corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2.0 Conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2.0 Conversion
DCorsa

User status: Offline
9th May 04 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim. i hear what your sayin about spoiling the handle by putting 17 on there. But i like the look so much. I think what i'll do a t first it try 15's then 17's and feel the difference.

So buying a corsa with power stering is ok then i take it, cause i heard it wasn't.

What reg does the corsa with the ok power steering start from. because i'm getting the impression that an older reg corsa with power steering is not ok.
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 12:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's two types of power steering... pump/fluid and electronic. I know the electronic is fine (as mine works with the 2L)...

...but I can't actually remember anyone who has the older type of power steering and a 2L, although Beardy has a 2.5 V6 and older-style power steering so I'm pretty sure it's possible.

New style power steering is denoted by a light on the dash 'EPS' when you start it, and the distinct lack of the fluid tank in the engine bay. Pretty sure it's on every Corsa after 97, but don't quote me...

mike16v

9th May 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tim u sure beardy has old type power steering? Its a T plate
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only said that as the fluid bottle is in his bay...

mike16v

9th May 04 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll ask him about it later
DCorsa

9th May 04 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in total how much do you think it will cost. me break in down for me. suspension, brakes and engine. If i've missed anything else let me know, i mean things i have to do to make it safe.
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine: £450
Fitting kit: £500
Brakes: £200 - £1200 (depends what you want)
Suspension: £250 - £750 (depends what you want)
New clutch for 2L: £85
Labour: approx £600 (including brakes, etc)

All depends what you actually want and how much of it you're willing to do yourself.

The brakes/suspension prices above are so broad because you can't just say 'how much are brakes'. Standard 2L 256x24mm brakes will be £200. AP Racing 310mm conversion with 6-pot calipers, etc would be £1200...
DCorsa

9th May 04 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the engine which will be put into my corsa by your mate, where will it be from and what will the mileage be, will it the engine be reconditioned at all. Cause ideally i want an engine with as low mileage as possible. Astra gte.

Is the gte engine in another vauxhall like the cavalier because my insurance company said they would insure me by the car i took it out off
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cavalier, Calibras, Astra Mk2, Astra Mk3... all have models which contain redtop C20XE's...

Should be able to get an engine around 80-90k quite easily. If you want it rebuilt then you're looking at least £800 more depending on how much you want done. Much easier to rebuild the engine before you do the conversion rather than deciding to do it later...
DCorsa

9th May 04 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it should be ok if i find my own astra gte to take the engine out off.

If i supply my own engine how much should it cost then. Should be cheaper right??
mike16v

9th May 04 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

prices as above minus engine price, look at the list tim made for you
SXi_Tim

9th May 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has this conversion ever been done on a corsa c?
DCorsa

9th May 04 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tim, if i bought a gte. can i use other bits from it like the disc's and calipase, to save a bit off money.
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SXi_Tim: Yes. Beardy is in fact (IIRC) looking for a loan of a Corsa C to start making the conversion affordable. I think the offer was free labour if you supply engine/parts... Maybe drop him a u2u, although bear in mind he would probably need the car for quite some time (by that I mean it wouldn't be the usual 1-week turnaround )
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DCorsa
tim, if i bought a gte. can i use other bits from it like the disc's and calipase, to save a bit off money.

Yup... Discs and calipers are a direct fit...

You'll need the CV joints off the GTE too... Better is to do it this way as you can then strip the GTE and sell the parts you don't need -- although obviously depends how much you get the GTE for
SXi_Tim

9th May 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
SXi_Tim: Yes. Beardy is in fact (IIRC) looking for a loan of a Corsa C to start making the conversion affordable. I think the offer was free labour if you supply engine/parts... Maybe drop him a u2u, although bear in mind he would probably need the car for quite some time (by that I mean it wouldn't be the usual 1-week turnaround )

souns good, i would really like to do this but ill have to look into the financial side of it a bit more ive heard its a lot harder than a corsa b to do though?
ed

9th May 04 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's free labour, all you pay for is the engine, and possibly new engine parts...

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=141267
SXi_Tim

9th May 04 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty tempting offer
DCorsa

9th May 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tim, its just that 80 - 90, 000 is a lot off mileage, i was hoping for a least 50- 60,00
Tim
Site Administrator

9th May 04 at 17:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding a 12 year old engine with 50k is pretty difficult. If you're concerned then just get it rebuilt
DCorsa

10th May 04 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it exspensive to run a 2.0 tim if you drive cool. Or is it a thirsty engine. What can you get out off it
DCorsa

10th May 04 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim When the coversion is complete is it reliable aswell. I mean have you experianced any problems due to the conversion.
DCorsa

10th May 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tim suspension wise. Is there anything specific i would have to get like coilovers, to handle the extra weight of the engine
Ojc

10th May 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
No more conversions until after PVS on 6th June though.

Yes Daimo
Half Pint

10th May 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In answer to your list of questions above:

Generally it's not that much more costly to run thatn a 1.4 corsa in terms of petrol, depends how you drive.

The 20Xe engines are pretty sound and have the usual problems like any other engine all depends on it's treatment and servicing,

As for the suspension a good set of springs and shocks should be enough to handle the extra weight.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2.0 Conversion 22 database queries in 0.2068188 seconds