corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ICE, someone explain to me...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ICE, someone explain to me...
wassup2002

User status: Offline
27th Sep 03 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello, not been on here for ages.

Im doing lessons, i got a little fiesta 1100 xr2 lookalike, im saving for a corsa sri which im buying from a friend, all done up looks sweet.

I just dont undertsand how subs and amps work etc.

Im looking at getting a 15" sony x plod sub as i can get one fir a good price from a mate who works in a electrical shop.

I got some 240watt max pioneer 6x9s in it at the moment and a sony head unit, 4x50 rms i think or watts?

What amp do i need? i havent connected my 6x9s up yet. im just stuck, do you need one amp for the lot, like the sony x plod 1000 watt amp, would that do the lot or do i need two amps?

I havent got a clue when it comes to this sort of stuff, also, are they easy to wire up? +how have you lot attached the box for the sub to the floor of the boot?

sorry to be a pain

cheers
Richie

27th Sep 03 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wassup2002
hello, not been on here for ages.

Im doing lessons, i got a little fiesta 1100 xr2 lookalike, im saving for a corsa sri which im buying from a friend, all done up looks sweet.

I just dont undertsand how subs and amps work etc.

Im looking at getting a 15" sony x plod sub as i can get one fir a good price from a mate who works in a electrical shop.

Personally mate do not bother with Sony subs. They are absolute pants.

I got some 240watt max pioneer 6x9s in it at the moment and a sony head unit, 4x50 rms i think or watts?

Your headunit will only put out 4x50 watt max, the RMS value would be something like 4x27w RMS

What amp do i need? i havent connected my 6x9s up yet. im just stuck, do you need one amp for the lot, like the sony x plod 1000 watt amp, would that do the lot or do i need two amps?

Whatever sub you are going to get i suggest you get a monoblock amplifier to go with it. As a rule of the thumb always match the RMS of your sub to the amplifier, or exceed it (not by too much obviously). If you were going to hook up your 6x9's to an amp, you would need a 2 channel amp where each channel matches the RMS of the 6x9 speaker.

I havent got a clue when it comes to this sort of stuff, also, are they easy to wire up? +how have you lot attached the box for the sub to the floor of the boot?

Wiring is pretty straightforward for basic installations. I suggest you pick up the Max Power Fiesta book, or the Max Power ICE book. Great for beginners like yourself. My sub box is screwed down to a MDF false floor using right angled brackets due to its weight. For relatively light boxes, you can use ROK straps or alot of velcro

sorry to be a pain

cheers

[Edited on 27-09-2003 by AustinPXX]
Kris TD

27th Sep 03 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a sony xplod sub, basically it was rubbish, hardly anybass. my mates ifinity 6x9's produced more bass and thats no lie.
Savinforcorsaproject

27th Sep 03 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes sony are shit lol

i think AustinPXX said it better than any of us cud lol !
Kris TD

27th Sep 03 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also had a sony headunit and the amp fried, i also had sony 6x9's and the voice coils went. its all a load of gash, would never even dream bout sticking sony ice in my car ever again.
dannycorsa c

27th Sep 03 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if u dont no much about it get a vibe active sub box were the amp is already included great value for money sound good too

[Edited on 27-09-2003 by dannycorsa c]
Sparco

27th Sep 03 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got two Sony 12" pentagon subs and the black pentagon mono amp and for the price i paid it puts out alot of bass!! The kind where the rear wiper bounces off the window and u can feel the the bass going through your body each time it kicks. Even with just the one sub it was enough. Obviously this is from someone who ain't really bothered about all the technical shit. resonance frequencies, spl, etc. and wanted something to suit my needs and budget, Sony did that job and i also haven't had any problems with any of my equipment so quality of build hasn't been a problem either.

Sparco
wassup2002

27th Sep 03 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah ive seen sony x plod subs bein used, 12inch, and 2 15s , the 2 15s were pretty good. what are the best subs and amps going lately? and websites? rather buy online than halfords.

cheers
wassup2002

27th Sep 03 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looking around on some sites, found a JBL 15 inch sub Jbl GT4-15 , any good?
Also the 6x9s i have are Pioneer TSA6910 ones, are these good,they look pretty smart. any idea what amp would power that sub? should i get a mono amp for the sub and anothermono amp for 6x9s ad everythin else? or just a 2 way amp ?

also should i get some door speakers as i can get a nice pair of poineers 13cm same design as my 6x9s?
ill have to get those books u mentioned!
sory t o be a pest!

thanks
ANDY1.4

28th Sep 03 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agre sparco i got 2 12" sony pentagon subs and i have loads of bass was think bout getin another 1 or mayb 2.i have people moaning in the front that the ears hurt and they feel dizzy!
Sparco

28th Sep 03 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've had the same andy, i think alot of people are swayed by all the technical stuff that people who know what they are doing talk about, these people are bothered about spl and sq but for a majority of us, i include myself, we have a certain budget and sony does the job, i doubt i could tell the difference between an alpine type r subs bass note and a sony's one so buying the alpine would be a waste of money for me! If i can feel the bass and it goes in time with the music then it'll do me fine.

Sparco
Kris TD

28th Sep 03 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sparco
i doubt i could tell the difference between an alpine type r subs bass note and a sony's one so buying the alpine would be a waste of money for me! If i can feel the bass and it goes in time with the music then it'll do me fine.

Sparco

trust me, you could.
Sparco

28th Sep 03 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but how? surely they hit the same frequencies, push the same amount of air and basically sound the same? i know there's gotta be a difference cause otherwise there would be no point in there being so many types and makes but i just don't think that i could justify the price difference over something so minimal in my eyes.
wassup2002

28th Sep 03 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it best to have a seperate mono amp for the sub 12inc 1200 watt one. and another seperate amp for the 6x9s and 13cm door speakers, pioneer ones i got 6x9s are 350 watt and door ones are 150 watt, head unit is 4 x 50 watt. i dont understand all this rms and thd crap, all im thinking is i have a headunit capable of 200 watt and my 13cm speakers and 6x9s are capable of up to 500 watts of sound? therefore buy another amp to get the most from them? correct or am i getting confusedis there anything i need to look for to make sure i can use all of these bits with the headunit im gonna buy, like is there anythin u have to have on the back of the head unit? things like ISO connector, etc what are they and what do i need to have?how many preouts do i need?

cheers

ps sorry to keep editing it, what amp do you recommened for my sub?do i need to buy a 1200 watt minimum amp or larger? or what? im totally lost lol!!

[Edited on 28-09-2003 by wassup2002]

wassup2002

29th Sep 03 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

okay regarding my last post i dont think half of you know what the fuck im on about. anyway. Tell me if this setup would work and would it be any good?
Sub is a 1200 watt JBL one, cant find a link.

Heres the rest

Amp for the sub

6x9s

13cm speakers

Head Unit

[Edited on 29-09-2003 by wassup2002]

Dom

29th Sep 03 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 15" sony sub ive seen (the XSL151P5) has a peak of 1600w and a RMS of 400w. If this is the sub your looking at then you'll need a sub that will give out 400w RMS and the one you gave is 900w RMS. So basically get the one below that (HERE) as this produced 400w RMS...perfectly suited for your sub.

Get a 2 channel 80w RMS amp (HERE) for your 6x9's and run the 13cm's off your alpine head unit.

Have fun now dude
Dom

[Edited on 29-09-2003 by VisibleMan]

[Edited on 29-09-2003 by VisibleMan]
wassup2002

29th Sep 03 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers bruvs the sub im getting is a 12inch sony one 1200 watt now like his one -

12inch sony sub

Still the same amp for it?? its the same as the 15inch sony one but 12inch and 1200watt instead.

cheers

koolkorsa

29th Sep 03 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i like the cd player ur looking at. but u can get it cheaper elsewhere. I've seen it for 175 in the back of the car mags.
wassup2002

29th Sep 03 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea cheers. so this amp will work with with this sub ???

Someone told me that if you buy say a 1000 watt sub, you need a 1000 watt minimum amp or more? is that correct?

and the other 200 watt amp for the 6x9s is 200 watt when the 6x9s are 350 watt in total? am i understanding wrong or is that amp wattage too small for the 6x9s?

also what is a 'crossover' and do i need one? whatever it is

really confuses me all this watts rms and stuff

Dom

30th Sep 03 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you going for the 12"sub mate, the RATED WATTAGE (the one you look at! since its the continuous amount of power the sub can take not the peak amount) is 350w, so you will need an amp that can produce an RMS (contious amount of power) of 350watts. The amp i stated for you sub would produce 50w's too much, so you either look for an other amp that can produce this (make sure you look at the RMS wattage, not just the wattage since it would prolly be the peak amount) or you buy the sony one i stated and turn down the gains (although some one elses opinion on this would be good).

As for what someone told you, yes they are kinda correct, basically you try and match the RMS of the sub and amp, so if you have a sub that can handle 1000w RMS of power (not your sony, only 350w, but subs like diamonds etc) then you will need a amp that can produce a RMS wattage of 1000w - and this would cost ya alot more than a grand so.

The 6x9's RMS wattage is 80watts, NOT 350w !!!!! And the amp i stated produces 80watts RMS so its a perfect match

And a crossover bbasically takes one input and splits it to a number of outputs according to frequencies. Its useful when you have only one preout from your headunit and you want to seperate that for a number of amps...ie: you would set a frequency range on the crossover of 10hz-200hz for the sub and take that output to the amp powering the sub. Then you would set up another frequency range for the 6x9's etc. Google it mate lol

As for the headunit, ive seen it for 184 squid HERE , so have a look her before you buy !!! Have a look about abit for deals etc, otherwise you gonna spending 100's of quid on gear and then find that you could have saved alot of it if ya shopped around abit more.
However you system sounds like it will be mint, well for the price anyways, the headunit is top notch and the pioneers and pretty cool too....its just the sony stuff that will let ya system down personally. But then again it all depends how much ya got and willing to spend.
Have fun dude !
Dom
wassup2002

30th Sep 03 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats great mate. what other subs are good? how about those JBL 1000 watt ones? cant rememeber model number.

Thanks again
wassup2002

30th Sep 03 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol this gets worse. found out most of the bits of kit im going to buy and my mate turns around and says ' your worrying too much bout watts and RMS power, you need to adjust the ohms? and get the ohms and frequncies right otherwise ill fry an amp or blow up a sub?

Im think about just buying all my kit and taking it to halfords or somewhere and get someone to fit it for me, because i dont have a clue about wiring it either!

This what im gonna have:

Head Unit

Suband Amp

6x9sand13cm Door Speakers

Cheers

[Edited on 30-09-2003 by wassup2002]
Kris TD

30th Sep 03 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sparco
but how? surely they hit the same frequencies, push the same amount of air and basically sound the same? i know there's gotta be a difference cause otherwise there would be no point in there being so many types and makes but i just don't think that i could justify the price difference over something so minimal in my eyes.

the sonys are single voice coil, the alpines etc are dual voice coil, its basically 2 subs in one, and the magnets are a million times bigger. they wont push the same amount of air, the alpine etc.. will push a shit load more than eh sony one will.
Sparco

30th Sep 03 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chreers Kris, that all makes sense, cheers for explaining to me the differences. i'm happy at the end of the day with my sony stuff and it didn't cost me much either so i suppose thats all that matters at the end of the day.
essexandy

1st Oct 03 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have got a 15'' sony pentagon and it pumps out plenty of bass. it is running off a renegade 1500watt amp bridged to one channel.

I have more bass than any of my mates and the sub was only £80 and the amp £125.

BARGAIN BASS

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll