corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with motorcycles

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO people with motorcycles
R Lee

User status: Offline
   15th Jan 04 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello peeps, after thinking about it for a while i have decided to get myself a bike.

a few questions i would like to ask:

1) where do i start?
2) what licenses etc.
3) how much for a decent bike
4) how much is insurance (im 21)

im sure there'll be more questions along the way, but if you can just help me one the above first

Richard
Ditch

15th Jan 04 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get your CBT, jump on an Aprillia RS125, and

pick up a fairly new, good conditioned bike for about 2,500-3000

this will be more than enough for your first bike and does 0-60 alot quicker than most cars will!! (not sure on 0-100)

then when your confident go for the full bike licence and jump on one of the big bad bikes
R Lee

15th Jan 04 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can i do a full license jobby aswell as CBT all in one go? fair enough the aprillia's are quite nippy lil bugger's, but i dont want the image of a tit razzing around. i want a real "crotch rocket"
Keeley

15th Jan 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love bikes well going on the back of my boyfriends hes got a VFR400

The ZXR400's r pretty smart a grey/black one

Good luck with the test if you choose to go ahead with it

Heres my bf's VFR400 resprayed in repsol colours:-

[Edited on 15-01-2004 by Miss CorsaSri]
Ditch

15th Jan 04 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you would only get the image of a tit racing around if you..... ermm..

raced around like a tit on it??

Out on the dual carriageways I guarantee 0-60 in 7seconds will feel like a rocket ship if you never owned a proper bike mate! It feels ten times quicker than any car which is that fast trust me!

Get to know the way of things first is what ive been told, its a whole different ball game to driving a car and fcukin dangerous too on 1000+cc's of R1 or something

just some sound advice which I was given from an old biker i know!

And yes at 21 i think you can do full licence all in one go, i think you just take your CBT and then full jobbie over a two day course of something

Your best bet is to ring up the test place and ask them how you go about getting your full licence mate as im not 100% on that one
robtj

15th Jan 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am 19 got a aprilia rs125 had it de-reged and it does 132mph confermed by a R6 rider.. 0-60 is ment to be below 4 secs and trust me they are pocket rockets, i am selling mine soon 8k miles i am just doing a compleate 1 off faring make over atm and get it respraying in a official aprilia racing colours
Keeley

15th Jan 04 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by robtj
i am 19 got a aprilia rs125 had it de-reged and it does 132mph confermed by a R6 rider.. 0-60 is ment to be below 4 secs and trust me they are pocket rockets, i am selling mine soon 8k miles i am just doing a compleate 1 off faring make over atm and get it respraying in a official aprilia racing colours

get some piccies up when its finished
Ditch

15th Jan 04 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate i cant believe even a de-restricted 125 will do sub 4 seconds to 60mph
Tom

15th Jan 04 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4 secs
Half Pint

15th Jan 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want a ZXR 400 L9, that's my goal for this year!
yzf-r6 (stella Man)

15th Jan 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do your cbt on a 125 then theory test, then 2 or 3 days training depending on how confident you are on a 550 usually then test. Then you can ride any bike. Would reccomend a 400cc bike for a start, still got 140mph top speed but teaches you loads about cornering, i uded to go out with a load of mates who all had 600 750 and 1000 and kept up on me 400 because i was flatout everywhere! then after a year or 2 get a 600! i got an r6 and dont fell like you need anything faster than a 600. i can get 170+ down the a5 near me so why do ineed a bigger bike!?!? im also 21 and insurance on my 600 is £390 tpft but i have 4 years no clains and 4 years experience on 400cc + bikes. Hope this helps.
Ditch

15th Jan 04 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how quick is an RS125 to 60 matey?
yzf-r6 (stella Man)

15th Jan 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
how quick is an RS125 to 60 matey?

i think it would be more like sub 6 or 7 secconds, as it take my r6 3.3 secconds on a perfect launch, 6 or 7 secconds is still quick though!
Ditch

15th Jan 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers, i thought it was 7seconds dead if you get good launch so not far out
R Lee

15th Jan 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all the great info peeps! definately going to do it.

i think ill do the 125 route then, then maybe step up to sommat bigger afterwards.

does anyone know the cost of:
1) learning
2) test
3) average price of bike
4) insurance for 21 year old

thanks,
Richard
Paul_J

15th Jan 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh 0-60 on a derestricted Rs is just under 7 seconds - so about 6.8 secs. Unrestricted they have 34 bhp which isn't bad for a bike only weighing 129kg ... People who I know with them agree top speed is around 110mph

You can get it faster to 60 by changing the sprocket sizes and thus the gearing, but if you get the 0-60 quicker, you'll lose top end and if you make it so you have a longer top end speed you'll have a slower 0-60. So sub 4 secs and 132mph I don't think so.

Still very nippy!

The beauty with the 125 route is unlike driving a car, you can just do a single day CBT (which is like £60) and no one ever fails and then you can ride it with L plates - no need for an official test to be blasting around the roads.

The Actual Test, is a bit more trickier - especially if they think your going to do it to ride some nice fast bike as your first bike - as they don't want people jumping straight onto things they can't handle and killing themselves.

You can pick up a decent 2nd hand 125 RS for 1.5k -> 3.5k depends what your looking for.

If I was in your shoes though and since you said you didn't want to look like you were on some piddling little moped (which the RS isn't) - I'd maybe get myself a Cagiva Mito 125

Basically the same frame, same sorta engine, same power and same performance specs - the only thing thats different is the way it looks - and imo it looks bloody nice.

Also, there is an advantage of a 125 - its much much lighter than the bigger bikes, so the handling is far better - You should be able to keep up with some bigger CC bikes just for the fact you can keep on the power round the corners and don't need to slow as much - although they will probably beat you off the lights.

Also insurance won't be so bad on a 125, don't forget NCB for car does not count as NCB for bike insurance - so your back to square one - probably be a good idea to get a years NCB and then try a bigger bike as insurance will be high on a ducati 996 or GSX 1000

Paul J
vibrio
Banned

15th Jan 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be getting a bike not some gay scooter to get me to the labs if I get the PhD.
R Lee

15th Jan 04 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that cagiva looks pretty nice

fantastic help from all.
will go see about getting CBT done.

Thanks,
Richard
AndyCorsa

15th Jan 04 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh do it mate
I did my Theory test first though to get it out the way then did my CBT and then Direct Access. Then went stright for a CBR 400 and got knocked off the bloody thing
Paul_J

15th Jan 04 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need to do a theory test if you have a full UK license
somouk

15th Jan 04 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ride motocross and believe me you wont wan any bigger than a 400 for a first real bike. Learn how to ride first i'm made up of pins and bars because i fell off more times than most!

Good Luck!
Ojc

15th Jan 04 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul PGTF with the Cagiva its a pile of wank with 7 gears and an engine made out of choclate. Absolute toilet. It feels like a childs toy bike compared with the RS125.

RS125 will never do 132mph or a sub 4 second to 60 no matter what you do to it (Other than fitting a 175 and splashing a hell of a lot of money on it).

RS250 on the other hand can do both 0-60 in sub 4 seconds and just over 130mph as standard.

Please I beg non of you argue I have riden all of them and now all you need to know about them.
robtj

15th Jan 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if anyone wants to challange me on my rs when its finished u are quite welcome
yzf-r6 (stella Man)

15th Jan 04 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agree with all you say Ojc but think he would be better off getting a 400. rs125 and mito's are too fragile imo. rs250's rock though! oh and paul J i think you do need to do a seperate theory test to go from a car to a bike, they changed it recentley i think, sure my mates misses had to.
CaptainCook

15th Jan 04 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I learnt to ride on a VFR 400, if your serious about getting a bike dont waste your time and money with a 125, Ok on paper they are quite quick but you will soon get bored of it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO people with motorcycles 22 database queries in 0.0991011 seconds