corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » rwd gsi *for sale*

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author rwd gsi *for sale*
craig-dodd

User status: Offline
11th Jan 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought i might aswell share my project with everyone

im crap at explaining things so bare with me

this is how it was when my brother had it

then he stripped it down for a rebuild and it got left in the garage for almost 2 years,
i then decided in october to buy it off him and get it back on the road

this is how it was when i bought it

also icluded in sale was some extras

set of coilovers
100m rear springs
brand new goodridge hose kit
eccentric top mounts
2.0l brakes with new pads and discs
motorsport coversion hubs
equal length shafts
front and rear strut braces
spare sri interior
xe engine mounts
and load more i cant remember atm

1st thing i did was strip all the suspension, clean and paint it aswell as putting all new poly bushes in

also bought some bits from vehicle wiring products to replace brakelines and tidy up the wiring thoughout the car

then tidyed up the engine bay and primed it

there was a big rust patch on the top corner of the windscreen so i ground it back,

cleaned it up, applied some chemical that converts rust into a solid, fillered, sanded and primed

bought a xe off my brother that he had lying around which had a rebuild and then just got sat in the corner
which also came with a lightened flywheel

will be picking up a f20 and some carbs this weekend so hopefully will get it all in and running asap

[Edited on 03-05-2012 by craig-dodd]

[Edited on 23-06-2012 by craig-dodd]
harvey_1066

11th Jan 12 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carbs what you running? have you got a vacuum advance distributor or a H&H ignition system?
craig-dodd

11th Jan 12 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havent got them yet but looking into dellorto or webers if i can get some at a decent price,
i was waiting to get them before i buy the rest of the kit, not sure what i need yet so any help would be great
philip2

12th Jan 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id look into bike carbs too either r1s...chokes may be a touch too big or look at zx6r carbs, smaller chokes but mates golfs been on them for years as a daily and never had a problem and much more suited to a mildly tuned xe imo
craig-dodd

12th Jan 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know where some of them carbs are quite cheap, cheers
harvey_1066

12th Jan 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm going to be running a C20XE on twin 45 dellorto carburettors and a H&H ignition setup, its an expencive way to go, as i'l be taking my head off as its a late spec XE its got larger ports so going to send it away to be ported and polished and porous mod done, thats about £250-300 then bought the carbs they were £300, then H&H ignition is £250, then rolling road is £150 ish then chokes jets etc for carbs are about £50-100, and i'm going mild cams so they were another £250, then vernier pulleys to go with the cams thats £130 ish, and then to fuel it you'l need a facet pump thats £60, then filter / regulator thats £50 then if you keep your standard in tank pump you'l need a swirl pot to feed your facet pump thats £50, then new hoses and fittings £50+ , and to accomodate all this a new exhaust system 2.25 - 2.50 inch manifold and system thats £400 ish depending on new / second hand. carbs are not cheap, but power wise should be up around 180, 190+ if you are lucky, and because of running carbs and no limiter you'l need ARP rod bolts on top, the next step from there is more wilder cams and with that you'l need new rods and pistons. its not cheap, but bloody good fun at the end of it.

[Edited on 12-01-2012 by harvey_1066]
craig-dodd

12th Jan 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for the info Harvey

my plan was to run a standard engine with carbs and omex rev limiter on to get it on the road and after couple of months start by getting head work and cams and go from there i guess, but all the other things like fuel pump, swirl pot etc I can get hold of easy enough anyway
harvey_1066

12th Jan 12 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im surprised as to how much money its taking to be honest, even to just get on a standard engine its not cheap, let'alone a modified one. got a u2u for you anyway mate.
craig-dodd

15th Feb 12 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after a couple of months buying and collecting bits ready to finish the car off, i have decided to strip it and scrap the shell as i have bought a new project, another gsi. most parts i have kept to use on the newer gsi

heres the old one ready for the scrapper

and heres the new one just need to get it home

[Edited on 15-02-2012 by craig-dodd]
harvey_1066

15th Feb 12 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

photos are a little small mate, whats the difference they both look like corsa's to me
craig-dodd

15th Feb 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its philip2's rwd corsa, he texted me last week asking if i wanted to buy it and i couldnt turn it down
craig-dodd

2nd Apr 12 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not done much lately spending too much time in pub

bought this radiator but looks too big to mount where i want it so il have to have a rethink

also bought a pair of vx220 stack clocks off ebay, the seller said 1 had a slight electrical problem which could be easily fixed but as he couldnt remember which 1 it was he sold both

decided to put the engine so i could fit my shafts and measure up the spacers for my rose joints on my trailing arms, also i realised that the rear mounting beam needs to be remade as phil had chopped it in half for some reason.

i also noticed that i couldn't select any gears apart from reverse in my gearbox so i will be stripping it down for a closer look

[Edited on 02-04-2012 by craig-dodd]
craig-dodd

19th Apr 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i stripped down my gearbox and everything seemed to be fine so il have to put it back together and hopefully it will work.

tired my 2 litre callipers on my manta hubs and they fit, i can use the 256mm discs but they will need machining to bolt onto the back of the manta hubs

cleaned one side down and painted them red to see if it would suit the car. i decided it wouldnt so i will rub them all back down and paint black

while i was doing that i decided to take my calipers apart, clean up and paint them. ordered new piston and seal kit too

my new longer studs for the manta hubs and conversion studs for the rear came so i fitted them

fitted.

i have ordered alot of parts this week so wil have more of a bigger update and progress when it all arrives
craig-dodd

21st Apr 12 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got home from work and there was this package waiting for me

inside was my simpson exhaust manifold and it fitted perfectly in the car

also got my steering wheel adapter of vauxhead, my caliper seal kit and ARP rod bolt set off ebay

i went to fit the rod bolts and when i took no.4 big end off i noticed that it was scored as well as the crank slightly, so im going to get the crank reground

i did plan to just put rod bolts in and leave the rest of the engine standard to get it on the road and build another engine with steel rods, high comp pistons, cams etc but as im stripping this one i might aswell do it all to this one

[Edited on 21-04-2012 by craig-dodd]
taylorboosh

21st Apr 12 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good thread... Suprised there's not more interest
HarleyMK

21st Apr 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This looks like a cracking project mate
keep it up would love to see it when its finished
craig-dodd

21st Apr 12 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks alot
BeArDy

21st Apr 12 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice mate, always wondered what happened to that shell.
When you get around to the gear linkage give me a shout I have one already done you can borrow to copy.
Todi-Corsa

23rd Apr 12 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice project mate
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

23rd Apr 12 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work mate

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
craig-dodd

23rd Apr 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks everyone

i started to strip my engine down to check if there was any more damage

everything looked ok on the crank but will take it for a regrind anyway, the pistons where 86 mm which is good i guess and there is no marking on the bores at all

Jed D

23rd Apr 12 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great project!! respect to you

can i just ask, how will you mount the gearlinkage? seem like a lot of fabrication works going into this. mint

[Edited on 23-04-2012 by Jed D]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

24th Apr 12 at 08:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmm

this seems one to watch, RWD FTW
craig-dodd

24th Apr 12 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D

can i just ask, how will you mount the gearlinkage? seem like a lot of fabrication works going into this. mint

[Edited on 23-04-2012 by Jed D]

my selector housing is modified so the rod comes out the front of the housing,

eckers90

26th Apr 12 at 05:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice work buddy, looking good.
james

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by eckers90]

[Edited on 26-04-2012 by eckers90]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » rwd gsi *for sale* 24 database queries in 0.1670809 seconds