corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any computer g33k / gurus
Jamie

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 05 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going on to do my HND

Choice is either Technical Support or Software Development....

Lectures tell you feck all
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 13:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technical support

James

23rd Mar 05 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

software development will be writing code all day long, good money though.

technical support will be providing support to people that have problems with their computer etc..
Dom

23rd Mar 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

software dev mate, more money, can be geeky'er and you end up with working with some right sad cunts, but theres alot of money in it - alot more than being a tech monkey
James

23rd Mar 05 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

software development can be hard and frustrating at times tho
Dom

23rd Mar 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
technical support will be easier but to be honest its a bit crap, as willay said.

course tech support is crap, hence why you get paid peanuts and treated like monkeys - plus you have to listen to some dumb bastard at the end of the phone going on about how they used the cdtray as a cup holder or how to switch a pc on etc etc
It gets very boring after a few weeks and it starts to become a drag.

Atleast with software dev you can work in a few different areas and your on different projects every other month etc And, you get better paid - especially if you contract out in the london area, you can be on mega money
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah do software dev, then you can be one of them students who thinks he can code just about anything in java.
Corsa E-Tec

23rd Mar 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tech support is not too bad, depend which end of the stick your at.

i travel between 2 sites, hardly use the phone, fix peeps computers, always learning more, backing up servers, meet lots of women and build computers.

well i quite like my techy role, but i wont be here forever!
Gsi_Ire

23rd Mar 05 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tech support is only good if dont mind talking to monkeys who dont know damn all bout pc's.

or the worse kind, those who think they do!!!
Nismo

23rd Mar 05 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tech Support gets better once you get further up the ladder.

TNM

23rd Mar 05 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

course tech support is crap, hence why you get paid peanuts and treated like monkeys - plus you have to listen to some dumb bastard at the end of the phone going on about how they used the cdtray as a cup holder or how to switch a pc on etc etc

Atleast with software dev you can work in a few different areas and your on different projects every other month etc And, you get better paid - especially if you contract out in the london area, you can be on mega money

The bottom fell out of the contractor market for dev about 5 years and 3 months ago.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 16:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I think its all about what suits you.

If you do Software development you arent going to come out of your HND and then into some buff job unless you like programming and are good at it.

From previous posts J-Me I woukld hazzard a guess and say you don't enjoy it, I'm sure I've seen posts of you wanting people to do your Dephi work.

Tech support isnt going to mean you will be stuck in some shitty desk+phone job either, tech support will show you different methods of problem solving when it comes to the computer, such as using the OSI model and stuff.
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not done the HND but I have done a few terms of classes on 'Software dev' and 'Technical Support'.
Nismo

23rd Mar 05 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Tech support isnt allways talking to ejeds on a phone, i work in tech support and im never on the phone?

when i am on the phone i deal with clever people that know what there doing.
Dom

23rd Mar 05 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

The bottom fell out of the contractor market for dev about 5 years and 3 months ago.

yea, i thought it was still going strong - even though there are lots of people doing it etc?

still software dev is alot better than tech support, but i suppose like E-Tec has said, it depends what area your going in. If its gonna be technical support for an ISP/PC company etc then your more than likely to be sitting in front of a system all day answering calls with people shouting ever swear word under the sun amd blaming you that they were on hold for 20minutes - thank fuck i only did it as a summer job though
TNM

23rd Mar 05 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im technical support. i deal with people all over the world every day. some times i sit in my office all day and nothing happens. other days i run around like a headless chicken. I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 16:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sad fact: anyone can do tech support for ISPs and stuff, they make a system so any tom dick or pugnut can follow a system of steps which will solve 90% of their calls.
TNM

23rd Mar 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom: 5 years ago you could tell them what you hourly rate was now they pay about a third more than normal staff and thats it!
James

23rd Mar 05 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london

You got any jobs going?
willay
Premium Member

23rd Mar 05 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
im technical support. i deal with people all over the world every day. some times i sit in my office all day and nothing happens. other days i run around like a headless chicken. I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london

Part of my job involes support, but we do top level network support which means when stuff gets really messy just like TNM, some days I might be writing proper techy work and get the odd phone call, where as other days half of London has lost connectivity and people are shouting their heads off
Recaro1

23rd Mar 05 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate does Software development. Sounds much better then tech support.

Though I asked him how his day was once, said he'd spent 5 hours looking at lines of codes as 1 thing was wrong with the program.

It is a bit of geek thing though, in his spare time he writes programs for things such as online gaming, etc.
TNM

23rd Mar 05 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TNM
I also get to go to places like hull and norwich and london

You got any jobs going?

No Hull was well nice honest.
Dom

quote:
Originally posted by willay
sad fact: anyone can do tech support for ISPs and stuff, they make a system so any tom dick or pugnut can follow a system of steps which will solve 90% of their calls.

aye, this is usually the case - but where i was, we had to do training and all sorts - and the only stuff we had on the system was a few tools too look up accounts from the database. Rest of it had to come from knowledge, internet etc etc
Mark Petty

I have done a HND in Software development, it was a piss of piss. Was quite boring though
Half Pint

23rd Mar 05 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go on the job seekers allowance for the rest of you shitty life and be happy with dossing all day !

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Any computer g33k / gurus 22 database queries in 0.1630499 seconds