corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Stock market

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stock market
Colin

User status: Offline
19th Feb 07 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone buy & sell shares???

One of my college lecturers showed me last week what he does & how hes doubled his money over 3yrs buying & selling & how he also ran a mock up for 2 yrs prior to that with the same results (he keeps it all on an excell spreadsheet he updates monthly). He also said that if he started at my age & instead of having like 5% isa savings you could invest sensibly every month into stock holdings retire a multi-millionaire. He says on average the value of his investments rises 22% every year.

Anyone got any experience??
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its risky, you need to pick the good shares and avoid the bad ones. And you cant do this through pot luck, you need to research the market, and all of the companies involved, and even still your taking a guess at certain outcomes and try to predict what a certain company will do.

And to make mega money you need to invest mega money. My Dad has a lot of money invested in shares (his stockbroker is one of the leading in the city and he only has 10 clients to give you an idea) yet he doesnt make millions off it - he does make great money off it though.
Colin

19th Feb 07 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah of course theres risks - although he's not going near the big risk companies, a lot of research would be needed & obviously the more the invested the more you get out. He buys every day company shares with high % yields & has only had one low in 5 years of his market experiment (2 mock 3 for real) hes not shifting huge money & neither would I but like I said average of 22% on his investments where a bank would offer you just 5% for the same terms/amount for the pleasure of trading it for you (but no risk).

He thinks you can make £140k in 20 years with just a single investment of £3k invested reasonably safely.

Thinking about playing a mock setup over a few years to see where it goes

[Edited on 19-02-2007 by Colin]

Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH The % you can make depends on the risk. The low risk shares wont bring in that much, you'd have to take some risks to bring in any decent money. And its just as easy to lose money youve made in 2 years by making one or two bad deals which is easily done.

[Edited on 19-02-2007 by Cosmo]
Colin

19th Feb 07 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He buys the high yield shares & keeps them for longer time & has only went down points like 1 one time out of 20. Im aware big risk shares you make the big losses/gains but im talking small time here, couple grand to try & double my money!!

Colin

19th Feb 07 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read more about high yield portfolio's here - http://www.fool.co.uk/valueinvesting/2005/vi050304.htm

Im going to whip up a spreadsheet tomorrow & buy £1k's worth of 'pretend' stock from the ftse 250 using high yield big known companies...........see where I am in 6 months

Russ

19th Feb 07 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its hard work tbh, people think its just sit back and watch the cash role in, but your better off with a high risk ISA unless you seriously know waht your doing.
topshot_2k
Banned

19th Feb 07 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We invested in shares in Building societys, such as the woolwich etc We just sold half of our shares for £3k which is over twice what we payed for them
topshot_2k
Banned

19th Feb 07 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH i have used the money in trackers funds and ISA's now.
Jill
Premium Member

19th Feb 07 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buying shares can be quite daunting ie: who to buy from, how much to invest etc etc. Have you thought about buying the Financial Times on a regular basis for a while and checking out the FTSE100- this lists the top 100 companies in the uk, based on how much they are worth, as well as a return figure (the amount of money you will get back depending on how much you invest).

My dad's really into shares and stuff like that and he belongs to an investment club- have you thought about joining one. A top club last year had a return of 605%, which translates to a profit of £3,630 on a £50 a month investment.

http://www.proshareclubs.co.uk

http://moneysupermarket.com (good website to compare and buy funds and shares etc)

JILL
John_C

19th Feb 07 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.share.com/webp/practice_account.htm
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll give you one tip for your practice shares...Sainbury's

Yuve missed out on the massive increases theyve had over the last 6 weeks, but they are expected to attract a few bids to buy them so shares will rise still.
John_C

19th Feb 07 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think the horse has bolted on that
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John_C
think the horse has bolted on that

just watch it
Colin

19th Feb 07 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah ive been looking at Financial publications for a while now & hold some company shares I bought a while ago (& done pretty well from), im really just wanting to invest a little money every year & build a portfolio, I already have Isa's but your only allowed to save £3k/yr with them & the interest isnt all that good. Fancy having a wee dabble but ive decided to run a mock up 1st to see what direction it takes before using real money!!

Im going to pick a 5 or 6 companies based on the share yeild value, probably one from each sector note down the value today then go back in 6 months & see whats happened.
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Time for a CS Stock league?!
John_C

19th Feb 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm game

does any1 do spread betting?

[Edited on 19-02-2007 by John_C]
John

19th Feb 07 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be interested in taking part in a CS stock league.

Always meant to look into it.

I've got a bullbearings account but i just randomly pick companies.
Cosmo

19th Feb 07 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill have a search about for somewhere that you can set up a league and stuff. Let me know if you know of one!!
John

19th Feb 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't have a clue tbh.

Woudln't even know where to start, just something i've always fancied doing.
Jules S
Premium Member

19th Feb 07 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shares go up and down.....anybody thinking they were cash rich when the market crashed last time were brought down with a very big bump.

I'm tempted to do some dabbling, gotta say i would be tempted to sell often to transfer monies into more secure holdings
John_C

20th Feb 07 at 00:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pussy^^

j/king
Jules S
Premium Member

20th Feb 07 at 01:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John_C
pussy^^

j/king

Laugh so hard when you have lost as much as I have on the stock market....
John_C

20th Feb 07 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough i havent had fingers burnt yet but guess i should expect it
dna23

20th Feb 07 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got quite a bit of money on the stock market, my Brothers in control of it all - he's just finishing Uni and got a job in Switzerland for UBS on the trading floor - he's in the know about it all.

I've started recently looking into it a lot more, you need to really get the FT daily, keep track of the news and if at all possibly find someone with some info on a company

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll