corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » suspension and handling question

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author suspension and handling question
sassyminx

User status: Offline
3rd May 04 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car is lowered on 14" standard gsi rims, not changed dampers yet but im gunna be in next few weeks......but til i eventually get coilovers i want to sort the suspension out......ideally i want it as hard as possible so its like a go cart so to speak, want it to go round corners and stick

wot u reckon to polyurethane bushes ??? i am thinkin of sellin morettes so i will get about £200 for suspension........any1 help???
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just stick with what you have already untill you have saved enough to get some decent FK coilovers u2u carnoissior (sp) craig for a decent price
Nismo

3rd May 04 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put tins of Spam in there in place of springs
SetH

3rd May 04 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only one set up for me for go kart handling with hard damping. Courtenays premium kit uses revalved Bilstein dampers and eibach springs, very harsh ride but defo go kart
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
only one set up for me for go kart handling with hard damping. Courtenays premium kit uses revalved Bilstein dampers and eibach springs, very harsh ride but defo go kart

ive got eibach springs, not got the dampers on yet, not sure wot make they are tho my mate gimme em, he got em off a corsa sri that he bought....will they fit on mine ok?
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mark havent you learnt yet courtneys arent the best way forward?? Have you taken you RR graph back to them yet??
SetH

3rd May 04 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by born_upsideout
Mark havent you learnt yet courtneys arent the best way forward?? Have you taken you RR graph back to them yet??

Thats probably all they are good for, their suspension kits are certainly well balanced for our roads, better then most of the kits that come of the continent anyways. As for taking them that RR i know they wont do feck all about it so i aint wasting the effort going down there.
TOMAS

3rd May 04 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 - is it a daily road car?

If so then hard as possible is NOT adviseable, as rock hard suspension nackers wheel bearings, ball joints, track rods, bushes and the chassis.

2 - how low would you like it?

To be honest I wouldnt go lower than 60mm on coilovers for daily drive/fast road as handling will be much worse, myself, KrisTD & Broster are just a few that have raised our cars up slightly over the past 6months and found that handling AND ride is MUCH improved, even raising by 10 -15mm!

My final point would be that if your existing bushes are ok then DONT bother with polly bushes, they will probably only make a real difference when everything else is SPOT on, i.e icing on the cake.

p.s if you want a rock hard ride then you'll need to invest in some quality sports bra's LOL.
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
As for taking them that RR i know they wont do feck all about it so i aint wasting the effort going down there.

Not really the point out of principle i would take it back and explain you're not impressed!!
Kris TD

3rd May 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hard suspention wont necessarly make it handle better, the back end will bounce round on corners and make it worse if its too hard. plus hard suspention in the wet is crap. no front end grip wat so ever.

best of getting some adjustable koni yellows and einbach springs.
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
1 - is it a daily road car?

If so then hard as possible is NOT adviseable, as rock hard suspension nackers wheel bearings, ball joints, track rods, bushes and the chassis.

2 - how low would you like it?

To be honest I wouldnt go lower than 60mm on coilovers for daily drive/fast road as handling will be much worse, myself, KrisTD & Broster are just a few that have raised our cars up slightly over the past 6months and found that handling AND ride is MUCH improved, even raising by 10 -15mm!

My final point would be that if your existing bushes are ok then DONT bother with polly bushes, they will probably only make a real difference when everything else is SPOT on, i.e icing on the cake.

p.s if you want a rock hard ride then you'll need to invest in some quality sports bra's LOL.

yea its a daily car, its lowered 60mm now, but i just want it a bit stiffer, cos dont know how long it will be before i get the coilovers, i gotta sort outside out first and wanna do a few other little things
dont want it any lower than it is tbh, cos im not changin the standard rims, its stayin on them, im wantin it completely standard gsi......defo reckon morettes are comin off car........ and yes spose i will need sports bra's
Kris TD

3rd May 04 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and yes i raised mine from 60mm at the back to 40 and it handles a million times better now.
still 60 at the front though
Andy

3rd May 04 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kris TD
hard suspention wont necessarly make it handle better, the back end will bounce round on corners and make it worse if its too hard. plus hard suspention in the wet is crap. no front end grip wat so ever.

best of getting some adjustable koni yellows and einbach springs.

This man speaks the truth - harder isn't always better, particularly on anything other than mirror smooth roads. Lowered springs on standard dampers will be a nightmare handling wise. I agree with Kris that Eibach springs and Koni adjustables will work well. Don't lower more than 40mm
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok so ill leave the harder one, but i got springs at min, still on standard shocks, but to be replaced with dampers......anything else ideally? wot about front and rear strut braces??? they any good or not?
LukeGSi

3rd May 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a front brace but took it off when nos was fitted and havent noticed any difference tbh. Ive just brought a rear one although brought it mainly for show
Andy

3rd May 04 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Front brace will tighten things up a little. Rear is a waste of time. You might want to think about uprating your front anti-roll bar too
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Front brace will tighten things up a little. Rear is a waste of time. You might want to think about uprating your front anti-roll bar too

how much r they?? isnt a gsi one suffice?
Andy

3rd May 04 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eibach do an uprated anti-roll bar. Had one on my sport and it noticeably improved turn in and cornering over standard GSI/Sport one. Not sure how much they cost now
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
3rd May 04 at 12:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't want it too hard as on normal roads this can cause your wheels to spend more time in the air and less on the road.

Poly bushes and a thicker front anti-roll will all help but dampers are the priority - put the money towards proper dampers which if you want to be -60 is coilovers.
Kris TD

3rd May 04 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have had numerous different combinations of suspention on my corsa, forget how many lol.
best i have come up with is koni adjustable yellows all round. ive now got apex 60mm front springs and 40 mm rear ones.
a 12mm front anti role bar and a huge rear one.
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You don't want it too hard as on normal roads this can cause your wheels to spend more time in the air and less on the road.

Poly bushes and a thicker front anti-roll will all help but dampers are the priority - put the money towards proper dampers which if you want to be -60 is coilovers.

ill ask wot dampers ive got then and post and let me know wot u think
Corsa E-Tec

3rd May 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm lowered on 50mm eibach springs and koni adjustables. i fitted the rear shocks on hard and have not been bothered to re-adjust them and the fronts are hard too. tis like a go cart

[Edited on 03-05-2004 by Corsa E-Tec]
sassyminx

3rd May 04 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa E-Tec
i'm lowered on 50mm eibach springs and koni adjustables. i fitted the rear shocks on hard and have not been bothered to re-adjust them and the fronts are hard too. tis like a go cart

[Edited on 03-05-2004 by Corsa E-Tec]

gunna look for sum dampers now see wot i reckon to em
Joff

3rd May 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy Koni dampers individually, so go for those with the springs you've got now.

Eibach discontinued the uprated anti-roll bars a while ago, but Whiteline do a beefier bar (something like 22-24mm).

With the state of the roads, you want suspension that will have some travel in it - being able to put the power down mid-turn, safe braking and more importantly good handling are all reliant on your wheels touching the ground.
If the suspension's stiff, you'll be skipping over bumps in the road.
Red_SXi

3rd May 04 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How have you lowered it 60mm on Eibach springs Sassy? They don't make them

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » suspension and handling question 22 database queries in 0.1678920 seconds