corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Plasma TV's

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Plasma TV's
Ryan L

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 04 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at getting a 42" Pixel + by Phillips, can anyone reccommend sites that are cheap for things like Plasma's. I've tried Kelkoo but its not very good when your not sure of the exact model number you are looking for
--Dave--
Banned

2nd Nov 04 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.hotkit.co.uk are qiute good
Ryan L

2nd Nov 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

site is nice, but prices are not the best
Cavey

2nd Nov 04 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.pricerunner.co.uk

LCD are better though, get one with PixelPlus if ur getting a phillips
Robbo

2nd Nov 04 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are getting the 23" Phillips LCD TV, about £1k... its well good
Robbo

2nd Nov 04 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robbo

2nd Nov 04 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also gonna try to get a small one for the spare bedroom for me PS2
JayC

2nd Nov 04 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that it's a plasma but I have just got a 32 inch Philips with pixel plus 2 and i highly recommend it.
drunkenfool

2nd Nov 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.richersounds.co.uk they quite often have deals with HUGE discounts on there, thats where my dad got his 42" plasma from
Half Pint

2nd Nov 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've just bought a new tv.......

Phillips 30" LCD for me bedroom.....

get's delivered tomorrow and can't wait..

was £1600 tho
Ryan L

2nd Nov 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i'm gonna go for this one

http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/cgi-bin/webelectricals.storefront/EN/Product/1221
Dom

2nd Nov 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LCD screens are good (dont suffer from burn outs etc) but there bloody expensive and you dont get much bigger than 36", because it costs an arm to make the screen

Plasma's are cheaper and you can get up 60" screen...but there heavy and (yet to be proven because they havnt been out that long) suppose to have really bad burn outs problems.

But either way, if you getting one for a decent picture, look at Pioneers - the picture is cystal and i mean crystal...but your looking at about 6k-8k for a 40-60" screen
If you after a cheapy, look at NEC, pretty good picture and you can pick up a 42" for about 1500

Philips are alright, but like i say, its alright nothing great. Sony is cack for plasmas, they should concetrate on making chavy ICE grea instead

best bet, pick a few out (from your price range) and do some reviews. Also get a copy of What HiFi and What Home Cinema, both offer great reviews and they all know there stuff so it might be worth writing in witha budget and see what they offer.
Also, pop down to your local Home Cinema/HiFi shop (seven oaks etc) and get them to set up a few in there listening booths. It will be better than dixons etc because they will have a clean aerial feed (not split between a few hundred tvs) and offer a good range of DVDs players etc to play a few films on

[Edited on 02-11-2004 by VisibleMan]
purple_corsa_gls

2nd Nov 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know how close there is one to Essex, but i would really recommend this shop...

www.richersounds.com

They dont fill you with shite to get a sale, i was there on saturday getting a handheld dvd player and one of them said 'you get what you pay for, for £150 its not going to be amazing!' on the poster. This was the Newcastle store, ive also been in the middlesborough and Hull stores.

They also had a phillips 42" plasma screen for £1700 (getting one after the holiday/when my dad can persuade my mam)

The staff are all really helpful in the stores ive been in.

Worth a look
drunkenfool

2nd Nov 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^^ Thats the place i recommended too, sales staff are excellent!
purple_corsa_gls

2nd Nov 04 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah, i didnt read the thread, just rate the place highly so id recomend it for any electrical stuff.
Dom

2nd Nov 04 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remember that richersounds only deal in old stock, so you wont get any new gear from there - hence the prices. But alot of them know there stuff, but they do try and push cambridge audio gear. But ive got a cambridge audio dvd player and for 300 quid (got it about 2yrs ago) its the muts and offered the best picture for buck
Ben
Banned

2nd Nov 04 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont richersounds sell normal tvs?
Dr Pepper

2nd Nov 04 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sell these things all day and would strongly recommend not buying phillips pixel plus.......we have a 40% return rate on all pixel plus range.

If you are buying a plasma get one of the new panasonic range--- best plasma picture i have seen and they look stunning in your living room.

If you are getting lcd get one of the jvc D.I.S.T range--- they are shit hot and really well priced.

Lcd should get you up to 30 years of use, more than a standard flat tube. Plasma is expected to last half as long and will probably need its gas refilled at some stage.
obviously none of this has yet been proven.

Ive got one of the jvc's and its stunning
infinitycorsa

2nd Nov 04 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would not have a plasma as these need toppping up and rechargin every 4-5 yrs and this can be a costly event

lcd is the future
Andrew

3rd Nov 04 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by drunkenfool
^^^ Thats the place i recommended too, sales staff are excellent!

Bought a few things from a local richersounds shop. The sales staff are very helpfull and know what they are on about. I think they just live for top of the range tvs, stereos, dvds etc.
slugger_54132

3rd Nov 04 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of things, VisibleMan is spot on. Pioneeer are the best plasma panels u can buy. No doubt. And panasonic like mentioned are probably next, i do love the Viera ones with integrated stands, look awesome!

Philips i dont think do a 42" pixel plus version, but if they do dont get it! not worth the money u would have to pay, when a 42" pioneer can be picked up for 3.5k. Probably cheaper on line!

Plasmas cant be re-gased, re-charged. The screens are fixed screens like a laptop screen. It means if anything goes wrong with the actual screen, ie pixel failure thats it, its gone!

The idea of re-gasing them is a myth! correct me if iim wrong but i to work with these daily! Have spoken to all the manufacturers and its not possible. Plasma should have a 10 year lifespan, on average us? but whats average use? so i would only eexpect to get 5-7 years from it.

andy_b

3rd Nov 04 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sell screens as well. Pioneer 43" XDE is the best home cinema screen on the market, with the HDMA interface, with the panasonice 42" pe30 being best value as that panasonic are promoting with free stand and dvd recorder.

LCD wise the best are the Sharp, with 32" or 37" being top of the range, they have IDTV and High Def inputs aswell, either ready for sky upgrade or for good pc graphics card.

As for the lifespan, u should get an average of 50,000 viewing hours out of a decent plasma, and 100,000 viewing hours out of a decent lcd.

You cannot "re-gas" a plasma as they are consrtucted as a sealed unit with the gas between sheets of glass. Same with lcd's once a pixel"dropped" it cannot be repaired.

Any more in fo just u2u me
Robbo

3rd Nov 04 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reeto, one of u people who knows more about them, please recommebnd an LCD TV around £1k... i suppose approx. 23" and 16:9 pref
Dr Pepper

3rd Nov 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Reeto, one of u people who knows more about them, please recommebnd an LCD TV around £1k... i suppose approx. 23" and 16:9 pref

You will struggle to get a decent lcd of that size for that price--- you will have to look at paying about 1399 for a 23" jvc which are very good imo
Dr Pepper

3rd Nov 04 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by slugger_54132

Plasmas cant be re-gased, re-charged. The screens are fixed screens like a laptop screen. It means if anything goes wrong with the actual screen, ie pixel failure thats it, its gone!

The idea of re-gasing them is a myth! correct me if iim wrong but i to work with these daily! Have spoken to all the manufacturers and its not possible. Plasma should have a 10 year lifespan, on average us? but whats average use? so i would only eexpect to get 5-7 years from it.

As far as im aware it is possible to re-gas some plasmas...the problem is that it is so expensive that you might as well buy another one......this however may change with the second generation plasmas out soon that apparantly can be refilled-----the more of these that are sold- the cheaper it will become to refill gasses.

But at the moment i agree it is basically a myth that you can refill them

[Edited on 03-11-2004 by Dr Pepper]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll