corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra gsi -v- corsa vxr

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Astra gsi -v- corsa vxr
belton

User status: Offline
15th Mar 11 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Riiight . . .
Recently had a thread on gsi's and I originally thought I wouldn't sway towards a corsa vxr. But I am stuck.

My general opinion- both pretty woeful standard, corsa not so much.

Corsa-newer, looks nice. Hopefully test drive one this week.

Astra gsi- bigger. Looks nice I am sure people can now se where I am stuck!

Question being, what would you get andwhy? Corsa would be standard if I bought it,
while the gsi I am looking at has LSD, coilovers, miltek, stage 1, 46k fsh Inc. Cambelt, had 4 owners though?!

Oh and Astra vxr is out the question,
AndyKent

15th Mar 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by belton
My general opinion- both pretty woeful standard, corsa not so much.

Why consider either then

Get something better as standard?
big eck

15th Mar 11 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all depends how deep your pockets are mate, you can pick up a very nice GSI now for less than £5k and its over that for the corsa. I'd imagine the GSI to be just as quick if not quicker (i'm goin on the basis your not leaving it standard) and still save more money than buying the corsa.

Why not an astra btw???
Jambo

15th Mar 11 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This post makes no sense

Do you mean an Astra vxr? A gsi is about half the price of a Corsa vxr.

The Corsa is good the Astra woeful.
belton

15th Mar 11 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know it sounds incredibly stupid me saying they are both crap standard but it's quite true. They wouldn't stay standard. They are also a vauxhall which means they are cheap to run. I wouldn't like to budget for owning a BMW or even a vag car like I do at the moment.

Eck the astra is stupidly high on insurance. I couldn't justify 3k of cash on any car for insurance lol, really irritating!
Gsi's seem to be holding value fairly well at the moment. I have been checking all the usual sites and the decent ones are still around 6k. I refuse to buy one with over 50k on the clock. That's my dilema. I could just spend the extra £1500 and get an 07 vxr with warrenty etc.

Oh and andy I want another vauxhall!
belton

15th Mar 11 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jambo I do mean astra gsi. Good ones are still about £6000+
why I dunno. But they seem to be selling
AndyKent

15th Mar 11 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wanting a vaux for the sake of it is stupid. If you think they're not amazing standard don't buy one just because you want a certain brand.
AndyCorsaSport

16th Mar 11 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate got a 53 plate GSi with 70k, full miltek from turbo back. Immaculate. He paid £3800 for it.
belton

16th Mar 11 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok andykent I see your point but an astra gsi is not a fantastic car standard. I liked it, but, it could get boring quickly.
70k is too much for me for a gsi would have to have low milage. I did actually state real reasons as to why I wanted one another vauxhall.
Any feedback from anyonevwho has driven both, pros /cons?

[Edited on 16-03-2011 by belton]
Jambo

16th Mar 11 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An Astra gsi is almost as much to fuel as an ///M3.
big eck

16th Mar 11 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheap to run??? The astra maybe but the stuff for the corsa is pricey.

take a look at the amount of problems they both have on the dedicated forums, aon, vxrowners etc.
belton

16th Mar 11 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The corsa has chocolate piston. Astra wank turbo. M3s get about 18-25mpg and have BMW service bills. Corsa+astra around 32mpg. The vauxhalls are going to be alot cheaper than any BMW. unless I got a 316 or something. The BMW I was looking at was the 04 reg 330i.
sc0ott

16th Mar 11 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All dealer parts are expensive for all cars.

Wouldnt modifying it void the warranty though ?
Ojc

16th Mar 11 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know it sounds incredibly stupid me saying they are both crap standard but it's quite true. They wouldn't stay standard. They are also a vauxhall which means they are cheap to run. I wouldn't like to budget for owning a BMW or even a vag car like I do at the moment.

The only thing that is quite true is that you are talking complete and utter bollocks.

The Corsa VXR is light years ahead of an Astra GSi in every way possible, the difference in handling and driver feedback is like night and day. The Corsa wants for nothing as standard at all, the Astra will need money chucking at it to get it to handle anywhere near as good. I would say the Corsa would hold it's own in a drag race as well but that isn't everything.
Ojc

16th Mar 11 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The corsa has chocolate piston. Astra wank turbo. M3s get about 18-25mpg and have BMW service bills. Corsa+astra around 32mpg. The vauxhalls are going to be alot cheaper than any BMW. unless I got a 316 or something. The BMW I was looking at was the 04 reg 330i.

Choco pistons if you have it mapped and don't run the correct fuel or have it mapped by Re...
belton

16th Mar 11 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well why does everyone on this forum claim they are both the worst cars possible! What would you reccomend then ojc.
I have driven a standard gsi and a corsa Sri turbo (can't be that different to a vxr), both of which I enjoyed, alot. But still felt a little dissapointed. Would rather some feedback from people that own either

dannymccann

16th Mar 11 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well why does everyone on this forum claim they are both the worst cars possible! What would you reccomend then ojc.
I have driven a standard gsi and a corsa Sri turbo (can't be that different to a vxr), both of which I enjoyed, alot. But still felt a little dissapointed. Would rather some feedback from people that own either

Because most of those people either havent driven one or both of them for any length of time, they are regurgitating internetz rumours, or because most people are talking about modified ones. A standard car is designed to be reliable, otherwise manufacturers would go out of business, when you start fucking around with the standard, tested (over hundreds of thousands of miles and hundreds of thousands of pounds) specification is when you will encounter problems with every car, its just some handle it better than others

I havent driven either of the cars but you need to decide on the priorities - do you want something you can chuck round a bend but is small and has a little boot? Go for the Corsa. If you want something comfier, quick, a bit shit in the corners but is bigger and a little cheaper, then go for the Astra
Ojc

16th Mar 11 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having my ex who owned a GSi and I drove lots and then owning a Corsa VXR I would be in a position to tell you my opinion and that is that the GSi is a nice car, it doesn't do anything great it's just nice. I'd own one especially a silver one but I'd have to have it on Bilsteins the entire Whiteline catalogue throw at it and a VXR turbo/MAF/AFM and at that point you are looking at nearly 2.5k on purchase price.

The Corsa needs nothing. Not a god damm thing apart from optional upgrades like a decent map, set of springs to improve the looks maybe and a Remus back box and pre cat removal pipe.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Mar 11 at 08:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra looking really dated now.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ojc

16th Mar 11 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Astra looking really dated now.

You think? I don't think they are at all.
Ben G

16th Mar 11 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Wanting a vaux for the sake of it is stupid. If you think they're not amazing standard don't buy one just because you want a certain brand.

i agree. not every other brand makes expensive to run cars. renault clio 197 is arguably better than the corsa vxr and won't cost the earth to run.

if you are umming and arrring about which car to own and saying that they are both rubbish as standard then they are probably not the cars for you.
MatthewR

16th Mar 11 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Having my ex who owned a GSi and I drove lots and then owning a Corsa VXR I would be in a position to tell you my opinion and that is that the GSi is a nice car, it doesn't do anything great it's just nice. I'd own one especially a silver one but I'd have to have it on Bilsteins the entire Whiteline catalogue throw at it and a VXR turbo/MAF/AFM and at that point you are looking at nearly 2.5k on purchase price.

The Corsa needs nothing. Not a god damm thing apart from optional upgrades like a decent map, set of springs to improve the looks maybe and a Remus back box and pre cat removal pipe.

All we have is a Thorney remap and Remus too couldnt agree more!!! doenst need anything more!!
Corsa_Sport21

16th Mar 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want an Astra Gsi,i would say buy 1 that has had all the necessary upgrades done.

I.E mainly suspension and VXR turbo etc.That way you will save a shit load of cash and wont have to do it yourself.
Ojc

16th Mar 11 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buying one with it all done means it's probably been done badly and will be shit.
Corsa_Sport21

16th Mar 11 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was your Astra Burg shit??

Is your Corsa shit??

[Edited on 16-03-2011 by Corsa_Sport21]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Astra gsi -v- corsa vxr 23 database queries in 0.1758571 seconds