corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Nova GTE 1.6 8v engine into Corsa 1.2i - is it easy?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nova GTE 1.6 8v engine into Corsa 1.2i - is it easy?
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
5th Jan 04 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Allo all, I'm quite new here and not too clue'd up on Corsa's in a big way so got a pretty straightforward query for ya

I'm thinking of buying a cheap 1.2i Corsa soon, instead of a Nova, for my first car. I know a fair bit (in theory ) about Nova's so I assume Corsa's are much the same.

What I wanted to know was, is it an easy swap putting the 1.6 8v Nova GTE/GSi engine into a Corsa 1.2i? What would I need? Has anyone on here done the said conversion? If so, how do you find the 100BHP in a Corsa compared to a Nova?

I assume I'd need: Engine, box, loom, GSi fuel pump if the 1.2i Corsa is anything like the 1.2i Nova having a low pressure pump... I'd assume the standard engine mounts, driveshafts etc would be fine?

Cheers
miles

5th Jan 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The corsa engines mounts would fit, as would the driveshafts.

It will be slower than the nova gte due to a bit of extra weight.

The fuel pump would have to be changed for a corsa mpi pump as the corsa pumps are in tank, and nova external.
Stokie Dave

5th Jan 04 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds quite straight forward then... Should cost under 120 to do the swap which is the cheapest way to 100BHP and a nippy clean corsa for under 1k 16v would be nice but I'm a budget bloke at heart lol, if I blow an 8v up I wont really care Cheers for the reply!
miles

5th Jan 04 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, if you bought a rotten nova gte you could also take the brakes and suspension from it. Then sell the rest of it to make your money back.
MattyB

5th Jan 04 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100bhp in a corsa, ur lookin 9-9.3sec to 60, bout 115-117mph top speed and generally a pretty nippy car.

Go for it.

Matt
Stokie Dave

5th Jan 04 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would probably plan on some coilovers 2nd hand or something if money wasn't too tight, Astra 16v brakes, would do nicely I spose! Might get lucky and find a modded engine around the 120BHP mark with a nice cam, headwork etc and that would do me I want a newer corsa over time so can swap all me suspension over
paddy.corsa

5th Jan 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive swapped over the GSI engine into a corsa like you are on about by meself, if you want any help mate then u2u me and i'll help as best i can mate.
JAY_B

5th Jan 04 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am just doing the same conversion now. The engine went in easily, the only problem is that the nova exhaust system from the manifold back does not fit cause it has a kink before the centre box which wont fit into the exhaust tunnel, the throttle cable needs to be changed for a longer one and there is nowhere to bolt the nova airbox because of the plastic inner ach. Just doing the wiring at the mo, tell you more when its going
Stokie Dave

5th Jan 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wicked m8 keep us up to date. Doesn't sound too painful though really, cheapest way to get a bit of power I spose Your problems sound like nowt that cant be sorted for next to nothing!
kitty_kitty

5th Jan 04 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stokie dave....NO!!!

thats all ive gotta say on the matter
broster
Premium Member

6th Jan 04 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go for it, whens this all gunna happen?
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Dave

Exhaust aint a problem when you have a mate (dicko) with a mig welder, we just had to buy a special piece of flexible exhaust and welded the lot together

How long before you put a 20xe lump in??
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any 1 seen that tigra around stoke, sure it was turbo'd, i saw it on sunday night up john street was with a nice blue m3
Stokie Dave

6th Jan 04 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I not seen that

Allo Pot Yer Dicko is the man who can haha, should all be an easy job for him, I'll give him some beer tokens. You gonna let me have a go of your 2.0?

Allo Mark. Well I wanna have a car sorted by summer really. 2.0XE when I can handle some powah. But me dream engine would be 1.6 16v turboooo! lol. Basically though, as soon as I've got the base Corsa, I'll be on the lookout for a 1.6 engine and it can go in as soon as I've got all the bits. Insurance aint a worry cuz I'll be running on 'old man' status

[Edited on 06-01-2004 by Stokie Dave]
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When its running properly i'll at least take yea for a spin in it... having slight problem at the moment tho (see hes post).

When you want a 20xe i'll help yea fit it it will be 10x easier next time knowing all the bits to prepare beforehand etc and things to loook out for and how to do them. Had loads of probs with the conversion but overcame them all and just this one last one to solve now. At least its not stopping me from driving it tho
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats your corsa like DP????? i live in stoke, ill try n remember no to race ya
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice wheels stubbsy Mines a standard silver GSI
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did u do the conversion yourself then ??? may be after someone to do myn soon
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea... had help from a couple of mates tho... one who had done small block conversions before but this was new territiry!! After doing the conversion once... would definately do things differently next time knowing forseeable problems / issues which slowed us down.

But if you have any questions then feel free to give us a shout!

And strangely enough we were only talking the other day about doing conversions for people
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what for a pint of beer sort of money
were you around stoke sunday nite?? went on morisons for a bit but then went up john street.
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh mate... i dont really hang around fezzy... not really much into the 'cruise' scene. No offense but there always seems to be lots of kids/dickheads there. Im sure theres also decent people too who are car enthusiasts but you know what i mean... My mate goes up castle a fair bit tho. I just enjoy driving my car and pushing it more and more to the limit...

Plan to take it plenty of track days this year
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know what u mean about the dicks, only go down cuz a few mates go down. you will have to let me have a go of your corsa when its running properly
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe i'll make an appearance down there one nite.. and pursuade yea that a 20xe is the way forward what do yea mates drive?
stubbsy

6th Jan 04 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

manta, hyundai coupe, vr6. im starting to get left behind
DP.

6th Jan 04 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, hey up stubbsy its dicko. think you were stood chatting with us down morrisons on sunday when i was speaking to O Baz and bennet. i fooked off cuz kept gettin molested by kay :s

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll