corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Question !! gear linkage

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Question !! gear linkage
Anty
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Oct 13 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are these common to fail on corsa B`s

took my car to halfords.. Redditch branch

gearbox was working fine this morning, 1-5 gears arrived 90 am

was told it would be ready by 3pm... rang up.. oh no, its not quite ready... ill ring you in 30-40mins..

i had to ring them at 4:10pm collected the car 4:50pm

drove down the dual carrage .. noticed there is no fifth gear.. take it back .. confornted him about it, while someone else was in there.. little bit of an arguement.. asked the machanic to show me what the problem was, low revs in 1st gear. can smell clutch burning now.

then while i was out in the garage mouthed off at me for having ago at him, im well within my rights comsumer rights..

feel sick .. knowing that jumped up to$$er has something to do with it.

[Edited on 03-10-2013 by Anty]
Dom

3rd Oct 13 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I believe it is a common issue on the B's as it is with the C's, hence being able to buy updated rose-jointed versions rather than the original ball and socket arrangement.

What did you originally take the car in for?
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what was the reason for taking it into garage in the first place?
Anty
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2weeks ago, wanted the fan belt changed, and got a free dynostic, he told me the alt needed changing as the bearings inside have gone?? so wont be charging the battery.. also water pump.. which i knew needed doing..

Quoted £245.97 for alt and £157.86 for water pump.. so i had the water pump changed today, but told me the price was £153.75, gave me a discount of £3.75, total payable £150.00
Generation

3rd Oct 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Won't be charging the battery? Wtf? How did you drive there if battery wasn't charging itself? Did you charge the battery yourself?
Generation

3rd Oct 13 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternator costing that much!!!! Fkin hell
daymoon
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 21:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how the hell they manage to cock up gear linkage if its other side of engine to waterpump!
Anty
Premium Member

3rd Oct 13 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
how the hell they manage to cock up gear linkage if its other side of engine to waterpump!

thats what i would like to know !!!

why do i smell the clutch burning?

yeah thats what i thought, not paying that for for the Alt, must have seen me coming

the battery runs fine..
SVM 286

3rd Oct 13 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bearings were so worn on the alternator on one of my MK II Cavaliers that the endfloat on the shaft was making the fins/vains of the fan, rub on the body of the alternator and make a horrid, deafening, screeching/screaming noise.

Took the alternator off. Removed the pully and cut/ground the fins off and hammered it flat. Put it back together and fitted it back on the car and used it for another two years without issue.

Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have just tryed to put it in reverse, but it drives forward.. WTF !!
spencer88

4th Oct 13 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£250 for an alt?

Fuck, I got one done, on New Years Eve for under £100!

Clearly have messed the gears up and what is Reverse, is now 1st, 1st is now third!
John

4th Oct 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you sure you're putting the gear stick to R and not 2?
Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lift far left.. Wont go in.
John

4th Oct 13 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Foot on the clutch?
Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 11:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, that too
SteveoBC
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

linkage not lined up properly, had the same probs when i refurbished mine, if its not aligned properly, reverse becomes first gear, 1st becomes 3rd so thats why you cant get into 5th

probs the reason the clutch is giving a burning smell as you are trying to pull away thinking its 1st when actually you are in 3rd as the gear linkage is mis-aligned

either someones fiddled with it, the nylon bushes are gone or its mis-aligned itself with wear over time
Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 12:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personaly i think they have tamperd with it, as he spoke to me, with a smirk..
Generation

4th Oct 13 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it back, and say wasn't like it when you arrived and now it's damaged. Big company like that, if they fuck about speak to head office direct.

Cs can't help here
Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I complained there and then, they said its booked in for tomorow, for gear linkage replacement, £28 no labour costs.. seems iffy .. but will be going with trading standerds, after see how it works out tomorow. Might need to be trailerd away
Generation

4th Oct 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to trading standards afterwards, where's your proof?
Anty
Premium Member

4th Oct 13 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt think this far ahead..lol
Dom

4th Oct 13 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to be taking pictures of everything, especially a load of the linkage they're apparently replacing. And ideally find out exactly what part of the linkage they're replacing as well.

And depending the engine (certainly the case with the 1.2), you have to remove the engine mounts to get to the accessory belt and water pump housing which could be a possible explanation for the linkage.
Although it all still sounds a bit iffy.

Tbh, i've never had too many issues with my local Halford Autocentre - always decent service (unless they're busy which case you have to do a little chasing) and they're usually the cheapest for work/parts compared to other garages around here.
Guess it's luck of the draw.
Anty
Premium Member

6th Oct 13 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got the car back, cost me £34.42 with vat

New linkage fitted, bracket arm thing..

Ive noticed second gear seems sticky, bit hard to go in, and can smell clutch . .

[Edited on 06-10-2013 by Anty]
BenC1985

6th Oct 13 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stop taking it to them and take it somewhere what knows what they are doing. They are just bending you over and butt fucking you!!
Anty
Premium Member

6th Oct 13 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there head office number is at the building there at.. wtf?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Question !! gear linkage 22 database queries in 0.0143361 seconds