corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Got Discs and pads for my SRi for £45. Thats good isn't it?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Got Discs and pads for my SRi for £45. Thats good isn't it?
Sims

User status: Offline
18th Sep 04 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right lads. thanks for your help, especially modded corsa.

i've got one side done. we didn't worry about the bolt for the disc as both sides are sheered and i guess its jsut to keep it in place while the wheels arn't on. managed to find what i thought was copper grease. was bronzey sort of thick stuff. Got it all back on just fine.

Then went to do the other side and couldn't undo the caliper bolts. we had trouble the other side but this side just wouldn't move. we were using a allen key and a bar, but it wouldn't budge. going to get a propper allen key fitment tomorrow so hopefully it will come off then. just worried that the bolt has rounded

Is a pain that i couldn't get it finshed, because i need to drive to my girlfriend's friends house at 4am so they can take me to the gatwick airport to meet my girlfriend who has been in florida.

But i guess i am going to have to walk. hope it ain't cold tomorrow morning

[Edited on 18-09-2004 by Sims]
modded_corsa

18th Sep 04 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no probs at all mate

seems as your going for a allen key...ya mite aswell get an allen key socket.....soo much easier

and then bank the socket onto the bolt as far as it will go.......and then plafce your ratchet onto your socket.....

Sims

18th Sep 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i'm going to get a allen snapon thing or might even get a new kit. so from what you were saying was to put the allen part as far into the bolt, then put the ratchet as far over as possible. so that i can get most grip on the bolt to stop it from rounding off?

Shame my girlfriends parents are in florida too and won't be back for another week, because her dad has a massive snap-on set. But my girlfriend s back tomrrow and maybe i could look through it
Rileysport

18th Sep 04 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

use a trolley jack to crack the seal on the bolt, put ure car on axel stands then position the ratchet so u can jack the trolley jack to undo the bolt... thats how i did mine, works a treat

[Edited on 18-09-2004 by SRi-Co]
modded_corsa

18th Sep 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sims
yeah i'm going to get a allen snapon thing or might even get a new kit. so from what you were saying was to put the allen part as far into the bolt, then put the ratchet as far over as possible. so that i can get most grip on the bolt to stop it from rounding off?

Shame my girlfriends parents are in florida too and won't be back for another week, because her dad has a massive snap-on set. But my girlfriend s back tomrrow and maybe i could look through it

place the socket...or allen key into the bolt head....and then tap it in so it goes into the bolt head as far as possible....therfore elliminating a large rounding off chance
miles

18th Sep 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thread lock is a sealer to put on the bolts so that they cant vibrate loose.

Brake cleaner is nothing special, anything will do it, parafin, petrol, wd40 etc...

I'm missing the disk securing screw on one side, doesn't matter, as you say, it just holds the disk in place when the wheel isn't fitted, and keeps it aligned to the wheel stud holes.

Make sure the hub face is free from rust etc so that you get a flat fit.

Mintex are meant to be good, so should be fine.

Getting the socket wont be a big help unless you have a breaker bar. You can always try hitting the allen key with a hammer. Using the right tools, as always, a socket with breaker bar, makes the job so much eaiser.

BromleyBoy

18th Sep 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

halfords do a decent 10mm allen key with a nice handle for brakes 7 too
Sims

18th Sep 04 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i think my dad is going to buy the socket with the 10mm allen thingy. I bought a 7mm which worked fine on the pads. We found the pads didn't go face onto the hub. Then we gave it a little banging with a rubber hammer to get it on more. perhaps we shoulda checked for rust but it did seem to sit in nicely after and span fairly freely even before dabbing on the brakes.

So the reason we are having trouble is the treadlock. So this is why it is suggested to get new ones because they can vibrate off due to the thread lock being gone?

fingers crossed it will be ok. i'm jsut trying to get pics up of how bad the pads were on the inside

[Edited on 18-09-2004 by Sims]
Adam-D

18th Sep 04 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup the socket is best and a breaker bar
bang in the allen socket and crack it free

heat it all up with a blowtorch f it doesnt free off
Sims

18th Sep 04 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol was thinking of a blow tourch. but knowing me i'd probably set fire to my car
Sims

19th Sep 04 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right got breaker bar and allen snap on from my grilfriends dads snapon unit. Got second lot of pads and discs on fine.

Started up and brake light warning was still on. pump the brakes a bit and rolled the car forward and backwards using the brakes to stop. It went off then so thought i'd drive up the road to test them and drove back down and parked back on my drive. the brake warning light come on again when i reversed up onto my drive. tried rocking backward and forward again to get it to go off.

I'm not sure if the light is coming on because the brake fluid resivour is to full because it is right up near the lid, or this always happens with new pads/discs and takes a while for it to settle?

the brake pedal has hardly any travel now. i don't have to press on it much for the brakes to be on hard. is that how it is supposed to be? i guess it is because there is more pad so less for the pad to travel.

I'm just a bit worried and any info from anyone would be much appriciated

[Edited on 19-09-2004 by Sims]
miles

19th Sep 04 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the brake pad level warning light? Did you change the sensors and wire them in? To by pass them you can join the wires together, which is what most people do.

To check for the brake fluid take the cap (and level sensor) out and see if another light comes on, or if its off if it comes on.
Sims

19th Sep 04 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right the brake light is off now and thats fine now. But i drove to my girlfriends and halfway i started to get a whining noise and it sounded like the padswere rubbing on the disc.

Got to my girlfriends and double tighened the bolts and then jacked the wheel up. Tried spining it and there was some resistance.

what i found was it only done it when i was going straight or turning right. If i was turning left then the noise stopped. I shitting my self now because i have got to drive 22 miles to work tomorrow in Bristol
Adam-D

19th Sep 04 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check the disk is seated properly,
it may have a lil run-out
get a dial gauge on it
did you clean the pad runners? and put a bit of copper grease on the runners
Sims

19th Sep 04 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll check it is seated tomorrow morning. What do you mean by run out?

whats a dial gauge?

not sure what pad runners are. e put a little copper grease on it but not as much as the side that isn't making a noise.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll