corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » computer people please help....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author computer people please help....
CorsaLad

User status: Offline
4th Sep 04 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Recently bought a new DELL desktop. Have been experiencing the following problem, after installing McAfee Security Centre....

After new software is downloaded/installed I sometimes get the following error message on a blue screen:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Check hardware or software installed properly.

Disable new hardware/software. Disable BIOS memory.

Techincal info:

***STOP: 0 * 00000001, 0* 00000020, 0 * 00000002, 0 * 00000000, 0 * EFA9D48C base at EFA9D000, DateStamp 3d6de2d9

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete!

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers,

James
Jamescorsa97

4th Sep 04 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it go go a blue screen?
Sims

4th Sep 04 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm. sounds like you might need to swap around the PCI cards in the machine because there are conflicting IRQs.

or you could go into device manager and click "view by connection". Then select Interupt request (irq) and look to see which ones that are shared, have problems. think you can change the problem resource irq by right clicking and then properties.

thats just one or 2 ideas. but if its new just take it back to them, or give them a call
PaulW

4th Sep 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get updated drivers for the graphics card, windows update may have fooked off the manufacturer reference drivers for its own.

this is the case on quite a few configurations when windows update downloads microsoft's own Nvidia drivers for GeForce cards & it replaces the Nvidia Reference drivers, so you get the same STOP error.

Quick trip to Nvidia to get there release of drivers & installing them usually cures this problem.
CorsaLad

4th Sep 04 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the quick replies:

Jamescorsa97 - yes it does go to a blue screen

Sims and PaulW - how serious a problem is this? Also, your replies have lost me a little, I am not as technically minded as you two!

Cheers

James
CorsaLad

5th Sep 04 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt
DAYZEE

5th Sep 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remove mcafee, see if the problem is still exists.
Chris E

5th Sep 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it maybe caused by xp service pack 2 mate - check your service pack version (right click My computer and then properties and check your general tab, it should say what service pack your running.

If service pack 2 - check the MS website for a workaround or Mcafee for an update.
Sims

5th Sep 04 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ain't a serious problem mate. just a case of discovering what the problem device is or removing mcafee.

And like paul says don't install the bloody microsoft suggested graphics drivers,cos it does cock stuff up

[Edited on 05-09-2004 by Sims]
Chris E

5th Sep 04 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Disable your Windows firewall as this will more than likely be enabled by default and will cause memory conflicts between your mcafee firewall and the windows one. Similar thing happens with Symantec/Norton products too.

Disabling the built-in Windows XP Firewall

From the taskbar, click Start.
Click Settings.
Click Control Panel.
Click Network and Internet Connections.
Click Network Connections.
Click to highlight your Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection.
In the Network Tasks section, click Change settings of this connection.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet.
Click OK.

Hope this helps - sorry for the essay!
CorsaLad

5th Sep 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi thanks, for all the replies:

chris E and sims - i have service pack 1 and the built-in Windows XP firewall is already disabled.

Still not sure what to do, I think I will try and ring dell. Any more ideas?

Cheers,

James

ps - all essays will be warmly accepted
mjw_2k2

5th Sep 04 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate my dad has exactly the same problem on his dell pc and ive found out that its the something to do with the dell copy of XP, not quite sure what is causing the conflict but its something thats on dells xp disc, i found this out because i installed xp onto another system using the disc and i got the same problem, which rules out any hardware configuration settings, it has to be theyre software interfering with the xp settings somehow and they should offer a fix for this but i havent got round 2 phoning them up, hope this helps u2u me if u solve it
Chris E

5th Sep 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll try not to write an essay this time

As PaulW said earlier, you may need to update your drivers. Best thing to do is too remove mcafee from your computer and see if it happens again. If not, then create a restore point and re-install/update all your drivers.

After this is all done and all seems ok then create another restore point and re-install mcafee again. You should be ok then.

Dell may have already provided drivers on a cd-rom? The only thing that you wont be able to do is open the machine up to change the PCI devices around as mentioned earlier - you'll void the warranty.

Seems I didnt "try" hard enough - its another bloody essay!
mjw_2k2

5th Sep 04 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate its got nothing to do with mcafee or norton antivirus software as i did not install them on my other machine the problem occurred straight after a fresh xp installation, so how can it be the antivirus or pci devices if i installed it onto a differant pc and same problem occured? the hard drive was formatted so nothing from a previous installation was affecting it, theres no way that it can be anything else but dells version of xp, just to prove you all wrong, i formatted the c drive and i installed my own copy of xp, and i never had the problem, so its deffinetly the dell xp version!
CorsaLad

6th Sep 04 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all your help!

Chris E - no worry about the essays, if it solves the problem I don't mind reading a bloody book about it!

mjw_2k2 - at least it doesn't look as if my machine is the only one with problems. Hopefully, if I phone dell after work they should be able to solve it! Has your Dad tried phoning them?
mjw_2k2

6th Sep 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no mate he cant b arsed he dont use his as much as i use mine, have a good look on dell.co.uk im sure there will be a fix for this on there sumwhere
Chris E

6th Sep 04 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sorted this yet CorsaLad?
CorsaLad

7th Sep 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not sorted yet - phone Dell last night and they said they suggested wiping the hard drive, re-installing windows and McAfee.

I am phoning back tonight for a step by step guide for fixing it.

Thanks for all the replies!

James

New Poll