corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft Band

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft Band
kz

User status: Offline
31st Oct 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone see this revealed the other day? Looks really good, shame it's US only atm. I especially like that it's cross platform between Windows Phone, iOS & Android. Also the amount of sensors in this thing is crazy...

Optical heart rate sensor
    3-axis accelerometer/gyro
    Gyrometer
    GPS
    Ambient light sensor
    Skin temperature sensor
    UV sensor
    Capacitive sensor
    Galvanic skin response
    Microphone

Liking the fact it has some smartphone features too such as text/email/Facebook/Twitter notifications that can appear on it. Could come in handy (no pun intended) never really been interested in this kind of thing but imo this could suit me more than the Apple Watch, and I'm a through and through iPhone user...

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-us

dannymccann

1st Nov 14 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks nice that as long as it doesn't come with the Surface price tag!
evilrob
Premium Member

1st Nov 14 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm obviously all over this. Might get my mum to send one over.
kz

2nd Nov 14 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Verge have got a preview up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mmn8a8zd_A

bare in mind they pretty much despise Microsoft (apart from Tom Warren) so anything even remotely positive is in reality, really very good.

In my opinion the Moto 360 is the best looking wrist technology (don't know what to call the combination of smartwatches and fitness trackers!) but I still prefer the Band to the Apple Watch, I think. What needs to happen is a screen you can rotate off a hinge. The orientation does look kind of horrible to use but unless someone comes out with a version that uses my suggestion I just don't know how they're going to tackle this problem. I know some people swear by just wearing them on the underside of your wrist, but I'm not sure I could get used to that, not to mention scratching it along the table as you type.

Considering ordering one in from America, delivery would be about £50... but I'm not sure. Joe Belfiore has stated they're just testing the product in the US atm, with no mention of a release anywhere else hope it doesn't become the next Zune.
evilrob
Premium Member

2nd Nov 14 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sold out online, and my mum's nearest Microsoft store near Philadelphia is sold out also apparently. :/
kz

2nd Nov 14 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Overall, that could be a good sign though lol. Don't like their sizing guide thing, hard to work out what you need...

I have lady wrists but seeing as though the band is adjustable I wouldn't know if I should be going for small and maxing it out, or medium and putting it on a shorter setting.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Nov 14 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're thinking about circumference - the small/medium/large relates to how 'tall' your wrist is; they make this quite clear.
kz

3rd Nov 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you downloaded and printed the 'Find your right size' document? It's pretty confusing... depending on what angle you look at it, I could be S, M or L! I took it round the office and others found the same.

I think a much better idea would be to print out a strap that you could get your sizing from. Obviously, circumference would make a difference too.

Because of this I think an internet order probably wouldn't be ideal for me, I hope if it does come to the UK, it'll make its way to Currys/John Lewis again.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Nov 14 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just stuck a tape measure up against my wrist placed flat on a desk. I also have lady wrists, I'll be ordering a small.
evilrob
Premium Member

3rd Nov 14 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also found the printy guide thing bollocks - I went off this:

Balling
Premium Member

3rd Nov 14 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See, this, to me, is a much better product than a smart watch.

It does some things that your phone can't easily achieve alone, without trying to do a lot of things you could do much more easily on your phone.

I'm very curious to see some reviews for this.

Balling
Premium Member

3rd Nov 14 at 11:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wait, so reading up on this, it actually is exactly a smart watch, they're just branding it in a much more clever way to put focus on the functionality that matters.

kz

3rd Nov 14 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a smartwatch in that it does have smart features i.e. notifications... but that's not it's primary function.

Even though it kind of would be for me, as I've fallen off from heath related apps recently. Used to be on MyFitnessPal & Nike+Move all the time, never know maybe this would get me back on them. I like the function that buzzes your wrist when it's time to start/stop reps.
Rob_Quads

4th Nov 14 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its still a smart watch. Its just gone for that middle ground between the existing specific function fitness bands that we have had for a while and the new normal watch looking smart watches with lots of capability.
kz

4th Nov 14 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are buying the Band hoping it will be the best smartwatch on the market, this device is likely not for you. Based on how Microsoft is marketing the device, the focus is on your health and everything else is an added bonus.

Notifications work on the device but it is far from an optimal experience on the tiny screen. And with the limited number of apps that can be installed (although the option for turning on the notification center does help), you will always be juggling what content is shown on the band.

From a fitness perspective, the band hits all the marks you would expect and then even goes above and beyond those expectations with unique attributes like the UV sensor. If you are looking for a fitness band that does more than simply count your steps, the Band should be high on your list.

http://neowin.net/news/five-things-to-know-before-buying-the-microsoft-band
Balling
Premium Member

4th Nov 14 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is, all the stuff it does poorly is the same things every "genuine" smartwatch does poorly as well.
They just put the focus on things that actually makes sense for a wearable device to do in the first place.

Any new smartwatch might turn out to be the best watch for reading emails and receiving phone calls, but that's still like being the smartest kid with down syndrome in that your phone (which is still necessary to keep right there in your pocket) is always going to do it better.

evilrob
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now available for preorder in the UK for £169:
http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-band/en-gb

edit: £10 cashback via Quidco

[Edited on 17-03-2015 by evilrob]
kz

17th Mar 15 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah think I'll pick one up. Unfortunately not going to be available in-store @ Currys to begin with, so nowhere to try them on first
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm ive been after something like this for a while

very tempted
Steve
Premium Member

17th Mar 15 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

want one of these I think
Robin
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have to wear it like a retard or can you have it on the outside of your wrist like any normal person would want?
kz

18th Mar 15 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can wear it on top of your wrist as well, but it's harder to read the screen...

evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else preordered or are you gonna let me find out how shit/surprisingly not shit it is on my own?

edit: Quidco £10 cashback expires in 4 days. I also had a £10 coupon knocking about from a previous Microsoft Store purchase (possibly my Surface Pro). Hopefully my total cost of ownership will end up being £149.

[Edited on 18-03-2015 by evilrob]
Steve
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any issues with ordering one from USA using it in this country?
evilrob
Premium Member

18th Mar 15 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should work fine, old chap.

Not sure it would save you a huge amount of money or get here massively quicker, though - they start shipping locally on the 15th of April so not long to wait, and the ones on eBay seem to go for more than £170.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll