corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » fitting downlights without taking up floor boards

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fitting downlights without taking up floor boards
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jul 14 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possible?

I cant lift the flooring upstairs is it still possible to fit the down lights?

I know I'm going to struggle getting the wiring in but was thinking could I cut into the existing ceiling and get it patched up by a plasterer?
AndyKent

28th Jul 14 at 05:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can't you lift the flooring?
Jon_C
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 07:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Perhaps he lives in a flat
Dom

28th Jul 14 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's getting the wiring between the beams that's the hassle and you'll be taking fair ol' chunks out of the ceiling. Certainly doable though.
pow
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad and I have done it but we had the ceiling plastered straight after as we ducked under the beams where we could.
ed

28th Jul 14 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can push the wiring through the ceiling with some kind of flexible pole if you've got long distances to cover and you're having trouble with it. You can get things like this which will do the trick:

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-401414/sealey-vs8181.html

You're going to have issues when you hit the ceiling structure though. As you've already said, you're probably going to need to cut into the ceiling to make holes for your cables - I've found that a large hole saw can help because you can keep the board you've cut out for the repair.
ed

28th Jul 14 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, a stud/wire/pipe detector can come in handy too if you're cutting chunks out of a wall/ceiling with unknown things behind it!

[Edited on 28-07-2014 by ed]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think its more effort than its worth tbh

probably just leave it
John

28th Jul 14 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Square hole beside each stud big enough to stick a drill through. Some string and a couple of the wee pole things and that'll do.
Toby
Premium Member

28th Jul 14 at 18:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had same issue so just ended up putting up another ceiling a couple of inches lower. It needed skiming anyway to get rid of the artex so for an extra £100~ and to remove the issues it was a no brainer for me.
Nismo

29th Jul 14 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All depends which way the joists go and where you want your down lights to go, you may find the joists go the way the lights go and then you only have to use rods to pull/push th enables along.

Another option as Toby mentioned is use 1" batten and put a new ceiling in.

crap google image but you get the idea.

[Edited on 29-07-2014 by Nismo]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how low can I make the ceiling? I have coving, so could I drop the ceiling below that? 4" lower?
Nismo

29th Jul 14 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its your ceiling do as you want, no ceiling police round here

i suppose it really go's on how much decorating you want to do and how much you want to spend?

You could remove the coving (and refit if you want to keep / fit new) and repaint the walls.

Lowering a ceiling by 1/2" is not noticeable through rooms, lowering it 4/5" will be, but its your call.

[Edited on 29-07-2014 by Nismo]
John

29th Jul 14 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coving is really cheap, I don't thu k anyone would reuse, that's if you could get it off without damage.
RichR
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

don't see the point of this, why not just drop the original ceiling and secure the new boards to the original joists? You're going to be skimming it anyway and what are the new battens fixed to?
John

29th Jul 14 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Less mess doing it that way instead of pulling the ceiling down and saves you time in clearing the mess.
RichR
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems mickey mouse; dropping ceilings doesn't make that much mess or take that long unless its lath and plaster in which case I'd still drop it.
Gary
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 17:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

absolutely no point in dropping the ceiling. just rip the original boards down rewire , board and.skim. easy.
John

29th Jul 14 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, if thinking about dropping it, just make holes everywhere then board straight onto the other stuff.
Nismo

29th Jul 14 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was only saying to do it that way for ease and less mess, yeah if your going to do the whole lot then it makes perfect sense to just rip the old ceiling down in sections and reboard / skim.
RichR
Premium Member

29th Jul 14 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how many access holes are required and how many lights you're fitting; decent plasterer will patch a hole without it ever being noticeable so long as it's less than a trowel's width but it takes time to do so more holes = more time and eventually you'll be better off just reboarding and skimming the whole thing. I hate skimming ceilings without doing walls as well though as not being able to scrim the corners can give headaches unless you're coving.

[Edited on 29-07-2014 by RichR]
John

29th Jul 14 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any Joe with a bag of easy fill and some sand paper can patch a hole so you can't see it. I'd say a plasterer has skill on a far larger area than that. Even boarding it, easy fill and patience will cover the joints, no need for plastering.
Dave

29th Jul 14 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me not this shit again. I've now realised who RichR is though.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Jul 14 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not wanting to keep the coving. I was wondering about dropping the ceiling below the existing coving so I dont have to remove it
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Dec 14 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lights are getting the first fix today! plasterer coming next week to patch it up/skim

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll