corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What head unit?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What head unit?
Dom

User status: Offline
15th Sep 03 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Howdies all,
Ive been looking for a new head unit for my corsa , to replace that piece O shite that came with it. The head units i was looking at where the JVC KDSH9101 @ 300 squid and the Pioneer DEHP7500MP @ 260 squid. I havnt been able to find any reviews on any of these so has anyone hear got anything to say about them before spending my dosh?
I would really like to go for the JVC since its got a nice alu face , but 300 squid is really pushing my budget, but if it scores big point then i might go for it
However, is it possible to go for something cheaper yet still have the same quality as the above head units (pref with MP3)?
And one last question, the higher the preouts (ie:4v-5v etc) the cleaner the signal? Would i notice a difference if the preouts where only 3v or 2v?
Cheers all
Dom
p.s - great site btw, loads of useful info for n00bs like me
Dom

15th Sep 03 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...no one then
But on the preout voltage, what should i be looking at? obviously the higher the better? is there much difference between them? eg: 3v and 5v?
Also, is there any advantage of having a seperate sub out? And if a head unit doesnt have one, is it best to have a crossover on the preout before running it to the sub's amp?
Cheers
Dom
Scotty_B

15th Sep 03 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I've got. Bit more expensive though.
Richie

15th Sep 03 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the model up from CorSRi, the 8500MP imported from America
Scotty_B

15th Sep 03 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the differences Austin? and can you receive British radio stations on an American unit?

[Edited on 15-09-2003 by CorSRi_BT]
Richie

15th Sep 03 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just general improvements all around, they discontinued the 8400mp in america and bought out the 8500mp. The 8500 has more graphics and some dodgy settings with the independant front and rear bass controls were sorted.

Cost me £300 shipped from the US and yes you can
Scotty_B

15th Sep 03 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one!
bubbleball

16th Sep 03 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Austin...did u have to pay custom tax for ur headunit and i heard that there is no RDS function so u have to keep tuning ur radio stations...is this true??
Richie

16th Sep 03 at 01:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it got through customs without any problems as the company i bought it from sent it privately and declared it as a gift.

The RDS function isnt true.
Dom

16th Sep 03 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

8400/8500 looks pretty fly but for 370 squid+, but yea its abit out of my price range Though if i had that sorta money, i would prolly go for an alpine/kenwood in-dash DVD player.....*drools*
Anyways, im just after a *fairly* cheap CD/Mp3 head unit that has decent pre's (still dont know what the difference is with higher voltages ), yet to find anything though Any ideas?
Cheers though, i think ebay will be my best bet, especially since theres a kenwood 9524 going for 200 squid...though im curious to know what car that was nicked from
M4tt

16th Sep 03 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it think the higher voltages offer a more cleaner and powerful signal to the amps.
Dom

16th Sep 03 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea thats what i thought too, would seem the most obvious reason for high preouts.
Well i was walking around halfords (their prices are w*nked ) and was looking at the sony M850. Looks very nice, at was only 270 squid...luckely me mum was with me and she liked the flashy display it had lol....maybe i can force her to allow me to get the JVC then (just hoping theres something flashy on the display, just to please her lol)
Cheers all
Dom

p.s - caraudiodirect.co.uk are pretty good for the prices, but anyone got any other websites i should have a butchers at before buying from them? ive checked out thezeb.com, but its in the states and i cant be asked with waiting months for an item and im might get taxed on top
CopyWrite

16th Sep 03 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i had 200 pound id get the JVC KD-SH99R-B from Car Audio Direct in the Special offers, this unit was cut from 279.99

Security: Detachable Facia
Power Output Per Channel: 50 W
Pre-amp Outputs: 3 sets
Pre-amp Output Voltage: 4 V
CD Changer Controls: Yes
Remote Control: Included
Internal EQ/Crossovers: Yes
Aux Input: Front & Rear
Illumination Colour: White
Facia Finish: Black

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=352&osCsid=93677e8e933fa0367821a4b81d568d49

[Edited on 16-09-2003 by CopyWrite]
Dom

16th Sep 03 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for spotting that out...never saw it lol cheers mate
ill check out a few reviews, but i might get me card out now and get one if its crap ill wack it on ebay and im sure ill get me money back
cheers dude, i owe ya a pint
Dom
CopyWrite

16th Sep 03 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no problem, it was suggested to me a while back accept i couldnt afford ova 160..cos im a poor cunt
anyway it looks like a top unit, if u get hold of it tell us all how it is.
Dom

16th Sep 03 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol mate, yea im not too hot on the old cash flow time for a part time job me thinks lol
However, me old mother doesnt like the jvc lol and she spotted the Sony M850 which has that motorised facia with the flashing graphics on the front but its only 70 squid more....but ive heard bad things about sony's
Anyways, cheers mate....ive looked at it and it looks pretty mutz nutz...nice and simple - how i like it And yea, if i do get it ill wack up a rewview or something
cheers again
Trotty

16th Sep 03 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alpine CDA-9812RB

£280 from Car Audio Direct

Plays mp3's, wma's, 4x60, motorised front, blah blah blah - it's Alpine! It's always gonna be good
Dom

16th Sep 03 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Trotty

Alpine CDA-9812RB

£280 from Car Audio Direct

Yea had a piss about on one in halfords, except that it cost about 500 squid instead of 280. Well me old mum said "it looks like a boring, simple one and i like the funky graphics"....im sure me mom is becoming a girl racer lol..... on second thoughts that could be quite worrying!
Yea i was thinking of alpine...if im spending 270 i might as well get an alpine, but they've change alot from about 5-8 years ago when me bro was looking at them for his *lovely* escourt lol What they like anyways?
Well im not gonna pull out me plastic yet and get one...might look around for a week or so, then decide then.
cheers all
Dom
mcfc2134

16th Sep 03 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got myself a Kenwood KDC-7024 for £140 - bargain. Got an alpine in at the moment but to be honest havent been that impressed. It sounds good with my JBL 6X9's, Kenwood Components and Lightning Audio Sub & Amp just wanted some better. Hopefully should be good, anyone got it?!
antonOO2

17th Sep 03 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pioneer HU all the way
si_reading

17th Sep 03 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antonOO2
pioneer HU all the way

Agree!

I got the Pioneer DEHP77MP was £299 from letsbuycaraudio.com. Very happy with it does mp3, wma and all that. Great sound through my front JL's and Infinity 6x9's.
Noonster

17th Sep 03 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree Pioneer are good, thats why I bought Pioneer..... plus they can be wired to your original Steering Wheel controls which is a added bonus......

Ive got the 7400MP3...... Nice bit of kit
CopyWrite

17th Sep 03 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell ur mom the flashy bright lights on the sony units can distract u when drive and specially in the dark as these things can light up like blackpool and it can cause accidents...ok that last bit is pushin it but u know.
if i was spendin 270 odd id go into the middle of the range alpine stuff, their stacked with features and u will be very impressed im sured.
pioneer and kenwood are also very good.
Dom

18th Sep 03 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CopyWrite
these things can light up like blackpool and it can cause accidents

HAHAHA mate
Well ive got a few that i like:

JVC KD-SH99R-B - doesnt look great, though simple, but its got 80 quid off at www.caraudiodirect , so it would have cost the same as the Alpine. Reviews seems to be pretty good on this too.

Pioneer DEHP77MP - looks smart and simple, nothing flashy and nothing to go wrong.

Pioneer DEHP7500MP - again looks the biz and has a nice graphics and what not and its not alot more than the 77MP.

Sony CDX-M850MP - one me mom likes Its cool and all, but i can see that motorised facia becoming a pain having to keep pulling it down when you want to change tracks (doesnt state that a remote comes with it ) Plus the facia is bound to go tits up a few months down the line.

Alpine CDA-9812RB - looks ok (ish), but from i have been reading the cheaper end Alpine HU's arnt all that (well not to their old standards) but they still manage to eat most of the other makes for breakfast and lunch.

And finally the JVC KDSH9101 - the orignal one i was after, has the alu facia and nothing to go tits up (unlike the sony). Though i havnt seen any reviews what so ever, so i dont know what it is like. Though what is JVC HU's like anyways? From what i have read, they seem alright, but are they up there with pioneer, kenwoods etc?

Personally i think the sony is rollox, most of their exploder stuff doesn't seem great and they should really stick to making TV's and crap hifi's (no offence to anyone that has one lol). The 7500MP is only a little more that the 77, though ive yet to see any info on what the preout voltages are.
I never knew it would be hard to choose a HU but then again, im sure all of this searching will pay off when i get the thing.

Cheers all that have replied, has helped me alot
Dom
AdiSRI

7th Jul 04 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

JVC used to make good units, i dunno if there still good now.

Get either alpine or pioneer, neither will disappoint you, personally id go for alpine as i would prefer a stereo to sound good than look flashy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll