corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Used car market after COVID-19
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Mar 20 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was thinking about this the other day as I was kind of browsing the car market prior to all of this considering a change of car.
With alot of financial uncertainly and alot of the newer cars been on finance deals or simular could it become a buyers market after things start returning to normal?
I feel it could go either way with nothing coming up for sale due to people keeping what they have and looking after the pennies. Or there will be an influx of cars that people can no longer justify etc.
Could be an interesting discussion point.

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
29th Mar 20 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buyer's market but there will also be winners, lots of government aid etc. and investment. Was watching a YT video yesterday about how after every pandemic there is prosperity afterwards because there's more of an effort to rebuild and people who get in on the back of that do well.

Interesting thing for me was that stuff doesn't look that cheap now, I was expecting loads of eBay auctions finishing for no money at all but its not that full.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/landrover-freelander-td4/133368394832

That said, entire Freelander for 63 quid ends in a hour. That's either going up or someone is robbing that and leaving 63 quid

[Edited on 29-03-2020 by Ian]
SetH

30th Mar 20 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought an Audi S4 a week before the world went to shit. Was very difficult negotiating with the dealer, I expect If I had waited a few weeks they would surely be desperate for a sale, except I would not have been able to go out and buy it

I would expect there will be a lot of opportunities for buyers, the economic fall out of this is not to be underestimated. Pretty much everyone on here will remember what 2008 was like, I was made redundant and iy took 18 Months to get back into work. My Industry was dead (IT Contracting). One of the first things to go will be performance/luxury cars as people struggle to make ends meet.

[Edited on 30-03-2020 by SetH]
Ian
Site Administrator

31st Mar 20 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember there was a thread on PH, think I quoted bits of it, there was a Range Rover Sport went through which at the time was only three years old but it was no money at all. Like enough I could have bought it there and then with whatever credit cards I had on the desk but I was too scared about losing my job as per the media doom and gloom. When in fact education came through that one relatively unscathed.
gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Apr 20 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was bored on my lunch break today so had a browse on eBay and trader. Not alot of cheap stuff I could see. People are probably sitting tight at present.
For the people with finance cars etc will there be any bailout for them. Payment freezing etc.
I have always been a cash buys for my cars but can think of a good few people I know who spend a good chunk of their monthly income on car payments. A few are in struggling areas of industry now too...

[Edited on 01-04-2020 by gavin18787]

gavin18787
Premium Member

1st Apr 20 at 13:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS Ian did you get the freelander

Colin

1st Apr 20 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly not with the worlds car manufacturing shutdown and turned into a ventilator / hand sanitiser plant.

Supply / demand shouldn’t reciprocate the 2008 financial crash if it’s a sharp rebound as is hoped.

This said, BCA currently doing by now only style auction.

I’ll take a half price 991 GTS plz.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Apr 20 at 04:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
PS Ian did you get the freelander
No 160 something in the end, still very cheap but hour's drive and I can't tow it so it would need two in the car up there etc., not possible. It was more something to watch to see what the market was doing.

Also watched a CLK as we got one a few months ago, gave 1400 for it and one went through this morning at 1100 so definitely some depression just now. Although some also doing more money in similar condition and miles.

Suppose it depends where you are, whether its worth paying to have it transported which is still possible as they are allowed to work.
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Apr 20 at 04:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I’ll take a half price 991 GTS plz.

You'll only need a director whose been salaried using dividends or taking home more than 50k with a premises rated at over 15k and they're getting zero off the government, be a few success stories feeling the pinch because they were doing too well to get help.
SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I have always been a cash buys for my cars but can think of a good few people I know who spend a good chunk of their monthly income on car payments. A few are in struggling areas of industry now too...

Yes, landscape has changed over the last 5 years. When I was 21 I had a 1.4 Corsa Sport, there are many guys in their young twenties at my gym driving leased high end beemers and mercs, some in ///M cars, god knows how they pay the insurance but i digress. These huge monthlies are fine until there is a sudden recession and then boom your job has gone and you spend several months out of work.

3 Months after leasing my M4 Competition Pack I was made redundant as I was working on a huge banking programme for RBS and the brexit referendum killed it overnight. held onto the car for 9 months whilst out of work, the monthlies were crippling but at the time or working were like 10% of my take home. Still it's put me off doing it again and I am in an S4 now which is a few years old but fully paid for.

I'd expect my gym car park to look very different in 6 months if the economy does not have a V correction.
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it all hits the floor it can be looked upon in different ways:

1)The next car becomes sooner and easier attainable as it’s now more affordable - exchanging upward is now feasible while a few months back wasn’t.
Or
2) Hold onto it until it’s worth selling again.
Or
3) Take the werobanycar offer and leave clenching your ass!

[Edited on 03-04-2020 by Colin]
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I recall during the 2008 financial crash a Porsche 911 Turbo for sale for 50k when they were only a few years old!

Absolutely marvellous if in a position to buy!
SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I recall during the 2008 financial crash a Porsche 911 Turbo for sale for 50k when they were only a few years old!

Absolutely marvellous if in a position to buy!

Yes, 100% best time to buy a sports car/super car.

Do you still work in the Oil Industry? I saw crude dipped below $20 a barrel this week. Have a mate that work's offshore and he is pretty worried about the future, its usually the oil industry that goes first which starts the dominoes. Really hope we get that V bounce with the economy but imho people should be preparing for the worst.
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunately I bought mine end of last year

Yeah i do, it’s caught us completely off guard, this year has big purse strings pledged to now unattractive work fronts which isn’t good. I’m busier as a consequence. Quite a lot of our staff are high risk and can’t come out. I just wonder how long it’s going to last!
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trump tweeting about talking to the Saudi crown prince yesterday managed to rally the price 25% so just need some more of that.

Meanwhile enjoy the cheap fuel.
SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Trump tweeting about talking to the Saudi crown prince yesterday managed to rally the price 25% so just need some more of that.

Meanwhile enjoy the cheap fuel.

I wondered what caused that Rally!

was watching some analysts yesterday, they believe the markets will test the bottom again, probably not set lower lows but historically its the norm to retest a bottom before a reversal.
gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Apr 20 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
quote:

Yes, landscape has changed over the last 5 years. When I was 21 I had a 1.4 Corsa Sport, there are many guys in their young twenties at my gym driving leased high end beemers and mercs, some in ///M cars, god knows how they pay the insurance but i digress. These huge monthlies are fine until there is a sudden recession and then boom your job has gone and you spend several months out of work.

3 Months after leasing my M4 Competition Pack I was made redundant as I was working on a huge banking programme for RBS and the brexit referendum killed it overnight. held onto the car for 9 months whilst out of work, the monthlies were crippling but at the time or working were like 10% of my take home. Still it's put me off doing it again and I am in an S4 now which is a few years old but fully paid for.

I'd expect my gym car park to look very different in 6 months if the economy does not have a V correction.

What did you think of the M4?
M4, M2 or an f type were on my consideration for a new motor before all of this happened.

Also have fuel prices fallen? I haven't really been paying attention as I don't drive to work and the car hasn't left the drive in weeks

Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought he’d nuked Iran when it shot up

Yeah it will likely bottom again now that consumerism is dead.

I’ve made a bit buying and selling oil shares last week, defo more to come.
SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

What did you think of the M4?
M4, M2 or an f type were on my consideration for a new motor before all of this happened.

My thoughts on the M4 are mixed, If I am honest I never really gelled with it.

1) A proper chassis, could feel everything it was doing (with the exception of the usual electric steering lack of feel), very easy to get it sideways. I could really feel that rear differential doing its work and its night and day to an M lite car in this respect having driven an M135 and comparing to various 330/335.

2) Scalpel sharp front end, could place it exactly where I wanted. Again you don't get this in an M-lite.

3) I had it in silverstone II and loved how aggressive it looked yet maintained an aura of beauty.

4) lovely interior, I loved the analogue dials, the ergonomics, the seats were just awesome. Much better interior than my friends 5 series with the silly digital dash.

5) It felt very light on its feet and very agile for what is not a small car by any means. Night and day from my friends RS5.

6) Was my first ///M Car, as never had the courage to buy a used one so it had to be new with warranty so it was quite a special moment for me.

7) blistering mid-range torque if you can get the power to the road. Would have preferred a more peaky engine though, a sign of the times manufacturers dropping high revving N/A.

dislikes

1) not a great driving position, limited visibility. The razor sharp front end hampered a little by these limitations. definitely a car at risk of constant wheel kerbing as its hard to be spatially aware in this car.

2) Too big for UK B roads, as Chris Harris said the M2 is the perfect size.

3) They do not sound great at all. sure the pops and bangs are entertaining although fairly sedate by some standards overall the engine/exhaust note is nasty.

4) Very rare you will get all the power down to the road. I was running MPSS tyres (factory default), once you got some heat in them it was much better. However for 75% of the year its not a great UK car. My friend had a non CP M4 and the only time he really got to enjoy it was a trip to Le-Mans.

5) That torque curve, does not suit this type of car tbh. It makes so much of its torque low down and comes in so quickly causing traction issues and can easily upset the car. I totally understand the 'low torque' maps that people are using with JB4's.

6) 90% of people (including me) don't have the talent to drive it anywhere near its potential. Any sorted Golf R or RS3 will show you the way home on UK roads. I expect they are superb on track though, especially with ceramics.

7) Not really the best daily driver when you compare it to quattro Audi offerings, not special enough to be a toy. You see a lot of long term reviews on the tube looking back on how its not ///M divisions finest moment for a reason.

the M2 competition though is intriguing.

The new 4WD M3/M4 will probably be a serious weapon.

I'd love an E46 M3 CS
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Polo is for sale and I've had over 50 messages about it on FB market place but obviously I can't sell it yet.. Rather frustrating.

I also bagged myself a little bargain as this all started kicking off:

[Edited on 03-04-2020 by DaveyLC]
Colin

3rd Apr 20 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

echo the too big for uk roads.

I’ve tested M4 and golf r back to back along my favourite ‘techy’ b road and point to point the golf was was much more sure footed and more ‘fun’.

That was std car vs std car.

The bigger bmw was wallowing about in the road. Ebs flickering constantly, It is quite a tricky road in fairness but the m4 seemed like a elephant trying to be a ballerina compared to the nimble golf which apart from horrendous brake fade, was built for it.

I was gobsmacked and both me (golf owner) and mate (m4 owner) agreed what was more capable on those roads and took the m4 back so we could take the golf round again.

[Edited on 03-04-2020 by Colin]
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I'd love an E46 M3 CS

Its all about the M2 competition. Basically an evolved E46 M3

SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
My Polo is for sale and I've had over 50 messages about it on FB market place but obviously I can't sell it yet.. Rather frustrating.

Fit some mad max type armour, spikes and shit to that Merc be the perfect end of the world car!
DaveyLC

3rd Apr 20 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Fit some mad max type armour, spikes and shit to that Merc be the perfect end of the world car!

That's a disco parked in front, that would make a much better zombie smasher
SetH

3rd Apr 20 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I'd love an E46 M3 CS

Its all about the M2 competition. Basically an evolved E46 M3

I'd love to test drive one, minus salesman of course. These cars only show you their talents approaching the limits. a chug around town and a little pull up to 70mph on a dual carriage way is a waste of time. I can kind of visualise how it will be better than the M4 CP, certainly on the roads around here.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Used car market after COVID-19 23 database queries in 0.1720140 seconds