corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Whats involved in setting up carbs?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Whats involved in setting up carbs?
Ojc

User status: Offline
11th Sep 06 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just out of curiosity really, not planning on it myself just wondered how you do it. Its something that I've never quite got my head around.

For example take a 1.6 8v multi point injection engine, how do you go about binning all the injection system and changing that over to carbs? Do you bin the fuel pump etc?

Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

setting up, or converting to?
Ojc

11th Sep 06 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are all weber carbs the same? The twin 40 etc? You just use a inlet manifold that suits the engine you've got and attach the webers to that? Where do you get the inlet manifolds from?
Ojc

11th Sep 06 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robmarriott
setting up, or converting to?

Converting to Robin.
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

keep the fuel pump but use a pressure regulator to take the pressure down to around 5 psi, then another regulator to take it down further. Then you just have to connect the fuel line onto the carbs, set up the throttle linkage and thats it.

You can keep the existing ignition setup.

Corsa C Z20Let

Black Sleeper Turbo Project
Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see Colins mini thread, the princible is the same

as for Weber Carbs, there are a lot of different types, but the most common ones to use are the DCOE (now known as the DCOW if you buy new) and the DTML, as found on the fiesta XR2.

manifolds, http://www.tuning.co.uk
JadeM
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your buying new inlet manifolds, then jenvey do them. You can use the same ones they use for tb's. Webers and dellortos have the same pattern so any of them will fit onto the manifold.

If your buying 2nd hand carbs then make sure you know what choke sizes are fitted as these are expensive to replace. Also buy a gasket and seals kit for about £50 so you can renew them.

Corsa C Z20Let

Ojc

11th Sep 06 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sly_SRi
keep the fuel pump but use a pressure regulator to take the pressure down to around 5 psi, then another regulator to take it down further. Then you just have to connect the fuel line onto the carbs, set up the throttle linkage and thats it.

You can keep the existing ignition setup.

You had a lot of trouble with doing it that way though didn't you?
jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Olliver

Buy an inlet, from online autosport, and a throttle linkage, and a set of twin 40's

mount these, and your fuel set up with an FPR (cossie one is favored from what ive read)

either ise dizzy or something liek weberalpha/illminations

think you need a diffrent type of duel pump as well

then take it to someone to set up

PS dont do it
Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't have trouble with the fueling. Being adjustable I could set it to whatever pressure I needed. But, I didn't have a fuel pressure gauge so I wasn't sure what pressure it was running!

Or you can get another low pressure fuel pump and even keep the existing pump in the tank (but switched off). it'll just bypass it.

Corsa C Z20Let

jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but of you have a external pump surely your going to need to go down the roye of having a swirl pot, and things which scare me as i dont know about them
Ojc

11th Sep 06 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
Olliver

Buy an inlet, from online autosport, and a throttle linkage, and a set of twin 40's

mount these, and your fuel set up with an FPR (cossie one is favored from what ive read)

either ise dizzy or something liek weberalpha/illminations

think you need a diffrent type of duel pump as well

then take it to someone to set up

PS dont do it

Right this is where I get confused, you have the new inlet manifold and the carbs and the throttle linkage, I've binned the airflow meter and the ECU? But if its carbs then surely it won't need any kind of engine management? What then controls the CTS and things like that?

This is very confusing, what then tells the engine to fire etc?
jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the CTS ???

the rotor is still spining, and the coil and dizzy are still there, thats the ignition side of things

Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you'll find on ur engine you can keep the ignition setup working without the ECU.

If not, however. Keep the ECU, just disconnect the injectors/sensors etc. And it'll still run the ignition side of things. You can mount a throttle position sensor also.

Corsa C Z20Let

Sly_SRi
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or.....just buy my ignition setup I have sitting in my garage which is for a nova

Corsa C Z20Let

Ojc

11th Sep 06 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
whats the CTS ???

the rotor is still spining, and the coil and dizzy are still there, thats the ignition side of things

Coolant temp sensor, oil temp sensor what controls these if you've ditched the ECU and AFM?
Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just pay Lee to do it
Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by jr
whats the CTS ???

Coolant temp sensor, oil temp sensor what controls these if you've ditched the ECU and AFM?

nothing. you dont need a CTS, you'll have a manual choke, for cold starts, which is what the CTS is there for...

oil temp sender will still work as its just a sender, doesnt control anything except the gauge
ed

11th Sep 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything is mechanical on Carbs. You leave the sensors in to block the holes, but they do nothing. Or you can use electronic ignition managment which controls the spark plugs. Either way, you are downgrading your engine
jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH i have no idea, and never thought about it

CTS is there for a fueling purpose, so it can adjust it, by going on the basis with carsb the fueling is manually done then tahst done away with surely ??

Oil temp/Pressure, dont know

J1M is top bloke to talk too regarding how it works
jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Everything is mechanical on Carbs. You leave the sensors in to block the holes, but they do nothing. Or you can use electronic ignition managment which controls the spark plugs. Either way, you are downgrading your engine

Robin
Premium Member

11th Sep 06 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try telling J1M with his 160bhp that carbs are a downgrade
jr

11th Sep 06 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and a sub 15 1/4 mile
ed

11th Sep 06 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would have been better using EFI

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Whats involved in setting up carbs? 23 database queries in 0.1959510 seconds