corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine Overheating

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine Overheating
paddy.corsa

User status: Offline
23rd Jul 03 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My engine seems to be over heating, even on quite short journeys. Does anyone what causes this and if there is a way in stopping it as its starting to do me head in!!!
stuyw

23rd Jul 03 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check thermostat. does fan come on??
paddy.corsa

23rd Jul 03 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes fans kicking in. Thats what i dont understand, is it true that 1.6 radiators are the same as the 1.2's. Ive just done an engine swao but still have the original radiator in, is it too small?
stuyw

23rd Jul 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

am sure the gsi radiator is bigger m8. how far does the temp gauge get to before fan kicks in?? having a smaller rad may be ur problem
paddy.corsa

23rd Jul 03 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fans kicks in at about 100, i was told that this radiator should be able to do the job! Is there anything i can do for now until i have chance to go and buy one?
J da Silva

23rd Jul 03 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had this problem in past,ignored it and blew the head gasket,n cylinder head, good that uve asked for help before it gets worse, probably your rad too small but also check everything, is fine around ya engine,rad coolant level,water levels,oil checks,water pump,oil pump and stuff like that,have a really good check round,n if your still stumped,then its probably the rad itself
Kenni

23rd Jul 03 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sports/gsi/sri rads are bigger than lesser models.

If the overheating problem is new (and dont forget your car will take longer to warm up in the winter than summer) then just putting a bigger radiator wont solve the problem, it will just suppress it. THe enigne is designed to run with that sized radiator, unless you have engine mods which will make it hotter.

Check if your rad or connecting hoses are
not blocked. Check whether the thermostat in the engine is opening properly.

Change of coolant sometimes help to cool things.
miles

23rd Jul 03 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt its the rad. I know someone who runs a 1.2 rad with a 2.0 16v with zero problems.

I reckon you've got a block somewhere. Next time you drive it and it gets hot, get out and feel if the actual radiator is hot. If not then the thermostat isn't opening.
miles

23rd Jul 03 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with kenni, a coolent flush and replacement would be a good start as well. Dont forget to use antifreeze because it keeps the water cooler in the summer as well....
Neshol

23rd Jul 03 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a 1.4 16v n my fan is always kicking in to cool the engine down, the temp just shoots up as soon as i aint movin. if im movin its ok obv, but if the engine is warm n i stop with engine runnin, fan is guaranteed to kick in after a cpl of mins.
Mark Petty

24th Jul 03 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 1.4 aswell and my car overheats really quickly and my fan turns on as soon as it nearly hits 100 c. It cools down to half way then it goes up again. I went to a garage and asked them why my car overheats so much and the bloke said its normal for corsas so don't worry about it.
Corsa^Dan

24th Jul 03 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

once mine starts too rise it goes quick.. mines 1.2 tho
corsaon18s

24th Jul 03 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought that was supposed to happen, the fan comes on when the thermostat opens when the water gets hot. whats wrong with that? if you dont got any coolant in the water as soon as it hits 100 it means the water is goin to boil (i got that from science in school) and with the way most of us drive its understandable that the car heats up quicky. bleed the system cos it may have air in it cos as soon as water boils it releases gases. fruckin hell dont i seem smart today, i think i better go and put my head in the freezer for a bit! toodle pip!
and-m

24th Jul 03 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles
I doubt its the rad. I know someone who runs a 1.2 rad with a 2.0 16v with zero problems.

I reckon you've got a block somewhere. Next time you drive it and it gets hot, get out and feel if the actual radiator is hot. If not then the thermostat isn't opening.

True but the fan switch is actually on the rad itself so it wouldnt be switching itself on if it wasnt getting hot.

Id do a full coolant flush though with the required level of anti freeze/summer coolant.
miles

24th Jul 03 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, In a pressurised system the boiling point will be raised.
Kenni

24th Jul 03 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the charactristics of most vauxhall engines. The temp rises quickly if stood idle for a few minutes. Aslong the fan kicks in at under 100c and the temp drops then everything is fine. Its hardly OVERHEATING unless the needle reaches the RED, then you worry.

Mark Petty

24th Jul 03 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kenni
Its the charactristics of most vauxhall engines. The temp rises quickly if stood idle for a few minutes. Aslong the fan kicks in at under 100c and the temp drops then everything is fine. Its hardly OVERHEATING unless the needle reaches the RED, then you worry.

Yeah this is true. As most corsa's run about 90c average. If it gets to 100c when the fans kick in this is only 10c more it isn't exactly much.
Mikorsa16v

24th Jul 03 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just looks a lot on the gauge
Black Corsa SRi

24th Jul 03 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Petty
quote:
Originally posted by Kenni

Yeah this is true. As most corsa's run about 90c average. If it gets to 100c when the fans kick in this is only 10c more it isn't exactly much.

yeah its just everyone panics because of the design of a corsa temp gauge as the 90 which is normal is acutally in a postuiion where cold would be on most cars if u understand and cause it only stats mid range and has a range of 10 degrees it looks like temp goin up loads when its not really!

Oh and mines a 1.4 16v and warms up really quick when stood still it is just normal
J da Silva

24th Jul 03 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by miles

thermostats fail open mate
miles

24th Jul 03 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok.

im sure some scenario could make one stick shut! lol
J da Silva

24th Jul 03 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

built to fail that way,good thinkin though
greycorsa

24th Jul 03 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

disconnect the temperature needle
ainsley_brader

24th Jul 03 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thermostats fail shut a lot more often than they fail open!
M4tt

24th Jul 03 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines a 1.4 16v and does it too... i know it's normal and that... but why does me car feel sluggish when it get's to 100c??

is it cause there is too much hot air being sucked into the engine, or is it designed to reduce power to stop it heating up?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll