. It's rather worrying.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=12432

Basically a huge rollout of number plate reading cameras in major area and on all motorways. Apparently for tax, insurance and mot checking - but in all likelyhood speed enforcement too.

I don't know about you lot but I'm feeling oppressed.

[Edited on 16-11-2005 by Ian]
City

16th Nov 05 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do you drive around with no tax, insurance and mot??

Ojc

16th Nov 05 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by City
why do you drive around with no tax, insurance and mot??

Exactly, personally I feel pleased about it. If someone crashed into me with non of the above I personally would'nt be to happy about it.

Maybe this way its a good deterant.
Paul_J

16th Nov 05 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm... so you don't mind the fact that your speed will be checked over an average of every 400 yards you travel?
bradfincham

16th Nov 05 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They wont be able to check speed as motoring groups will go crazy,

each camera has to cost say £1000, every 400m,
thats £2000 a mile

theres gotta be a total of say 20,000 miles of motorways in the uk

thats
40 million just on the cameras

BLAIR - concentrate on sorting the illegals and those sitting on there arses rather than trying to stop us speeding!!

bradfincham

16th Nov 05 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that 99.9% of people in the uk would be banned pretty soon
City

16th Nov 05 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Erm... so you don't mind the fact that your speed will be checked over an average of every 400 yards you travel?

not really grown out of speeding everywere now
Russ

16th Nov 05 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unemployment is at a low brad, basicly, if you havent got job and you live in the UK you dont want one..
Ojc

16th Nov 05 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He generates revenue from motorists, where as shipping illegals out costs him money.

Come on, what does everyone in the world want to do? Make money not waste it, Blair is doing the same and its the motorists which 99.9% of the time are the ones that get stung.
Ojc

16th Nov 05 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
unemployment is at a low brad, basicly, if you havent got job and you live in the UK you dont want one..

Not sure whats that got to do with it but I totally agree, everyone could have a job if they wanted, even if it meant working in McDonalds.
Paul_J

16th Nov 05 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by City
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

not really grown out of speeding everywere now

But the point is, everyone speeds - I go on a motorway and stick to the 70 mph limit and will be overtaken by everyone. If your driving at 3am with no traffic about down a 30 limit, you'll have to sit exactly at 30 - not 34 ... I'm not talking about Speeding, I'm talking about 'accidently exceeding the limit' like by a couple of mph.

Not only that, but people will be so worried about speeding / looking at their speedo - I'm sure accidents would increase.

Finally I personally think it's unsafe, to not allow someone to manouver there car if they need to - which may mean exceeding the limit very shortly. i.e. overtaking a tractor doing 10 mph, I'd prefere to accelerate quickly past, rather than go 'oh shit I'm at the limit... and risk having a head on'.

Yes of course it won't measure speed If you believe this, your a fool. As brad says, the amount it'd cost is like 40 mil! are they really going to make that back via just penalising a couple of people for no mot / no tax. They will slip implement it, and then introduce the fact it measures your speed as a improved feature 6 months after its working.

Paul J
CCA

16th Nov 05 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Still think we live in a free society where the right to do what you please and go where you please without state interference is among the most basic rights in our (unwritten) constitution? Not for much longer..."

This was said on the webpage but you will still be able to go where you please.
The cameras will be there to check that you have got valid tax, insurance and an mot and im sure this will cut down the amount of road side stops to check.
bradfincham

16th Nov 05 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing that pisses me off

no tax, no insurance half the time people get away with it, it should become a £2000-£3000 fine for each case in my eyes.

Rus - i wasnt hinting at the unemployment i was hinting at the large majority of people on benefit.

My neighbours at uni, in there 40's id say, both dont work havent done for 15 years, why - cos they have 3 kids and they get evrything paid for them, and its not a council house street. he reckons hes depressed, he sits playing ps2 games all day and smoking, drinking she sits watching tv all day, there both fit people as garden a fair bit so why cant they work and stop wasting money!!
Jambo

16th Nov 05 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul can i just say....

ESSAY

YAY!!!
ed

16th Nov 05 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everytime the government decides on a new type of camera people automatically assume they can check speed. Don't ASSume stuff.
mwg

16th Nov 05 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its allready been said I think but if they measured speed then everyone in the country would be banned within a short space of time. I cant see that happening!
diddon

16th Nov 05 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bradfincham
They wont be able to check speed as motoring groups will go crazy,

each camera has to cost say £1000, every 400m,
thats £2000 a mile

theres gotta be a total of say 20,000 miles of motorways in the uk

thats
40 million just on the cameras

BLAIR - concentrate on sorting the illegals and those sitting on there arses rather than trying to stop us speeding!!

don't know where you went to school but you get 1600m to a mile so double what you said now £80million
Jamie

16th Nov 05 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would rather abide by the speed limits than have muppets driving about with invalid insurance/tax etc

In the long run we would benefit as there would no longer be as much fraud
langey

16th Nov 05 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like most of our "private test tracks" will be wiped out then

why dont we just all drive round on fucking 50cc mopeds and that way we cant break the speedlimit
Rob H

16th Nov 05 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would they need a load of cameras anyway?

This would only be introduced to clamp down on people driving without insurance, tax and/or MOT.

If you just put 1 camera on every main road in/out of city centres, then its there that you'll get the most number of "hits", so they wont need loads of cameras.

Only problem I see is that cars worth under 500 or less will just be bought, and false info put onto the V5 document. You dont need your name on the V5 if you dont tax, MOT or insure it, and the cameras can't stop the people who are driving it!

[Edited on 16-11-2005 by Rob H]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Nov 05 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easy, buy a car from an auction with blag details, cash. Drive it around in no-ones name, if you bend it run and buy another one the next day. No outlay, no fines, drive as quick as you like.
Ben
Banned

16th Nov 05 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the world is turning into that film with jim carey , where everymove is watched.

takes the piss
Paul_J

16th Nov 05 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
Why would they need a load of cameras anyway?

This would only be introduced to clamp down on people driving without insurance, tax and/or MOT.

If you just put 1 camera on every main road in/out of city centres, then its there that you'll get the most number of "hits", so they wont need loads of cameras.

Only problem I see is that cars worth under 500 or less will just be bought, and false info put onto the V5 document. You dont need your name on the V5 if you dont tax, MOT or insure it, and the cameras can't stop the people who are driving it!

[Edited on 16-11-2005 by Rob H]

Yeh exactly! if it's only for checking / tax / mot / insurance - why bother having 1 every 400 yards on a motorway... why not just have 1 inbetween each junction - as car's can't magically fly onto and off the motorway.

Another suggestion that they have other things up their sleves. i.e. speed camera's.
Sims

16th Nov 05 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't see it happening to be honest. Its like the thing of everyone having like a black box that tracks your car which could be used to do you for speed.

If they were setup and used for speed it will be a pain in the ass like people have said with people driving at stuidly slow speeds which would just slow up the whole country. I bet it would have an effect on the money the country makes!

The advantages it would have would be clamping down on tax/ insurance dodgers. Also the road safety aspect. It could even be used to trace your car if it was stolen and if they were setup every 400 yrds you would have a good chance of recovering you car. If it was still in one piece with the number plates intact

But it ain't going to happen and what someone said about having them on major road junctions is the best idea. They have those blue ones near where i live on the A4 which runs between Bristol and Bath.
Joe

16th Nov 05 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO the best place for something like that would be at a petrol station, generally people get petrol from petrol stations so should get a fair amount of people.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » National Vehicle Surveilance System :( 22 database queries in 0.0891631 seconds