corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » FAO People with V6 Brakes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO People with V6 Brakes
Andy

User status: Offline
19th Dec 03 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeArDy
or 500 sheets for a rally spec master cylinder \

same problem with 4Pots and there really bad

Not if you get Wilwood Midilite 4-pots. Really nice pedal feel (10 x better than V6 set up) and will stop the car on a sixpence. The callipers come in diff piston sizes - Rally design will supply you with the closest match to your current set up for improved pedal feel
ianofbhills

19th Dec 03 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Check the calipers are on the right way. Only way to tell is that teh bleed nipple should be at the bottom and not the top.

erm bleed nipples are meant to be at the top dude!

This is because any trapped air bubbles that are in the fluid inside your brake calliper are going to rise to the highest point so if your bleed nipple was at the bottem you would never be able to get rid of the trapped air and you would allways have spongy brakes. The only time you see bleed nipples at the bottem is on the likes of 4 pot callipers where each piston has its own bleed screw so there are 4 in total 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.

edited to say i agree with andy my four pots have a much better feel to them then my old v6 set up and i never had a problem with my brakes being spongy when i fitted the new discs and pads for the 4 pot callipers.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by ianofbhills]
Daimo B

19th Dec 03 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ianofbhills
quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
Check the calipers are on the right way. Only way to tell is that teh bleed nipple should be at the bottom and not the top.

erm bleed nipples are meant to be at the top dude!

This is because any trapped air bubbles that are in the fluid inside your brake calliper are going to rise to the highest point so if your bleed nipple was at the bottem you would never be able to get rid of the trapped air and you would allways have spongy brakes. The only time you see bleed nipples at the bottem is on the likes of 4 pot callipers where each piston has its own bleed screw so there are 4 in total 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom.

edited to say i agree with andy my four pots have a much better feel to them then my old v6 set up and i never had a problem with my brakes being spongy when i fitted the new discs and pads for the 4 pot callipers.

[Edited on 19-12-2003 by ianofbhills]

Ha ha ha, scuse the idiot over here, yeah, your right Doh, nipple meant to be at the top, not the bottom. I had em facing the bottom before and now they are at the top.
ianofbhills

19th Dec 03 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TOMAS

19th Dec 03 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy + ianofbhills, are you running the Midilites then? Im torn between the wilwood midilites and hispec billet 4's... Want to run the 285mm discs as im running tight 16's. I noticed RALDES have the old wilwood dynalite 2's on offer to clear the stock - £299+vat, 4pot sealed calipers with discs! Do you know if they MUCH different to the midilites? Do the discs in the kits come drilled/grooved or plain?

You should get MUCH better pedal feel with 4pots as you can choose the piston sizes, go for the smaller one's and that should give a firm short pedal
ianofbhills

19th Dec 03 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use hi spec billet 4 callipers on 285mm discs with mintex pads.

They are excellent and work really well with good feel and have all the necessary sealing required for road use. The 1st thing i noticed about them was they are incredibly light weight compared to 2.0 litre or v6 callipers. The discs supplied came drilled but are 1 piece. If i was running 16's like you i'd be tempted to go up in size and get 305mm then you get the 2 piece discs with alloy bells but it would cost a bit more.

Wilwoods are going to be cheaper i think especially if you get the ones from rally design i think miles on here uses wilwoods see what him or andy have to say about their set ups as i have no expieriance with that type of brake kit.

ian
Fad

19th Dec 03 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much will a set of willwood four pots set me back with discs and pads? Looking for new brakes in the new year
Daimo B

20th Dec 03 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop down Hi-Spec, there just down the road

Think the 285mm kits are about £450 odd quid, plus brakets etc (Bought another £40-£60) SO say jsut over £500 all in.

300mm brakes go up to about £650.
Andy

20th Dec 03 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TOMAS
Andy + ianofbhills, are you running the Midilites then? Im torn between the wilwood midilites and hispec billet 4's... Want to run the 285mm discs as im running tight 16's. I noticed RALDES have the old wilwood dynalite 2's on offer to clear the stock - £299+vat, 4pot sealed calipers with discs! Do you know if they MUCH different to the midilites? Do the discs in the kits come drilled/grooved or plain?

You should get MUCH better pedal feel with 4pots as you can choose the piston sizes, go for the smaller one's and that should give a firm short pedal

Thomas - I'm running the new Wilwood Midilites 4-pots and am very impressed. As Ian says, they weight fcuk all compared to V6 callipers, which reduces unsprung weight. They're also fully sealed, unlike most of the Wilwood range. Pedal feel is excellent and with 285 discs, tremendous stopping power. Rally Design did me a package for just over £400 (that's callipers, discs and braided hoses). Have heard mixed reports about Hi Spec, but never used them myself so can't comment
TOMAS

20th Dec 03 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy - what discs with the midilites - drilled or grooved? They go for £400 + vat for the kit in the Rally Design 2004 catalogue, I think that excludes braded lines too so how you get them cheaper I dont consider HiSpec to be anything special. I had an order with them for a kit ages ago, which I cancelled a while ago as they were taking too long ("another week, another week" type effort). Last week I recieved the kit and they took the cash from my bank account!! After much messing around they are back with HiSpec and I have all my cash back.
Andy

20th Dec 03 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid extra for x-drilled discs.You'll get plain 285mm dics, callipers for £400 + vat. As for getting them cheaper - speak to Andy Taylor at Rally Design and haggle (but be nice). Tell him that you were recommended by me (Andy Hamilton) and that you've been tempted by the Hi Spec stuff (even though you haven't) and ask him to see if he'll throw in a pair of braided hoses or give you an upgrade on the discs.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll