corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Sunday League Football Thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Sunday League Football Thread
--Dave--
Banned

User status: Offline
30th Sep 05 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This Sunday I am playing my first ever Sunday league match with a newly formed team.

I've been good enough since 16 but never really been bothered about it and never been motivated enough to play before. Don't know what to expect, thinking that I'm going to get barged off the ball and that it's going to be one massive phsyical battle (i'm not big, but can look after myself).

I want to impress the manager (obviously) but don't want it to seem that I'm trying too hard. There are other people who could quite easily take my place as well.

Any tips? Should i just play my own game? I'm well nervous and it's not till Sunday

[Edited on 03-10-2005 by --Dave--]

[Edited on 03-10-2005 by --Dave--]
Twiggy

30th Sep 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have a few pints before hand!
gianluigi

30th Sep 05 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what position will you be playing ??

play the simple ball 99% of the time, if you can do something clever, and know it will work then do it, just once, it will stick in your managers mind.

sunday football is a physical game, and if ur not big you will be barged off, it happens. but like me, i aint big either, just use your pace, and dont linger on the ball.

also if you get a chance to score, fucking take it for fuck sake, dont cock it up!

just keep a level head, and play a simple game
--Dave--
Banned

30th Sep 05 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Either left mid or up front. (Looking like up-front though because our other guy is not fit).

without sounding big headed I'm the fastest in the team so should be able to just run past any fat defenders... i'm kinda counting on this a lot. Plus i have a decent shot (probably why he's playing me up front )
gianluigi

30th Sep 05 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will find may fat unfit defenders in sunday football, so get the ball on the half way line, knock it past them and sprint.

and in some caases, the goal-keeper, can be either of 2,
-they can be really good, who play semi-professional football saturdays and midweek, in which case ur fucked
-most cases they are the player not good enough to be on pitch, so just test him early on from any range

u still play the pink oboe
--Dave--
Banned

30th Sep 05 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

antscorsa

30th Sep 05 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rember the pub afterwards thats a very important art of sunday footie and mayeb the best.
i love playing im only small but like to kick some old fuckers up in the air.
Jamie Walby

30th Sep 05 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I play Sunday league and yes it is physical! I am only 5'5" (maybe a bit taller) and I get on fine as I am quite strong for my hieght!

As mentioned above I have so far managed to out pace all but one defender I have come up against, even then we were level pegging.

I say Dave, play it simple, go out to have a laugh, dont take it too seriously play 2/3 touch footy if you can. We had (HAD) a player that was skillful but would try to take on the whole of the other team and would do too much sometimes and would only pull somin special off maybe once every few games.......hence he is no longer in the team.

Good luck Dave. You'll be fine!

--Dave--
Banned

30th Sep 05 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers all

Will keep you all updated on how we get on

peace out
Melville

30th Sep 05 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
without sounding big headed I'm the fastest in the team so should be able to just run past any fat defenders... i'm kinda counting on this a lot.

If you did that in my league the defenders would most probably take you out as you ran past at about knee height. Seen many a ambulance called cos of some of the dicks that were up against.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Sep 05 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im 5' 8 and i play in defence i think its a piece of piss!
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well...

we lost 3-0

one of our players got sent off 10 minutes into the game and from there on in it went downhill.

I came on 2nd half and had quite a good game out on the left. Had a few shots that came close, one was from about 25yards and just skimmed the crossbar.

Can't wait until next week now
gianluigi

3rd Oct 05 at 08:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what feedback did your manager give you??

i did quite well, i was destined to score

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=239077
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah read your thread mate

Manager said I played well and would be getting more than 45minutes next week
gianluigi

3rd Oct 05 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie Walby

3rd Oct 05 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We play a silly formation something along the lines f 4-3-2(wide)-1

I was alternating between left and right wings though I tend to find myself in the Bergkamp roll Roam around the pitch and split defences with through balls etc etc Which I prefer for some reason.

Some bloke came up to me after the game and commented me on my work rate (which I was pretty chuffed with as I have been putting in a lot of work to get myself to a fitness level I feel I should be at) and that I was 'fucking unlucky not to score at least 6'
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fancy that roll. Being on the left doesn't really appeal to me though I think the manager wants me to work at it.

Would much rather play behind the forwards and feed them.
gianluigi

3rd Oct 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all about being upfront and being selfish and greedy so you can get all the glory!!! muhahaha!

nah jokes, i played on the left before, i can get a few crosses in, but dont have the stength do do the defending side of things
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tell thee i would have flopped my wanger out if i had got that goal right at the end. Even though we would have lots 3-1 it would have been Belhus Park Rangers' first goal (and from 25 yards )
gianluigi

3rd Oct 05 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, how do all u footy guys celebrate your goal,

1st goal i ran off with 1 arm up, finger pointing in the air, then a run and slide on my knees for my team mates to come and congratulate me.

2nd i couldnt do much cos a fatty who sprinted from centre back expected me to pass, do he and 7 others crowded me, i could harldy breath!
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fcuk knows mate

never scored a goal in sunday league before, it won't be long though.

I have one planned for my mate if he plays, imagine the kind of action you'd do if you were to bounce your balls into someone's mouth that's what we're going to do
GREG 1

3rd Oct 05 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dave, where in essex you playing ?
Jamie Walby

3rd Oct 05 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont celebrate. Im more of a jog back to the halfway line with an Henry like face.

I used to celebrate all the time, my fave was the Ian Wright Skid on you knees and lean right back but i busted my knee doing it a few years ago (skidded over a stone :lol so I tend to be a bit more subdued. However, it depends what the goal you scored is like. if its a 2 yard tap in, dont celebrate cos u WILL look gay, if its a long ranger have a little celebration but if you have run on to a through ball and passed it past the keeper into the net then carry your momentum through to the celebration

When I was out wide both left and right I was really pleased with the quality of my crosses on both feet.
gianluigi

3rd Oct 05 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
I dont celebrate. Im more of a jog back to the halfway line with an Henry like face.

I used to celebrate all the time, my fave was the Ian Wright Skid on you knees and lean right back but i busted my knee doing it a few years ago (skidded over a stone :lol so I tend to be a bit more subdued. However, it depends what the goal you scored is like. if its a 2 yard tap in, dont celebrate cos u WILL look gay, if its a long ranger have a little celebration but if you have run on to a through ball and passed it past the keeper into the net then carry your momentum through to the celebration

When I was out wide both left and right I was really pleased with the quality of my crosses on both feet.

see what you mean, but i get a good feeling inside me if a goal goes in and im the player who scored

but i put a lot of passion into my celebration this week, cos there was a lot of shit happening behind the scenes, and it was good to score and lift team morale and unity!
--Dave--
Banned

3rd Oct 05 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GREG 1
Dave, where in essex you playing ?

home ground is Belhus park mate (near Ockendon/Aveley).

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » The Sunday League Football Thread 22 database queries in 0.2126422 seconds