corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What can I do in a 1.5TD?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What can I do in a 1.5TD?
corsa_tuning

User status: Offline
12th Jul 04 at 02:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MattyB

12th Jul 04 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it really that hard to whack a Intercooler onto this engine?

Even if it was a lil' R5 GTT intercooler that you simply placed in the engine bay somewhere with an air feed, it would bring the charge temps down by quite an amount, and allow you to run more boost, and therefore gain more power. Just for the cost of a £20 intercooler off ebay, and £10 of rubber pipe from a motorfactors!

Matt
Bonzai

12th Jul 04 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i first set up my TD it was chucking out 1+ bar at about 3200rpm iirc.

i didnt have the right fitting to stick a pressure gauge in the car at the time so it all came down to thesafety valve on the inlet manifold popping out, at approx 1bar.

bit of chemical metal fixed that
Ditch

12th Jul 04 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ditch

12th Jul 04 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIESEL CORSAS WERE DESIGNED WITH FUEL EFFICIENCY IN MIND, NOT TUNING!!
MattyB

12th Jul 04 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
DIESEL CORSAS WERE DESIGNED WITH FUEL EFFICIENCY IN MIND, NOT TUNING!!

ALL Vauxhall Corsas were designed with fuel efficiency in mind. In fact, NO CARS at all are 'designed' with tuning in mind, whether it be a 1.0 12v or a 1.6 ecotec GSi. In fact, 99% of manufacturers will penalise the consumer if they DO tune or modify their car.

I dont know if you'd realised, but you are on a forum of modified corsas, none of which came out the factory designed to be tuned. However, the fact that Turbo Diesel corsas are cheap and easy to tune, bringing them on a par with at least 1.4 8v's, yet retaining economy is a good basis for the owners to tune them.

Matt
Ditch

12th Jul 04 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are correct in saying no car was designed with tuning in mind. I never said it was.

But tuning a deisel will always confuse me! Why not just buy a 1.4 8v if you want a nippy little car?!
MattyB

12th Jul 04 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also i gained economy since mine was tuned.
MattyB

12th Jul 04 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You are correct in saying no car was designed with tuning in mind. I never said it was.

But tuning a deisel will always confuse me! Why not just buy a 1.4 8v if you want a nippy little car?!

Your saying diesels were designed for fuel efficiency, not for tuning. Whereas nearly every car ever built is the same, no doubt including the one you drive. But what your trying to say is, Diesel owners shouldnt bother at all, which is just silly really. Why should anyone bother?

Diesels are more economical that SRis, tuned or not. They are also more reliable and cheaper to insure. That fact that a diesel will match the speed of an SRi for £20 is absolute bargain really.
Ditch

12th Jul 04 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
Also i gained economy since mine was tuned.

^
Now that impresses me!!
Ditch

12th Jul 04 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MattyB
quote:

Your saying diesels were designed for fuel efficiency, not for tuning. Whereas nearly every car ever built is the same, no doubt including the one you drive. But what your trying to say is, Diesel owners shouldnt bother at all, which is just silly really. Why should anyone bother?

Diesels are more economical that SRis, tuned or not. They are also more reliable and cheaper to insure. That fact that a diesel will match the speed of an SRi for £20 is absolute bargain really.

The thing thats always forgotten here is the fact your playing with forced induction.

The turbo on a diesel was put there to reduce emmisions, as well as giving better mpg, and and "easier" drive.

9 times out of 10, a turbo on a petrol car will have been put there for performance reasons!

But seeing as your mpg has gone up since you tuned your derv I will shut up now!

(you get better acceleration, AND better mpg at the same time yes?)
MattyB

12th Jul 04 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My tuned resulted in turbo coming in lower down, and the altered fuelling now means a better pull from 1.5k revs. It means i can change up alot lower down the range, thus save fuel.

I've not noticed a huge difference in economy under acceleration etc.

The difference with a petrol, is that its "overall economy" will suffer once u start changing the air filter, cams, zaust, fuelling etc.

Matt
Bonzai

12th Jul 04 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

mine on the rolling road
corsa_tuning

12th Jul 04 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice smoke
i'm going to put an intercooler from audi a4 which is great running at 1bar of boost
Kris TD

12th Jul 04 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an enclosed filter like CDA will be rubbish, it needs to be an open cone on a turbo.
fuckin hell bonzai turn that fuel down. i actually noticed mine quicker when it wasnt over fuelling like that.
as for r5gtt intercooler, thats wat im going for
corsa_tuning

12th Jul 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the R5 intercooler is shiet, i was with one in my hands and it sucks
my intercooler is far better than that and is better for mounting in the corsa
CDA is good although it's very expensive but it only works without going through the inlet manifold which warms up the air
corsa_tuning

12th Jul 04 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people tend to think that the more smoke it makes the faster it will be but that is wrong, overfuelling will ruins your pistons and specially the environment
the best fuel position is when the car makes smoke but just a little when you flor it down and not driving normally
Kris TD

12th Jul 04 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_tuning
people tend to think that the more smoke it makes the faster it will be but that is wrong, overfuelling will ruins your pistons and specially the environment
the best fuel position is when the car makes smoke but just a little when you flor it down and not driving normally

i agree with this, however i dont agree with wat you say about the cda on a corsa td.
it is well known that enclosed filters arent good on turbo cars as they simply dont let enough air in.
corsa_tuning

12th Jul 04 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well but just think, it's better to enter less air, bue cold air than to air lots of air but hot air
i believe a cda does a good job channeling cold air into the turbo, a cone filter tends to catch lots of air bur it's hot air and so is bad for the turbo
Kris TD

12th Jul 04 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends where you place the filter
Bonzai

12th Jul 04 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did turn the fuel down within half hour of that run as it happens. i dont think it was normally that bad, just the way it was being driven on the RR.

i dont even drive the car anymore, some other poor cnut can sdeal with the consequences
Kris TD

12th Jul 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bazgooch

12th Jul 04 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really cant be arsed to read any of this thread so prob been said b4 but m-tech do a 2.2 tdi conversion kit for it

bigger i/c, more boost = happy days
kerzo

12th Jul 04 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm i will have to see how mine fairs on saturday at a rr day

only upped the fuelling at the min which should *hopefully* take me to 100bhp, should really try to get around to getting the boost sorted but been soooooo busy the past while
corsa_tuning

13th Jul 04 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my advice is: don't put more than 1bar with the original turbo, if you want more pressure get a 1.7 turbo and boost up to 1.3 bar that should give you 100 n' smtg HP. don´t forget an oil cooler and of course the intercooler

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What can I do in a 1.5TD? 22 database queries in 0.1181109 seconds