corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B Track Car + First Project

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B Track Car + First Project
Corsa B Boy

User status: Offline
30th May 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recently came to own a C12NZ Corsa B as it was having running problems and the previous owner needed a car for his disabled son so he brought a 5 door French hatch. This was left to sit on his drive as he had no use or need for it, after speaking to my uncle about it he convinced to go round and ask how much the previous owner wanted for it. I explained that I was 15 and was doing a Motor Vehicle Engineering Course at college and in the end I was given the car for free on the understanding that I would get it back on the road
At the time my dad had brought me a VW Polo but after a week I had sold that to fund the Corsa

After getting the car round to my house I looked around the car and noticed that it was going to need more work than I was expected but this isnt a problem . I have only just passed my Level 1 course at college so its all a learning curve for me

After looking into the engine I decided it would be easier to source a new engine and fit because the one it had was on 124k miles and abit worse for wear. I was originally looking at just throwing in another C12NZ but I couldnt seem to find one for a reasonable price. So I began thinking about putting in a bigger engine but then I knew this would lead to insurance problems etc when I was old enough to drive, so in the end after much thought I decided if I was going to change the engine then I may aswell fit a 2.0 and turn the Corsa into a bit of a track car

After looking into redtops and the associated parts with fitting one, I was a little dishearted as they were way out of my budget range. So I decided to buy a C20SEH instead but then after having some parts nicked I was disheartened again and it was then I decided to look for a 16valver. It was then my uncle suggested looking for an X20XEV as it was basically the newer version of the redtop and he recommended it as he had one in his old Calibra and had nothing but praise for it. So Im currently selling the 8valver to fund an ecotec

Here's a pic of the car when I got it

Then I got bored and decided to strip the interior I only stopped because the torque drive for the interior bolts that I was using got rounded off and rendered useless

Being 15 I got bored again rather quickly and started to strip the car down as I decided I was now going to do a full rebuild as the car needed it
The car ended up looking like this by the time, me, my couson and my uncle had finished

But this unconvered some unwanted surprises in the form of rust on the back arches, rather than mess about with these, as one has rusted through anyway Im just going to buy two repair arches and get them both sorted. The front crossmember also needs welding but as it will need a strengthening kit welding in anyway for the engine conversion I decided I would also buy a new one of these

This then kept me happy fo a while but then after having my parts nicked and deciding to get a 16valver I decided I may aswell start to strip out my engine

This is as far as I have got with the car yet as I am currently sitting my GCSE's at school but as soon as they are done I will crack on again and should have the car stripped down completely for a respray within a couple of weeks. So fingers crossed the car will have been resprayed by August just in time for me to get my results

My plans for the car are as follows:

Exterior
•Buy some softstars and get them refurbished in gun metal grey or graphite, fitted with some sticky tyres and then fitted to the car.
•Buy some coilovers and then get them corner weighted and lowered.
•Get the rub strips removed from the side of the car, punto wiper and boot look removed and the holes/dip plastic welded over
•Have the arches colour coded
•I then plan on fitting a front and rear Post '97 bumpers. As the car is for track only and I wont need a license plate I plan on having the recess plastic welded over
•Then fit some bonnet and boot pins.
•Fit some deepos and some mhw rear lights.

Interior
•Get some bucket seats
•Possibly get some carbon fibre door cards and boot cover.
•Fit some gauges into the stereo gap and then get the dashboard flocked.
•Possibly get a weld in 6 point roll cage.
•Front upper and lower strut braces and upper rear
•Fit some four point harnesses.

Engine & Mechanicals
•Get the engine bay smoothed then buy and fit X20XEV engine with all wires etc tucked out of the way and then mate it to an F16CR gearbox
•Get a rear disc conversion and upgrade front brakes to 288mm (V6 )
•3 inch twin DTM backbox
•Fully polybushed all round

That is about it for the spec list at the moment I think and I think that you guys have got the general idea of what direction the car is going to take.
Corsa B Boy

30th May 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All comments and Opinions welcome
am4nf

30th May 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

15 and you are typing properly

Its a site first

Your plans sound good mate, shell needs a shit load of work though
connollygt30

30th May 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont go for the X20XEV mate...

Redtop or SEH
fillmecca

30th May 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by connollygt30

Redtop or SEH

x2 find a cheap redtop and rebuild the enigne your self

[Edited on 30-05-2010 by fillmecca]
DannyB
Premium Member

30th May 10 at 14:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice little project you have there, plenty of potential.
AlexW

30th May 10 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Edited, realised i was a fool and not reading.

Good base, but really worth respraying it etc if its a track car, your more likly to crash it and fuck up that lovly paint job, its not like your be able to use it on the road due to insurance!

[Edited on 30-05-2010 by AW06]
Corsa B Boy

30th May 10 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fillmecca
quote:

Redtop or SEH

x2 find a cheap redtop and rebuild the enigne your self

[Edited on 30-05-2010 by fillmecca]

Yes, I have noticed that there is an increase of chav's in my age group that cannot seem to type properly, its pathetic and lazy to be honest

With the SEH I had loads of parts for the build nicked so I have completely lost confidence there and I always wanted a 16v, the SEH had always been my second choice.

I would idealy have a redtop but all the ones I have seen have been going for £300+ whereas I can get an ecotec for about £150-200. If anyone knows where to get a redtop for this sort of money then I will happily choose XE power
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th May 10 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just save up for a bit longer mate it will be worth it in the end
Corsa B Boy

30th May 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have heard on corsa-b.co.uk of someone mentioning before about getting a redtop engine for £150 so is there something I am missing ??
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th May 10 at 23:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the generally go for £250ish

fillmecca

30th May 10 at 23:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa B Boy
I have heard on corsa-b.co.uk of someone mentioning before about getting a redtop engine for £150 so is there something I am missing ??

you can pick a XE up for that only beause is proba wnt have alot with it,unkown miles on it ect but not mutch of worry if your going to rebiuld it any ways ad always pick the XE over the 8v
Corsa B Boy

30th May 10 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

you can pick a XE up for that only beause is proba wnt have alot with it,unkown miles on it ect but not mutch of worry if your going to rebiuld it any ways ad always pick the XE over the 8v

None of that bothers me really, the engine is going to be rebuilt and possibly bike carbs so as long as there is no major damage or potential problems Im not bothered

Yeah the redtop was my first choice aswell, I only brought the 8v because it was cheap and I jumped at the idea without thinking, the 8valver is now for sale along with a c20ne I brought for parts
SR91

31st May 10 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get what you pay for mate, pay pennies get a tappy smokey engine... The X20XEV is only 130BHP IIRC.. The C20XE (The one with the red rocker cover) is 150 BHP for the extra few quid its worth it.
Corsa B Boy

31st May 10 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am selling the c20ne I had spare for £150 so if I can get rid of the c20seh bare engine I have lying around then the money from both can be used to fund a redtop
fillmecca

31st May 10 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

None of that bothers me really, the engine is going to be rebuilt and possibly bike carbs so as long as there is no major damage or potential problems Im not bothered

Yeah the redtop was my first choice aswell, I only brought the 8v because it was cheap and I jumped at the idea without thinking, the 8valver is now for sale along with a c20ne I brought for parts

sounds like a plan mate the XE is worth the money over the 8V anyday i think driven both in a corsa and the XE wins my miles for me
Corsa B Boy

31st May 10 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Redtop it is then, I must have changed my engine choice more times than Ive had birthdays !! Lol
Corsa B Boy

31st May 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just changed my mind again.....probably......
If I can get rid of my engine quick enough then I have sourced an 2.0 16v ecotec from a Vectra SRi and ancillaries for £150
connollygt30

31st May 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just changed my mind again.....probably......
If I can get rid of my engine quick enough then I have sourced an 2.0 16v ecotec from a Vectra SRi and ancillaries for £150

Waste of money tbh
Corsa B Boy

31st May 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The conversion isnt a mainstream thing though and arent as common as the redtops which is always a good point.
Tuning parts are also now becoming more readily available for the ecotecs and they are very understated
am4nf

31st May 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason they are not as common as they are less powerful engines
Corsa B Boy

31st May 10 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2.0 from the Vectra SRi has 150bhp so that is the same as a redtop not less.
Liam D

31st May 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oi dont diss the x20xev!!

ive got one in my corsa and its an ace engine, i used it because it was free but even if i had to pay for it i wouldnt mind as all redtops are old now, thery stopped making them years ago, there old dinosaurs and rattle like hell, fair enough they have a lot of tuning bits available but thats only because they have been around since the dawn of time

parts are slowely starting to come out of developement now for the x20xev and it will soon take over from the c20xe, because one day there wont be any good/half decent c20xe's left, so dont knock them till you have tryed them!! just because it aint got 'redtop' on the lid dont mean its crap

[Edited on 31-05-2010 by bluecorsab]
connollygt30

31st May 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bluecorsab
oi dont diss the x20xev!! ive got one in my corsa and its an ace engine, i used it because it was free but even if i had to pay for it i wouldnt mind as all redtops are old now, thery stopped making them years ago, there old dinosaurs and rattle like hell, fair enough they have a lot of tuning bits available but thats only because they have been around since the dawn of time, parts are slowely starting to come out of developement now for the x20xev and it will soon take over from the c20xe, because one day there wont be any good/half decent c20xe's left, so dont knock them till you have tryed them!!

You talk that much shit your arse must get jealous
matty101

31st May 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bluecorsab
oi dont diss the x20xev!! ive got one in my corsa and its an ace engine, i used it because it was free but even if i had to pay for it i wouldnt mind as all redtops are old now, thery stopped making them years ago, there old dinosaurs and rattle like hell, fair enough they have a lot of tuning bits available but thats only because they have been around since the dawn of time, parts are slowely starting to come out of developement now for the x20xev and it will soon take over from the c20xe, because one day there wont be any good/half decent c20xe's left, so dont knock them till you have tryed them!!

You talk that much shit your arse must get jealous

wot about that is shit?

from wot i know its 100% right

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Corsa B Track Car + First Project 23 database queries in 0.1715729 seconds