corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vauxhall Astra Mk3 GSi Project

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Vauxhall Astra Mk3 GSi Project
Mertin

User status: Offline
24th Jan 13 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought this off one of my mates last year before he went to New Zealand for the 3rd year in a row to work for 6 months + so this cars hardly had any use the past few years and also been a bit neglected

It sat on the farm for a few months before I got any motivation and made a start on it which was replacing a coolant temp sensor and some fresh coolant in it before winter. Gave it a good gut out aswell as it was pretty filthy inside and stuck it in for an MOT.

Failed on the following :
Both front top mounts
Few bulbs
Handbrake needs adjusted
Emissions
2 x tyres

Not a big deal really, got top mounts with the car, got bulbs sorted out and handbrake cable was new so just needed adjusted. Wheels I didnt like anyway and one was buckeled so a set of standard wheels were sourced and fitted as a temporary measure until I decide what wheels I really want

Anyway I decided to fit some V6 brakes I had sourced as it was still on standard 256mm. After fitting them couldnt get a pedal at all, clamped the pass side flexi and pedal was fine so started off replacing this. Improved the pedal slightly but not right yet, think they all need a good bleed though. I had tried using the pressure bleeder but then realised it was leaking at a few seals so probably drawing in as much air as it was getting out. If all else fails Iv got another master cylinder off a calibra to fit before I stick it in for an MOT again.

Also gave it an engine oil flush and oil change as hadnt been done in a fair while, despite two previous owners being mechanics

Heres a few pics of it, most of them from when it was on the road last year, looking a bit worse for wear just now but I plan to get all that sorted out in the summer when I get stuck into it

Wheels cleared the calipers but the wheel weights didnt last long so Il need to get them re-balanced

Noticed that the near side inner cv boot is burst and dont know how long its been burst and full of crap for so Iv got a vectra im breaking for spares and Il rob a driveshaft off it as from what Iv researched it should fit ok with the F28. MOT tester didnt have that on the fail list so he mustve turned a blind eye to it will be sorted soon enough hopefully, just wish id noticed when I had the top mounts changed

Current plans are to run it for a few months and then In summer Id like to start stripping the suspension and give everything a lick of paint, stick on some 40mm springs and maybe uprated shocks and polybush the front end hopefully. Then do the same with the rear beam, drop it off and get it all cleaned up, painted and back on. Will buy myself a DA machine polisher and use it as a learning vehicle aswell probablty, cant make the paint work any worse than it is If money was no object Id love to get an LET in there, or more sensibly a decent c20xe with some cams and headwork but with running the R32 and a wedding to save for I better resist Will be a long term project though but hopefully keep it up to date with little bits and pieces as I go along with it

[Edited on 24-01-2013 by Mertin]
Mr Clean

24th Jan 13 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love these so much,I hope you get it back to how it looks on the first pic!
Mertin

24th Jan 13 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clean
Love these so much,I hope you get it back to how it looks on the first pic!

That was only in June 2012 that pic, the last pic I put up it looks really faded in the light. Isnt that bad in real life really Worst bit on the bodywork is the drivers side rear arch is bubbling, apart from that theres no major rust issues on the bodywork
Mertin

27th Jan 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changed master cylinder yesterday and sealed leaking exhaust. Got brakes bled today and mostly new fluid in the system. Pedals better as in it doesnt go straight to the board has a nae bad feel to it so hopefully enough to pass a test. Gave it a short blast in 3rd to try and clear the emissions a bit and should get it booked in for a retest this week
Marc

27th Jan 13 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since you changed the wheels, love it.
Mertin

27th Jan 13 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Since you changed the wheels, love it.

Thanks. they wont be staying but It'll be a while before I make up my mind what I want. Speedlines, comp mo's or something else like pro race 1.2's. maybe go for a 5 stud setup and some cav turbo fanblades, that would be ideal suspension needs raised aswell, dont like how low it is. Isnt much out there 2nd hand suspension wise for these and only decent stuff brand new really is bilsteins which is £££ for a project / runaround
Mark.W

27th Jan 13 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a softspot for the mk3 astra's so will be keeping an eye on this
Jambo

27th Jan 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still one of the best looking Vx's out there
Mertin

30th Jan 13 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news :

Now to get a decat for it (have a home made one but getting a proper one made) also needs the back box welded as its starting to split where the pipe enters the box
Going to get the interior valeted in the next few days due to filthy seats and carpet and il tackle the exterior myself when weather permits.
GB123
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 15:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done less miles in 2010 than it had in 2009?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GB123
Done less miles in 2010 than it had in 2009?

Blatently went over 100k so they changed it
Mertin

30th Jan 13 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye I noticed that, clocks mustve been changed. They need changed again as the revs and speedo are off as its a V6 and F28 box. Only did 4 miles between 2011
And 2013 aswell
BenC1985

30th Jan 13 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im a huge fan of mk3 astras. Between me and my bro we had about 6.lol mine started as a sport but ended up with c20xe and full steinmetz kit and full custom leather. Wish i still had it tbh.lol My opinion would be to tidy it up inside and out and 5 stud it with cav turbos and a decent ride height and it will look spot on.

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by BenC1985]
ShEp

30th Jan 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You buy that off scotty? or did someone else have it?

That was built by a lad up here.
Mertin

30th Jan 13 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
You buy that off scotty? or did someone else have it?

That was built by a lad up here.

Scotty sold it to a mate just over a year ago I think then I bought it off him. Remember scotty swapping it for his golf gti
ShEp

30th Jan 13 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right,

I just knew Scotty had it as he was asking me about it after he bought it,

No spoken to him in a couple of years now though.

Clean enough car, Was in the are a good few years.
Mertin

6th Feb 13 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been running spot on so far for being off the road for a while.
Heater resistor decided to pack in so got thst replaced today, bought a new panel filter for doing it and once the scuttle was removed I realised there wasnt even a panel filter there. Some amount of dirt trapped below the scuttle and against the bulkhead so cleaned all that out too

Was looking at the bonnet and seen the mess that the insulation was in and thought id get rid of it as was a bit tatty and should let the heat escape a bit more with the v) being crammed in there. Some before and after pics

andy_mk3

6th Feb 13 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you gonna change the exhaust? That huge can really spoils it! Other than that it looks pretty tidy
Mertin

6th Feb 13 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some reason I like it never had a big backbox before, corsa was a 6x4 and saxo twin small ovals and then milltek on the ibiza
Might change it at some point if one comes up 2nd hand, in no rush though. Probably go for a twin square or 6x4 oval. Need to get a milltek non res on the R32 first!
Mr-SEH

7th Feb 13 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love a mk3 looking good!
Robin
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 08:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
Still one of the best looking Vx's out there

Totally agree, still looks great.
Mertin

7th Feb 13 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dropped it off for a machine polish today, was planning tackling it myself but got 20% off with a local valeter so thought why not. Should have it back sometime tomorrow.
The mrs followed me there this morning and said it was stinking, Im hoping its just fuel and the cat clearing up and not headgasket. Will check oil etc when I get it back, probably just worrying. Did seem to us alot of fuel going down, maybe running rich
Mertin

10th Feb 13 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just picked the car up today. 5 hours was spent claying it, was covered in crap from sitting in the shed and grinding and buffing had been going on and covered it in crap.

Pics are pretty shit as it started snowing as I pulled up, not a great day here at all. Il upload them anyway. Also took a wee vid as I was coming home

Short term plans are :

Fit replacement fog lights ( one is full of water and rusty)
Fit aero wipers
Fit Bilstein rear shocks that I have and new rubbers
Source mechanical F28 clocks and try and use the rev counter from an electric V6 set that I have if possible? Nothing works properly at the minute
Fit LED's to the heater panel and clocks when I get them sorted

Click the pic below to get the video from a short blast on the way home

[Edited on 10-02-2013 by Mertin]
Mertin

10th Feb 13 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BenC1985

10th Feb 13 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats come up lovely!! Bet your happy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Vauxhall Astra Mk3 GSi Project 23 database queries in 0.1070812 seconds