corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hosting and Domain Name from 1 place...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hosting and Domain Name from 1 place...
Rich H

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 09 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, in short I need approx 2.5gb of webspace and a new domain name for a guy I'm helping out to update his basic site.

The only reason that much space is required is because the site's for book's he's written and he's narrated them, which are then able to be played on the site via a flash mp3 player.

The amount of hits the site receives atm is pretty small (around 150 per month)

I've been looking at 123reg who do a 2GB or 5GB package, just wondering if there was anything closer to the 2.5 / 3GB mark for no more than the 5GB package on 123reg.

I have no idea what to do if I buy the domain from 1 place and the hosting from another, hence why I want to just get it from 1 place lol.

Cheers,

Rich

[Edited on 23-07-2009 by Rich H]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Jul 09 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go to www.fasthosts.co.uk , they also own ukreg.com
Rich H

23rd Jul 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks like it could be pretty good vfm actually! Cheers mate
ed

23rd Jul 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On streamline.net you get a free domain with your hosting. Pretty cheap too..
Bart

23rd Jul 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PAYH is ok too
Rich H

23rd Jul 09 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
On streamline.net you get a free domain with your hosting. Pretty cheap too..

Good shout Ed - just checked that out and because of the free .co.uk domain name it works out the cheapest

And that's their "unlimited" package too.

Cheers all!

[Edited on 23-07-2009 by Rich H]
Dom

23rd Jul 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tsohost.co.uk would be my shout, i pay £50 per year for 10GB space and 100GB monthly bandwidth (+cPanel, MySQL DBs, subdomains, add-on domains etc) which is an absolute bargin! Includes free domain name too

However, the space isn't the issue, bandwidth is what you need to be looking at especially as the site is heavily multimedia based. And if it states unlimited, READ the small print - NOTHING is unlimited in hosting (especially bandwidth), so a lot of sites don't allow audio or video to be hosted, or allow for a download site (had issues with a host regarding my portfolio site, as i had mp3s and videos of my work and they classed it as a download site - so they closed it without warning and didn't refund anything ).

Edit -

quote:

1.2 Streamline.Net offer unlimited web space and un-restricted bandwidth with some account types. By this, we mean unlimited space for legitimate web site content and bandwidth for visitors to view it. All files on a domain must be part of the active website and linked to the site. Sites should not contain any backups, downloads, or other non-web based content;

Bit of a pisser, might not effect you directly as you'll be streaming it via a flash player but it states that you can't host files that you externally link to, nor do they allow you to host zip/rar files - rather pay the same and get space that i can do pretty anything i want with, but then again this is what you get with "unlimited" services.

[Edited on 23-07-2009 by Dom]
Rich H

23rd Jul 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dom, I'd read your undedited post and was going to go and read the T&C's, but you may have saved me doing that!

Basically the site stores the mp3 files in a "sound" directory, but is only streamed via the flash player embedded on the site, nowhere else - it's not even linking the sound files to anywhere else. Hmmm, wonder if it'd be any good.

I'll check out your link too.

Alternatively, how easy is it to obtain server space to use as I wish, and link a domain name I got from somewhere such as 123reg to it? If anybody can put it in simple terms how to do it, I may be able to manage? I like to think I'm not a total idiot with computers lol.

Cheers
Dom

23rd Jul 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you should be fine as it states you can stream files, it just limits what you can do with the hosting package.

But if you do purchase a domain name and hosting seperately, then it's a simple case of entering the name servers (usually your host has two of them) of your host (eg - ns1.tsohost.co.uk, ns2.tsohost.co.uk) into your dns settings on your 123reg console/config page. It roughly takes an hour or so before the domain name starts pointing to your hosting, but allow 24hrs for worldwide access.
Olsrey

24th Jul 09 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.godaddy.com

Cheapest I've ever found for what they offer and pretty sure you get a free .com domain with each hosting purchase.
Sam
Premium Member

24th Jul 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Streamline and Fasthosts I wouldn't touch with a barge pole TBH.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

24th Jul 09 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've dealt with Fasthosts many times Sam and its been fine.
1_Litre_Porsche_Beater

24th Jul 09 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheapest isn't always the best, i have all my sites with webhostinguk. Can't fault them and the customer service is superb
Rich H

27th Jul 09 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, last day to get this done

I know I keep changing my mind - my bad!

Just been looking at tsohost - their package actually seems best tbh - 2 years domain name for £5.98 and 2.5gb server space with 25gb per month bandwidth, paid for 2 years up front comes for £79.98.

The linux cpanel will be fine won't it? I don't tend to configure much in the background and just upload to it via FTP...

Sorry for the noobie questions
Matt L

27th Jul 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im with fractix which is unlimited everything + domain for something stupid like £15/20 for 3 years and never had any problems with them tbh.
liamC

27th Jul 09 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dreamhost.
Rich H

27th Jul 09 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the linux cpanel (that seems to come standard on most of these packages) ok? I know it doesn't mean you have to have a Linux O/S lol.

I don't tend to configure much in the background and just upload to it via FTP so presume this should be ok?
liamC

27th Jul 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as the technology you're using isn't ASP etc you can run on a hosting plan using a Linux server no problem.

But yes, you're right, login via FTP and upload away.
Dom

27th Jul 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cPanel is pretty good, gives you access to setting up subdomains/email accounts/MySQL Databases/FTP accounts/Add-on domains etc But yes, you'll be emailed your ftp login details, along with cPanel and tsohosts web account panel, and you can login straight away and start uploading - just remember to upload stuff to the www directory rather than the hosts root.
Rich H

27th Jul 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all your advice guys - appreciated

Have opted to go with tsohosts on a 2 year up front basis for 2.5gb server space and the Linux CPanel - came to £79 something for the 2 years and 2 years registration of the domain name too.
Dom

27th Jul 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seems pretty good, although keep and eye on the monthly bandwidth (it lists current disk(storage)/bandwidth usage on the left panel in cPanel). Also remember that email accounts eat into the disk usage.
Rich H

27th Jul 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh won't be using the email addys, but also plan to try and reduce the sound quality of the mp3 files etc to free up some vital space
Dom

27th Jul 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it's just spoken words/narrating, then convert them to mono (no need for stereo imaging as it'll be the same eitherside anyways) before you start lowering the quality as that'll reduce the file size by half (roughly)

[Edited on 27-07-2009 by Dom]
Rich H

27th Jul 09 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good shout batman! Cheers!
Dom

27th Jul 09 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Good shout batman! Cheers!

no worries, do a few tests with mp3 bitrates around the 60-90kbits region as it won't get rid of the fundamental frequencies for spoken word material. however, if it has sound effects then you'll probably need to up the bitrate.

New Poll