corsasport.co.uk
 

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus


New Topic

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.


Author Any computer g33k / gurus
Jamie
Member

Registered: 1st Apr 02
Location: Aberdeen
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going on to do my HND


Choice is either Technical Support or Software Development....


Lectures tell you feck all
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technical support




































James
Member

Registered: 1st Jun 02
Location: Surrey
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

software development will be writing code all day long, good money though.

technical support will be providing support to people that have problems with their computer etc..
Dom
Member

Registered: 13th Sep 03
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

software dev mate, more money, can be geeky'er and you end up with working with some right sad cunts, but theres alot of money in it - alot more than being a tech monkey
James
Member

Registered: 1st Jun 02
Location: Surrey
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

software development can be hard and frustrating at times tho
Dom
Member

Registered: 13th Sep 03
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

software development can be hard and frustrating at times tho


course tech support is crap, hence why you get paid peanuts and treated like monkeys - plus you have to listen to some dumb bastard at the end of the phone going on about how they used the cdtray as a cup holder or how to switch a pc on etc etc
It gets very boring after a few weeks and it starts to become a drag.

Atleast with software dev you can work in a few different areas and your on different projects every other month etc And, you get better paid - especially if you contract out in the london area, you can be on mega money
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah do software dev, then you can be one of them students who thinks he can code just about anything in java.
Corsa E-Tec
Member

Registered: 4th Feb 04
Location: Stevenage Drives: Leon Cupra
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tech support is not too bad, depend which end of the stick your at.

i travel between 2 sites, hardly use the phone, fix peeps computers, always learning more, backing up servers, meet lots of women and build computers.

well i quite like my techy role, but i wont be here forever!
Gsi_Ire
Member

Registered: 9th Aug 04
Location: Republic of Ireland
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tech support is only good if dont mind talking to monkeys who dont know damn all bout pc's.

or the worse kind, those who think they do!!!
Nismo
Member

Registered: 12th Sep 02
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tech Support gets better once you get further up the ladder.

TNM
Member

Registered: 5th Apr 04
Location: Nottingham Drives: VW Tiguan
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by James
technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

software development can be hard and frustrating at times tho


course tech support is crap, hence why you get paid peanuts and treated like monkeys - plus you have to listen to some dumb bastard at the end of the phone going on about how they used the cdtray as a cup holder or how to switch a pc on etc etc
It gets very boring after a few weeks and it starts to become a drag.

Atleast with software dev you can work in a few different areas and your on different projects every other month etc And, you get better paid - especially if you contract out in the london area, you can be on mega money


The bottom fell out of the contractor market for dev about 5 years and 3 months ago.
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I think its all about what suits you.

If you do Software development you arent going to come out of your HND and then into some buff job unless you like programming and are good at it.

From previous posts J-Me I woukld hazzard a guess and say you don't enjoy it, I'm sure I've seen posts of you wanting people to do your Dephi work.

Tech support isnt going to mean you will be stuck in some shitty desk+phone job either, tech support will show you different methods of problem solving when it comes to the computer, such as using the OSI model and stuff.
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not done the HND but I have done a few terms of classes on 'Software dev' and 'Technical Support'.
Nismo
Member

Registered: 12th Sep 02
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Tech support isnt allways talking to ejeds on a phone, i work in tech support and im never on the phone?

when i am on the phone i deal with clever people that know what there doing.
Dom
Member

Registered: 13th Sep 03
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by James
technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

software development can be hard and frustrating at times tho


course tech support is crap, hence why you get paid peanuts and treated like monkeys - plus you have to listen to some dumb bastard at the end of the phone going on about how they used the cdtray as a cup holder or how to switch a pc on etc etc
It gets very boring after a few weeks and it starts to become a drag.

Atleast with software dev you can work in a few different areas and your on different projects every other month etc And, you get better paid - especially if you contract out in the london area, you can be on mega money


The bottom fell out of the contractor market for dev about 5 years and 3 months ago.


yea, i thought it was still going strong - even though there are lots of people doing it etc?

still software dev is alot better than tech support, but i suppose like E-Tec has said, it depends what area your going in. If its gonna be technical support for an ISP/PC company etc then your more than likely to be sitting in front of a system all day answering calls with people shouting ever swear word under the sun amd blaming you that they were on hold for 20minutes - thank fuck i only did it as a summer job though
TNM
Member

Registered: 5th Apr 04
Location: Nottingham Drives: VW Tiguan
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im technical support. i deal with people all over the world every day. some times i sit in my office all day and nothing happens. other days i run around like a headless chicken. I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sad fact: anyone can do tech support for ISPs and stuff, they make a system so any tom dick or pugnut can follow a system of steps which will solve 90% of their calls.
TNM
Member

Registered: 5th Apr 04
Location: Nottingham Drives: VW Tiguan
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom: 5 years ago you could tell them what you hourly rate was now they pay about a third more than normal staff and thats it!
James
Member

Registered: 1st Jun 02
Location: Surrey
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london


You got any jobs going?
willay
Moderator
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member


Avatar

Registered: 10th Nov 02
Location: Roydon, Essex
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
im technical support. i deal with people all over the world every day. some times i sit in my office all day and nothing happens. other days i run around like a headless chicken. I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london


Part of my job involes support, but we do top level network support which means when stuff gets really messy just like TNM, some days I might be writing proper techy work and get the odd phone call, where as other days half of London has lost connectivity and people are shouting their heads off
Recaro1
Member

Registered: 25th Mar 02
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate does Software development. Sounds much better then tech support.

Though I asked him how his day was once, said he'd spent 5 hours looking at lines of codes as 1 thing was wrong with the program.

It is a bit of geek thing though, in his spare time he writes programs for things such as online gaming, etc.
TNM
Member

Registered: 5th Apr 04
Location: Nottingham Drives: VW Tiguan
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by TNM
I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london


You got any jobs going?


No Hull was well nice honest.
Dom
Member

Registered: 13th Sep 03
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
sad fact: anyone can do tech support for ISPs and stuff, they make a system so any tom dick or pugnut can follow a system of steps which will solve 90% of their calls.


aye, this is usually the case - but where i was, we had to do training and all sorts - and the only stuff we had on the system was a few tools too look up accounts from the database. Rest of it had to come from knowledge, internet etc etc
Mark Petty
Member

Registered: 26th Jul 01
Location: Bournemouth Drives: Suzuki gsf600
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have done a HND in Software development, it was a piss of piss. Was quite boring though
Half Pint
Member

Registered: 25th Mar 02
User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go on the job seekers allowance for the rest of you shitty life and be happy with dossing all day !

  <<  1    2  >>
New Topic

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus 22 database queries in 0.0166168 seconds