corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I no its not the battery so it must be something more serious? EDIT - Its the crank shaft sensor)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I no its not the battery so it must be something more serious? EDIT - Its the crank shaft sensor)
mwg

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night i pulled up to a stop with my clutch in and my car stalled! Thought wot the hell is going on? Then tried to start and it wouldnt. turned my lights off and put my hazard lights on and noticed that even with just my hazards on the interior light was flashing like the battery was low on power. bump started it fine and thought that it must be the battery thats fucked. anyway drove it about 30 miles down the motorway to my house with the lights on and when i turned off the motorway and changed down the gears to slow down for a roundabout the engine stalled when i had the clutch in! obviously as soon as I let the clutch back out when it was in gear it bump started itself. And i also noticed that once the revs dropped below about 1500 the engine would stall. ended up pushing it onto my drive. Is it just a knackered battery, is it the alternator or something more serious? help

[Edited on 03-01-2005 by corsa_boy69]

[Edited on 04-01-2005 by corsa_boy69]
James_DT

2nd Jan 05 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like the battery. Try jump starting it from a car with a good battery, see if it starts.
mwg

2nd Jan 05 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just been to get a new battery so gonna try that and hopefully problem solved
Andy_N9~DYB

2nd Jan 05 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a voltmeter..

pop boneet and put over terminals and remember the reading

start the car n the reading should increase...

12 with it of
roundabout 14 wi engine runnin

it u get that the bat is fucked if not could be alternator

mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not the battery cos ive bought a new one and im still having the same problems ive said above! Battery is holding its charge by the look of it. Anyone else no wot it could be? Ive had to leave it parked up somewhere as once it stalled again last night it wouldnt start. Only way to get it going is bump it but even then if it drops below about 1500 revs it stalls. it wil probably start fine this morning but after about half an hour of driving it will start stalling again.

Couldnt be anything like the ECU could it? I dont have a clue wot it could be
infinitycorsa

3rd Jan 05 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

altinator
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye could be but charge goes up to 14.4 volts when the engine is on so the alternator must be doing something? or am i completey wrong?!
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

help
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to see if starts now which it most likely will do. Only starts playing up if its been run for about 45 mins or so......
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

started up first time and runs ok but I want to get this sorted asap so if anyone else has had any similar problems I would like to know how they solved it
greengoddess

3rd Jan 05 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably not this but worth a look.I had a golf gti that would cut out suddenly after running for a while and it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.Also try cleaning the ICV in case thats doing something.Hope it helps
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car runs fine when its running so at a guess wouldnt say its the ICV?

So possible things could be:

1. Alternator
2. Fuel Filter
3. ICV?
4. Something else....
TOMAS

3rd Jan 05 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you say it wont start - is it turning the engine over or completely dead? The pulling up at low revs and stalling does sound like a common ICV fault although they dont just usually 'go' like that, they tend to get sticky before total faliure. Have you had the ECU light on at all during driving?

Sometimes a nackered Coolant temp sensor can cause nightmares when starting when the car is hot/cold but it doesnt sound like that. Are you sure all the earth leads a bolted down, as dodgy earths can cause all sorts or wiered problems like your having.

So when the car is running the battery is at 14.4 V (or thereabouts) when not running its at 12.3ish volts and your sure its not loosing voltage overnight i.e reading about the same 12.3v the morning after? If thats the case then its not the charging system.
James_DT

3rd Jan 05 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the alternator when you said it wasn't the battery, but if the voltage goes up to 14.4v then that's fine.
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
When you say it wont start - is it turning the engine over or completely dead? The pulling up at low revs and stalling does sound like a common ICV fault although they dont just usually 'go' like that, they tend to get sticky before total faliure. Have you had the ECU light on at all during driving?

Sometimes a nackered Coolant temp sensor can cause nightmares when starting when the car is hot/cold but it doesnt sound like that. Are you sure all the earth leads a bolted down, as dodgy earths can cause all sorts or wiered problems like your having.

So when the car is running the battery is at 14.4 V (or thereabouts) when not running its at 12.3ish volts and your sure its not loosing voltage overnight i.e reading about the same 12.3v the morning after? If thats the case then its not the charging system.

Engine is turning over but wont start. Will start if I bump start it but will stall again if I put the clutch in or the revs drop too low.

Havent had any lights come on whilst driving it, only all the normal lights that come on when it stalls but nothing when its actually started and moving. I did wonder about earths but i havent changed anything or touched my car to have been fiddling with anything unless its somehow worked loose?

Battery is about 14.4 V when started and is 12.3 when engine isnt on even after being left overnight
TOMAS

3rd Jan 05 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bizzare, i'd say youve got me stumped... Is it cranking over at normal speed with the starter motor? So it only seems to like it when the when the wheels are turning? Im thinking to myself - what happends diffo when you bump start a car to when you start it on the motor? Hummm not sure? Deffo check the earth straps as these can cause dodgy things like this...

It deffo sounds like an ICV fault though - stalling at low revs/clutch in. Only other thing I can think is crank sensor but im just clutching at straws...
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it is cracnking over at normal speed. its strange how it starts when u bump start it though. Phoned my Dad up and his mate works for Vaux but isnt a mechanic and he also said the most likely thing is ICV. Looks like its going into Vauxhall 2moro, was trying to avoid that if possible as it will cost mega £££. Going to speak to one of the mechanics there first as he said if I explain it all to him first chances are he will know if its the ICV or whether he is gonna have to do diagnostics check on it........
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just found someone with a diagnostic kit thingy wotever you call them so taking it round now cos he said he can probably plug it in and find out whats wrong. worth a try
TOMAS

3rd Jan 05 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Problem is IF it is one of your sensors it SHOULD bring the ECU light up on the dash and if it hasnt your mate will prolly have a hard time diagnosing a non-visable fault...
Andy_N9~DYB

3rd Jan 05 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a funny prob wen i first got ma corsa c...

for sum reason or another it wouldnt start..then u try n try and all of a sudden it did..

turned out to be a fault with the ecu but because it self teaches it rectified itself
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate couldnt find out what the problem was. called the AA out and he spent a good couple of hours looking and testing things and came to the conclusion that its either the crank shaft sensor or the CAT is knackered. Getting a tow to Vauxhall 2moro 2 find out which one it is, hoping that its the sensor as I would imagine CATs arent cheap......
greengoddess

3rd Jan 05 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how many miles has the car on it as if its near 50k then it might be the cat as mine went at 49k, got one for £150.
mwg

3rd Jan 05 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its done 56k! Hoping it isnt the CAT
greengoddess

3rd Jan 05 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is the cat try here http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/cat_display.php?txtmodel=Corsa&Submit=Next&txtmake=VAUXHALL
thats where i got mine from, those ones are ceramic cats with 2 yr guarantee.
They sell steel monolith cats for a bit more and come with 3 yr.

[Edited on 03-01-2005 by greengoddess]
russb

3rd Jan 05 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im having nearly EXACT same problems, i did the paperclip test and the crankshaft sensor was one of the few problems, but never thought much of it when i first saw it, now uve mentioned it, makes me think that its the problem, where is the crankshaft sensor and are they cheap?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll