corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can my mate do 130 in a 1.4 16V??

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Can my mate do 130 in a 1.4 16V??
Twiggy

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 05 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine speedo is fine and i hit 125ish on a hill (going down before the comments start!!!:lol

I did 140 in me vtr though!!!
Matt H

2nd Mar 05 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laura_1.416v
my 1.4 16v has hit 125, was about hitting the limiter, wouldnt have got to 130 but as far as we know the speedo isn't out.

You not read the rest of the thread?

All speedo's are probably out

Even in mine it is very doubtfull that it is a true reading. Although I have been past the 130 mark on my clocks
Cybermonkey

2nd Mar 05 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laura_1.416v
my 1.4 16v has hit 125, was about hitting the limiter, wouldnt have got to 130 but as far as we know the speedo isn't out.

At those speeds, it is fair to say that your speedo is inaccurate, you were probably doing about 110.
My 1.6 Sport used to get to about 118-119 and stop dead, just like it says from the factory, either than that or it was knackered and i was only doing 105
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
2nd Mar 05 at 22:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by K11 NNL
digital speedos and not speedo cables like older corsas...so no matter how big or small your wheels the digital speedo will still be accurate.
Incorrect I'm afraid. The electronic speedos have a sender in the gearbox which turns the final drive speed in to pulses which the dash then converts in to your speedo display. The digital to analogue conversion is inaccurate, as well as the gearing of the sender.

Cable drive speedos just mechnically bring a geared drive to the clocks which then magnetically attracts the needle against the force of a retaining spring. This method is also inaccurate due to the tolerances and the physics of it all, and the fact that Rolex don't make speedos.

Neither method is particularly accurate as they both rely on gearing and tolerances both within the mechanical and electronic conversions of the signals, plus legally they CANNOT under-read, but may over-read by up to 10%. This is designed in to the car, not just some scientic side-effect.

They also of course take their information from the box, and therefore wheel speed will not affect your reading on the dash, but will affect actual speed travelled.

There is also the issue that some cars cannot go the speeds which are claimed. The engine can only go a certain speed (rev limiter) and at that rev limit the gearing of the car and wheel size will dictate how fast you travel - assuming you can overcome air resistance. Some of the speeds quoted here are actually physically impossible without huge wheels, non-standard or mis-matched gearing (ie. the wrong box and no acceleration) and a raised rev limit.

Thats assuming you have enough power to get there.

[Edited on 02-03-2005 by Ian]
Lisa

2nd Mar 05 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no chance laurence hit 140 at 6000rpm in corsa last week and that went straight to 140, he had a mate in who has a 600 cc bandit and he said he could not believe how quick it got there , probebly 130 in real terms but still had another500 rpm or more to go
Cybermonkey

2nd Mar 05 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vauxgirl
no chance laurence hit 140 at 6000rpm in corsa last week and that went straight to 140, he had a mate in who has a 600 cc bandit and he said he could not believe how quick it got there , probebly 130 in real terms but still had another500 rpm or more to go

Who the hell is Laurence?
Lisa

2nd Mar 05 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

p16 vlv
Cybermonkey

2nd Mar 05 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he has a 2.0 though?
Lisa

2nd Mar 05 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep and there is no way a 1.4 will do nowhere near 130
Robbie

2nd Mar 05 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i once had 137 out of my old corsa Gsi and posted an ad on here,that was about 4 years ago,i had a car full and was coming back from Manchester heading towards Leeds at the top of Saddleworth Moor(its then down hill for about 3 miles)

To put the record straight i got a mate in a astra GTE to follow me up there and i did it again about 3 weeks later,i was flat out this time with 135 on the clock got him to take over me and his top recorded speed during take over was 128,so i was doing about 120
Lisa

2nd Mar 05 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

120 is not 130 thats what im trying to explain the my corsa should do a genuine 137 which is still quick.
Lee 16v

2nd Mar 05 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had 110mph on my clock, and my mate was next to me in his VTR and his clock said 120 and we were doing the exact same speed... confusing how inaccurate speedo's can be

[Edited on 03-03-2005 by Lee 16v]
Jambo

3rd Mar 05 at 00:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL @ this thread

There are so many deluded people out there.

My 1.4 did 112mph. Speedo indicated. On more than one occasion. on different roads in different conditions and with different wheels.

Thus proving the top speed of a 1.4 16v sport is 112mph.

My 2.0 turbo does around 135mph. As you can see i have driven both. There is no fucking way a sport could acheive those speeds

dave17

3rd Mar 05 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well while racing paul j on my way to max live, i hit an INDICATED 122mph in my 1.4 16v. that was standard wheels too. im not gettin into a whole discussion about it. thats wot my speedo said, is it correct? and do i care? no1 knows their TRUE speed until u get GPS involved.
Jambo

3rd Mar 05 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok.

But gearboxes and aerodynamics say 130mph in a 1398cc car weiging 960 (?) with 90 bhp is less than likely.
By a LONG way.
dave17

3rd Mar 05 at 00:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree, 130mph is jus pish

my car sounded like it was bout to blow up

Cybermonkey

3rd Mar 05 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be able to reach 130-140+, power needed starts to get exponential, hence why you need A LOT more power to get from 120mph to 130mph, simply because of increased wind resistance and rolling resistance.
Paul_J

3rd Mar 05 at 04:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave17
well while racing paul j on my way to max live, i hit an INDICATED 122mph in my 1.4 16v. that was standard wheels too. im not gettin into a whole discussion about it. thats wot my speedo said, is it correct? and do i care? no1 knows their TRUE speed until u get GPS involved.

well I had about 115 mph on the clocks on mine as you were pulling away lol and I'd guess I wasn't doing that speed (was quite glad you did pull off into the services, as I wouldn't of been able to keep up haha)...

Basically I never realised how inacurate speedo's are until I got my GPS road angel 2.
mav

3rd Mar 05 at 04:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 150 indicated in my 2.0..even though clocks dn't go that far

what a load of pish this thread is..............
Dan B

3rd Mar 05 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlamingCorsa
yea it my do if he gets to 110 then drives it off a really big cliff!!!!!!!!! may just get to 130 then

Since terminal velocity (the maximum speed a falling body will achieve without an external force (apart from gravity) acting upon it - the engine doesn't count, because the wheels wouldn't be touching the floor) is 120mph, not even that would get it to 130mph!
Stu

3rd Mar 05 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
did a poo before i went out in my 1.4 8v.....

When I changed the dial faces on my car, I also took one of these pictures! Car at the time was a 1.5TD (later a 2.1 16v on TS's) but I just put the needles on to show it off the clock at 4500rpm!

Suspect picture that is! No blur and no picture of the road!

This is more convincing!

3CorsaMeal

3rd Mar 05 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people add a few mph on here and there,
Darren

3rd Mar 05 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by REDSPORT
Mine speedo is fine and i hit 125ish on a hill (going down before the comments start!!!:lol

I did 140 in me vtr though!!!

140 in a vtr?!

My corsa only gets up to around 135

Somethings wrong somewhere me thinks
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd Mar 05 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road Angel group buy anyone
Jay_SXi

3rd Mar 05 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ainsley_brader
quote:
Originally posted by Jay_SXi
any1 idea what the top speed for Corsa C 1.2 16v...cheers

What year 106mph in 2001

New Facelift...53 (2004)

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Can my mate do 130 in a 1.4 16V?? 22 database queries in 0.0936179 seconds