corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clever car people - broster / rob / etc

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clever car people - broster / rob / etc
Paul_J

User status: Offline
30th Apr 06 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just fitted my kent pt51s today, ran them in for 20 mins over 2500 rpm which is what it said to do, changed belt, oil filter and oil as well.

Car generally drives ok except it stalls when you clutch down, stop at lights, let it idle, come up to roundabouts etc.

It's making a weird tapping noise between 2500-3000 rpm - above it is fine, and below 2500 rpm its fine. just inbetween this rev range it sounds like a tractor.

Got 2 videos of my car at the moment.

1st video shows exhaust idle and second part of same video shows my engine revving between 2-3k rpm and makes a really loud tappety noise, but notice above 3k it disapears.

http://www.willay.net/pauljissex/ExhaustEngine.mp4

2nd vid is just general poor idle.

http://www.willay.net/pauljissex/Dash.mp4

Getting remapped soon, just wanna make sure that tappety noise it makes between 2-3k rpm is ok to drive on.

Paul J

Shout out to the willaaaay for the hosting.
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeh - also the video's are in quicktime / real player format.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sure you have the timing right? sounds like it could be pre igition pinking
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
you sure you have the timing right? sounds like it could be pre igition pinking

no idea - I think he just locked the pulleys, removed the cams and slotted these ones in where old ones came out on the notch? so quite simply no I don't.

whats pre-ignition pinking then? opening inlet when igniting or something?

oooh this actually may be a key? I just remembered that I could hear a wooshing noise through my air filter, louder that normal sucking when it made tractor noises (between 2-3k rpm) you think at this rpm its blow out the induction kit a bit?
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deffo sounds like timing, pre ignition pinking is where the timing is set too far forward, i dont think the 106gti has a knock sensor to automatically pull it back, but i may be wrong on this

deffo sounds like a timing issue to me
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id agree with steve, bad timing will make it cut out and idle like a twat, but when the revs open up it can run okish! could be one tooth out...
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
id agree with steve, bad timing will make it cut out and idle like a twat, but when the revs open up it can run okish! could be one tooth out...

that sounds pretty like what its like at the mo - did you watch the vids or just guess this?

will it be ok to drive about like this (I.e. drive up to jamsport?) - when I get to jamsport I'm guessing they'll adjust this timing when they remap it?
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically "pinking" is when the fuel dets in the chamber before the pistons is at the correct position etc..... you get a tinny noise, dont drive the car really till its sorted!

if you can get away with it wait till you get it up here and get jamie or wayne to look at it next monday! can you get rac cover to tow it up?
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with steve
poor idle seems like timing is out, and the 'tappety' noise could be pinking

get the timing checked
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they can adjust the timing to a certain degree with the remap, but if its too far out they will have to physically adjust the belt
broster
Premium Member

is it running verniers? if not changing the cam timing will possible be a little extra charge...... the ignition timing will be adjusted tho
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ no - well they come with kinda standard verniers that allow adjustment a bit. I know nick s and keir both said about wayne changing the timing a little.

already done 32 miles on it as it is.

it doesnt make that noise throughout the rev range - only around 2.5k-3k rpm. driving at 4k will be ok won't it?

whats gonna happen

[Edited on 30-04-2006 by Paul_J]
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get it down to your local garage and get them to wack a timing strobe on it.....
jr

30th Apr 06 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with broster and steve and rob

really wouldnt suggest driving the car till you can get it looked at
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
i agree with broster and steve and rob

the 3 muskateers

but my name wasnt included in the title im all sad
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, get it booked in on tuesday (unless you know anyone who can do it tomorrow) and get it checked over
broster
Premium Member

mine developed a pinking issue under load at 2k, i drove it about that for a while but not for long, its not recommended, not such an isses on non turbos as it is on turbos mind.....

if you let it get to far you could end up with the need for new pistons, pinking chews the edges away
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about when it doesn't make that tinny noise? like if I drive it but not in the rev range it makes that noise 2.5k-3krpm? above or below that rev range it makes no tapping noise at all.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love the way with VAGCOM you can see all the CF values (correctional factors) you can easily see when iv set the timing to high if the CF's go above 4

nothing like this for the pug thou
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you cant hear the pinking then its not doing damage........... but id recommend not driving it to much like that lol!
Steve
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if something breaks, sue broster
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pmsl, notice my recommendation on that tho, id sue who ever fitted the cams for not doing any follow up work on the car!
Paul_J

30th Apr 06 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats a timing strobe? how much will it cost to get my timing checked at a garage? what do I walk in and ask for?
Robin
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

timing strobe is a flashing strobe light which flashes at the timing mark on the pullies to see if they are correctly lined up
broster
Premium Member

30th Apr 06 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

walk in say can you check my cam timing with a timing strobe, heres £10 for your time!

if they say no try another garage, or sit and beg.

basically a timing stobe clips to a ht lead and flashs when the car sparks, this is pointed at the bottom pulley and it should flash up and show a little mark on the bottom pulley

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clever car people - broster / rob / etc 22 database queries in 0.1082890 seconds